Detainee Voter Turn Out Overwhelming

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

BAGHDAD, Iraq Nearly 90 percent of all eligible security detainees in Multi-National Forces-Iraq Theater Internment Facilities participated in today’s democratic vote on the Iraqi National Ballot.
MNF-I took special care to ensure that every eligible detainee who wanted to vote was afforded the opportunity. Balloting opened early this morning and continued until all eligible detainee’s passed through the polling stations.
Voting took place at Camp Bucca, Abu Ghraib and Fort Suse TIFs. Extending the vote to all eligible Iraqis is another example of how the rule of law is helping to strengthen the Iraqi society. The right to shape a free and representative democracy is not a privilege for few, but a right of all Iraqis.

This is taking absentee voting above and beyond the norm. I daresay they don't do this with prisoners in the US. It would appear that in an effort to ensure a representative democracy all excuses are being removed through the wise actions such as this.

Everyone needs to understand first that they are not prisoners, they are detainees held as security holds under UN Mandate 1546/1637. They have not been convicted and therefore are eligible to vote. Even in the US, you are allowed to vote if you have not been convicted of a felony.

These individuals are an extremely influential group in Iraq. By allowing them the opportunity to vote, they will not have the excuse to say, "this is not my Constitution or Government because they didn't let me vote." By allowing them to do this, it takes that excuse off the plate. 87.6% turnout at the polls.. US politicians can only dream of turnouts like that.

Note of interest... Team Infidel is the senior elections officer for detainees in Iraq..

Thanks Chief. We are doing our best to set the Iraqi Govt. up for success so we can get the hell out of here.

Back