Despite rejecting Prop. 19, Californians lean toward legalizing marijuana

Clearly it's been a while since you've been around the under-21 crowd. ROFLMAO
Notice I said a lot under 21 don't drink, not all. Then there are underage college students(quite a few music majors, seems to be the party crowd) that sit around drinking and doing drugs. But not all under 21 year olds break laws.

Unfortunately I do know some under 21 year olds. One of which drank, wrecked his car at 18 and now has no vehicle. He doesn't need one though, he lives in a zero tolerance state. He won't see his drivers license again until he is 21 (early 2012). Another dumb know it all college student safely removed from behind the wheel. ;)ROFLMAO

Notice I said a lot under 21 don't drink, not all. Then there are underage college students(quite a few music majors, seems to be the party crowd) that sit around drinking and doing drugs. But not all under 21 year olds break laws.
I've never smoked anything in my life, bud. I don't do drugs. But yes, I'll admit it quite freely, I drink. And you know what? To this day, nothing negative has come of it. Quite honestly, if I'm old enough to go to war for my country, I'm old enough to have a beer.
Unfortunately I do know some under 21 year olds. One of which drank, wrecked his car at 18 and now has no vehicle. He doesn't need one though, he lives in a zero tolerance state. He won't see his drivers license again until he is 21 (early 2012). Another dumb know it all college student safely removed from behind the wheel. ;)ROFLMAO
He's an idiot if he drank and got behind the wheel. Regardless of whether or not he is a college student.

But yes, I'll admit it quite freely, I drink. And you know what? To this day, nothing negative has come of it. Quite honestly, if I'm old enough to go to war for my country, I'm old enough to have a beer.

Actually you are not old enough. Your argument for underage drinking was lost when I was your age.

We were old enough to get drafted and go to Vietnam. Because of that, the voting age was lowered to 18, and a lot of states lowered the drinking age also. The resultant increase in fatalities from drinking caused those states to change back quickly.

It was determined that at 18, you are old enough to die for your country, but not by alcohol abuse. :) Look it up.

For this topic, my statement is acurate;
"Not about "trying marijuana", it is about being able to use it legally. A good percentage of people usually avoid breaking laws, so don't use regularly or at all. Once it becomes legal more people will use it.
A lot of people under 21 do not drink, it seems they do start when they become legal at 21." :wink:

Actually you are not old enough. Your argument for underage drinking was lost when I was your age.

We were old enough to get drafted and go to Vietnam. Because of that, the voting age was lowered to 18, and a lot of states lowered the drinking age also. The resultant increase in fatalities from drinking caused those states to change back quickly.

It was determined that at 18, you are old enough to die for your country, but not by alcohol abuse. :) Look it up.

For this topic, my statement is acurate;
"Not about "trying marijuana", it is about being able to use it legally. A good percentage of people usually avoid breaking laws, so don't use regularly or at all. Once it becomes legal more people will use it.
A lot of people under 21 do not drink, it seems they do start when they become legal at 21." :wink:
Not old enough for what? LOL

Just as a personal annotation:

If you are old enough to serve your country and have your name on the line and are actually serving, you are old enough to drink. Legally? No. Rightfully? Damn skippy.

"Hey you! Yeah, you in the uniform! Let's go to war, defend your country, say goodbye to your family, and possibly die for the cause. mmmk?"

"Sure. I can do that. My country is worth it. Want to have a beer before we jet?"

"WHAT!?! No way! You're only 18! That's illegal!"

Anyone but me see the absolute folly in that? You're old enough to make a decision to die for your nation but not old enough to have a beer?

I've never smoked anything in my life, bud. I don't do drugs. But yes, I'll admit it quite freely, I drink. And you know what? To this day, nothing negative has come of it. Quite honestly, if I'm old enough to go to war for my country, I'm old enough to have a beer.
He's an idiot if he drank and got behind the wheel. Regardless of whether or not he is a college student.

Alcohol is a drug Rob. It's abuse leads to many bad things. Not all of them effect just the abuser. Be careful about proclaiming that "nothing bad has ever come out of it".
I fully agree that if you can serve your country, you should be able to have a beer. The problem is the same for every priveledge. You have some people who ruin it for everyone else by abusing it.
That being said. I'm gonna have a beer. LEGALLY. :drunkb:

Just as a personal annotation:

If you are old enough to serve your country and have your name on the line and are actually serving, you are old enough to drink. Legally? No. Rightfully? Damn skippy.

"Hey you! Yeah, you in the uniform! Let's go to war, defend your country, say goodbye to your family, and possibly die for the cause. mmmk?"

"Sure. I can do that. My country is worth it. Want to have a beer before we jet?"

"WHAT!?! No way! You're only 18! That's illegal!"

Anyone but me see the absolute folly in that? You're old enough to make a decision to die for your nation but not old enough to have a beer?

Alcohol is a drug Rob. It's abuse leads to many bad things. Not all of them effect just the abuser. Be careful about proclaiming that "nothing bad has ever come out of it".
I fully agree that if you can serve your country, you should be able to have a beer. The problem is the same for every priveledge. You have some people who ruin it for everyone else by abusing it.
That being said. I'm gonna have a beer. LEGALLY. :drunkb:

OFF TOPIC as Rob intended to HIJACK the thread. Suckers!:drunkb:
How many people join the US military so they can drink? So much for serving your country.:drunkb:

If anyone had bothered to read the topic, they would have found that Proposition 19 would have excluded anyone under 21 from legally using Marijuana.:lol:

I guess since you both think, "I fully agree that if you can serve your country, you should be able to have a beer."

Then your vote for the Topic, would be to lower the age to use Marijuana to 18.;-)

How about this slogan: "I am old enough to die for my country, I am old enough to do it while stoned!":lol:

PS: If you had bothered to pay attention to the topic, you would know that some states lowered the drinking age to 18 when the voting age was lowered. The resultant increase in fatalities in young people caused them to change back. "Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it."

OFF TOPIC as Rob intended to HIJACK the thread. Suckers!:drunkb:
How many people join the US military so they can drink? So much for serving your country.:drunkb:

If anyone had bothered to read the topic, they would have found that Proposition 19 would have excluded anyone under 21 from legally using Marijuana.:lol:

I guess since you both think, "I fully agree that if you can serve your country, you should be able to have a beer."

Then your vote for the Topic, would be to lower the age to use Marijuana to 18.;-)

How about this slogan: "I am old enough to die for my country, I am old enough to do it while stoned!":lol:

PS: If you had bothered to pay attention to the topic, you would know that some states lowered the drinking age to 18 when the voting age was lowered. The resultant increase in fatalities in young people caused them to change back. "Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it."

Chuck,
I should have clarified my position a little better. While I think it SHOULD be ok, I support the current laws. I got a little upset about Rob's comments on alcohol and let him get under my skin. Apologies.

By admitting that he consumes alcohol, Rob has admitted he is breaking the law. (He is underage). Shame, Shame Rob.

In any case the issue is listed in the thread title. While many Californians are leaning toward legalization, not enough of them have yet. This legislation, if it ever passes, will have to survive the courts as well. Not likely to happen.

Back