Destroyers of 60 years

wolfen

Has anybody ever heard of this book? Its hard back with a Blue cover, has pictures and info of all American Destroyers from DD1 to the Bainbridge DLGN 25.
My father had a copy and now that he's dead my aunt ( who is a biteoch) has it and probably burnt it by now :(
the only book I have from My father is the 1963 med cruise, withe the Enterprise battle group

Ok my dad had this big book bound in a Blue Hard cover with nothing on the front except a Navy seal and the words "DESTROYERS OF SIXTY YEARS" I remember this book cause it was my favorite book that he had from his Navy days, it started with DD1 U.S.S Bainbridge and ended with DLGN 25 U.S.S Bainbridge. Does anybody have any idea where I can find a copy of this book? My dad died in '97 and the book got lost between the executor of his will and me. So far I have tried Google, ask.com dogpile, and the US Navy archives to no avail, I'm assuming that this book was either issued to the crew of the Bainbridge, or only mad in a limited number.
If anybody knows where I can purchase, beg, borrow, or steel this book PLEASE let me know.

Man I never got a email reply from that so I never even thought to check it, THANKS A MILLION man.
thanks to Gunner13 too, sorry its lats, I feel dumb

Hey Gunner, sorry I haven't said thanks for so long Damien435 just posted to my other post about this post, I never got an email about your post so I never checked, THANKS A MILLION man, this book is more important to me than ANY other book in existence.

Gentlemen I have a book titled Destroyers of 60 years :)
It was originally owned by Sweps of OC division on the USS Bainbridge in 1962
I am so happy, the book is EXACTLY liek it was in 1962, I'm serious about this, it has held its age perfectly.
Thank you again guys, you were a big help. Owning this book means as much to me as the honor I feel thinking back on my own service.

Has anybody ever heard of this book? Its hard back with a Blue cover, has pictures and info of all American Destroyers from DD1 to the Bainbridge DLGN 25.
My father had a copy and now that he's dead my aunt ( who is a biteoch) has it and probably burnt it by now :(
the only book I have from My father is the 1963 med cruise, withe the Enterprise battle group

I would be interested in the book also, as I was on the USS Bainbridge DLGN-25, later changed to CGN-25. The Enterprise battle group was probably the Enterprise, Long Beach CGN-9, and the Bainbridge. The Original Nuclear Powered Surface Fleet.

I would be interested in the book also, as I was on the USS Bainbridge DLGN-25, later changed to CGN-25. The Enterprise battle group was probably the Enterprise, Long Beach CGN-9, and the Bainbridge. The Original Nuclear Powered Surface Fleet.
When were you on the Bainbridge? My dad was a plank owner.

When were you on the Bainbridge? My dad was a plank owner.
1970- mid 1974. Was transferred when ship went to Bremerton, Washington for refueling and retrofit. When it came out it was CGN-25.

He might be interested in going to the USS Bainbridge Association web site. He could find some shipmates listed. They also have annual get togethers.

The newest USS Bainbridge is DDG-96.

1970- mid 1974. Was transferred when ship went to Bremerton, Washington for refueling and retrofit. When it came out it was CGN-25.

He might be interested in going to the USS Bainbridge Association web site. He could find some shipmates listed. They also have annual get togethers.

The newest USS Bainbridge is DDG-96.
dam my dad was retired by then :) he retired in '69
he never got a chance to go to the Bainbridge assn website, he passed back in '97
MMCM when he retired K.D Hummell joined teh US Navy in 1944 retired in 1969
I even have his old serieal number from when he was in, I use it as a pasword on sites that want only numbers :)

dam my dad was retired by then :) he retired in '69
he never got a chance to go to the Bainbridge assn website, he passed back in '97
MMCM when he retired K.D Hummell joined teh US Navy in 1944 retired in 1969
I even have his old serieal number from when he was in, I use it as a pasword on sites that want only numbers :)
The Bainbridge was decommissioned in 1997.

Here is a picture of the Bainbridge in September, 1962.
Not readily apparent, "Look Ma! No Stack Gas, oh no stacks."

For larger picture go here:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-b/dlgn25.htm

High resolution photos are available from this link for purchase.

My Avatar is from a painting of the USS Bainbridge DLGN-25.

Last edited:
Yea it was a sad day at the base when she was decomed.
I went from AIMD over to the piers to see her one last time before they took her away.
Thanks for th link to teh pics mate, I'm gonna get me some more.

I liek your avatar too, I have a picture of a painting of her from bow to Stern, full Port side view.

destroyers sixty years

The book that you are askig about was printed in 1964 by Rand & McNally Co. I was aplank owner on the BILLY B. I have it in front of me right now.
the book is in the Library of Congress Catalog number 2-19927.
I hope this is somewhat helpful

I knew your dad , I was tranferred off just before the med cruise to the grand canyon ( destroyer tender) I have a copy of this book

Back