Did Jessica Lynch desearve the Bronze Star?

Did Jessica Lynch desearve the Bronze Star?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
:cry: how can they even considered of giving that coveted of an award to someone who said that she cried when it happened their were a lot more people who went through a lot worse

Maybe something happened that we don't know of?

And that it was her treat in some way to do something her top-dogs wanted?

Haha, no worries there, I do the same thing sometimes. What's bad is that I do it in actual conversations, too.

That is no good sign, you can loose the discussion sometimes.

Trust me.. I have done it.. To many times.. :?

My boyfriend always wins.. Just cus he is educated about everything that has with WW II or other wars for that sake..

He is like, teaching me sometimes..

Still, I claim things I know I am wrong of..

Just because I can.. :p

As a Vet, I say NO she does NOT deserve the bronze star....a Purple Heart?...ok but the one's that deserve the Bronze Star are the ones that rescued her. if it weren't for them, Jessica Lynch wouldn't be here today.

Did anyone mention that her rifle jammed? I'm inferring it was not properly cleaned (if at all). She herself said after her rifle jammed she collapsed on her knees and starting crying and praying (SPORTS anyone?) Those who can't handle the stress of combat should not be in the military.

FutureRANGER said:
Did anyone mention that her rifle jammed? I'm inferring it was not properly cleaned (if at all). She herself said after her rifle jammed she collapsed on her knees and starting crying and praying (SPORTS anyone?) Those who can't handle the stress of combat should not be in the military.

Oh man.. What a woman.. :roll:

Sorry for the lateish post, but i just joined

I think that she didn't deserve anything, esspeically not all the publicity, woopty-****in-do she got captured, after her convoy got lost. Big deal, its not like she got sent into combat and got captured, than yea maybe it could have been a big deal but still nothing for a bronze star.....i thought the bronze star was for people who go above and beyond the call of duty.....not for an idiot who gets lost and captured....yes the purple was a proper award because she got wounded and as XARMYSGT said the people who rescued her should be the ones getting the awards

Everyone who serves deserves recognition,although, her personal actions did not merit such a high honor. However,I can see the propaganda value in it. I hope it doesn't cheapen it for those who earned it the old fashioned way.

I agree with 13 Fox, she should get some recognition for even SERVING in the military but having your convoy overrun, getting knocked out, being taken a POW, having other soldiers come rescue her, should NOT give her a medal. thats just insane, I dont even think they gave the men who rescued her a medal did they? Well, i think its political correctness. Otherwise, if the Army didnt give her a medal, it would be "sexist". Which is extremely crappy. But oh well...

Jessica Lynch is a (likely permanently) disabled American War Veteran that has been the target of the most vicious smear campaign I have ever seen against a soldier - simply out of the ignorance of many and the fact that her story received such publicity.

She was awarded a Bronze Star. She WAS NOT awarded the Bronze Star with "V" Device. She was awarded the plain old Bronze Star. Among conventional troops - it is the most commonly presented award in the US Army during wartime. All it has meant since its inception is that the wearer has seen the Tiger - and in doing so, served with merit and honor. Heck, I personally know several people who were awarded the Bronze Star that say they weren't really near the action in question, just in that unit. Lynch was not only in the thick of it - she was injured by it and taken prisoner.

The Bronze Star IS NOT an award for valor. To denote that (in cases where the Silver Star is not warranted), the Bronze Star can also be awarded with a "V" device.

Anyone here been a POW? Anyone here know exactly what happened to her after her capture? Any of you actually there?

I apologize for passing judgement without checking what I thought were my facts.

Thank you for the clarification, Sir.

Rnder I agree with you 100% about the negeative press that this soldier had received. It's truly amazing.
The exact wording concerning the awarding of a Bronze Star is:
"For Heroic or Meritorious Achievement of Service, not involving aerial flight, in connection with Operations Against an Opposing Armed Force."
Also regarding the device that Rndr referred to
"Bronze "V" device worn to denote Valor/Heroism.
Second and subsequent awards are denoted by bronze Oak Leaf Clusters;
a silver Oak Leaf Cluster is worn in lieu of five bronze."
One other thing, I can't speak for anyone esle but I do not believe Pvt. Lynch's Bronze Star takes away from anyone else's including mine, cluster and all. I am happy when any soldier gets recognized for what they've accomplished or endured. I am extremely grateful that we have such fine people that are willing to be there when others are not and I wouldn't think of detracting from anything any one of them has done. And yes I would also like to see her rescuers recognized as well.

Who’s eligible for the Bronze Star?
A. Authorized by Executive Order 9519, (Bronze Star Medal), Feb. 4, 1944, superseded by Executive Order 11046.

B. Awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States, distinguishes himself after 6 December 1941, by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, under any of the following circumstances:

(1) While engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States.

(2) While engaged in military operations involving conflict with an op-posing foreign force.

(3) While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

C. When the Bronze Star is awarded for heroism, a bronze letter "V" (for valor) is worn on the suspension and service ribbon of that medal.

Bronze Star Medal Criteria

The Bronze Star Medal may be awarded to individuals who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States in a combat theater, distinguish themselves by heroism, outstanding achievement, or by meritorious service not involving aerial flight.

Devices
Additional awards are denoted by oak leaf clusters. The "V" device is worn when the Bronze Star Medal is awarded for heroism.

OK so it boils down to if she qualifies to this statement "by heroic or meritorious achievement or service"

Heroic? Not hardly. Meritious achivement or service? Did she merit it? Did her actions do anything to merit it? I think not. She was knocked unconcious after failing to fire her weapon and captured. Unable to resist, not even presented with a situation where she could resist, short of initially firing her weapon. She was bedridden in a hospital.

I conclude, IMO, that she doesn't qualify but it is not my place to pass judgement, as RnderSafe said. Just my opinion.

Heroic? Not hardly. Meritious achivement or service? Did she merit it? Did her actions do anything to merit it? I think not. She was knocked unconcious after failing to fire her weapon and captured. Unable to resist, not even presented with a situation where she could resist, short of initially firing her weapon. She was bedridden in a hospital.

Out of YOUR own post. "(2) While engaged in military operations involving conflict with an op-posing foreign force."

You are correct that you are not qualified to pass judgment, you aren't qualified to offer up a valid and intelligent opinion on the matter. She volunteered to serve her country, have you done that? Until you have, you should keep your mouth shut young man, and know your place. Your opinion is out of ignorance. When you do even 1/4 of what that young lady did, then maybe you can talk. And btw, I know Rangers that have gotten bronze stars for less, so keep to what you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back