Deserter Jenkins back on US soil

Tvoi-Vrag

Banned
A former US soldier who deserted to North Korea in 1965 has returned to the US for the first time in four decades.

Charles Robert Jenkins arrived in Washington with his Japanese wife and two daughters.

They were due to travel on to North Carolina to visit his 91-year-old mother, who is ill.

Mr Jenkins left North Korea last year, giving himself up to US military authorities in Tokyo, where he was court-martialled for desertion.

He was given a dishonourable discharge and put in a US military jail in Japan for 25 days.

Mr Jenkins, 65, released a statement before leaving Japan asking for the US press to respect his family's privacy while he visited his mother.

Nevertheless, the Jenkins family were mobbed when they arrived in the US.

There has also been talk among some of the residents of his home town of Rich Square, North Carolina, of staging a protest against the army deserter when he arrives.

Extraordinary story

Mr Jenkins' case has received widespread media attention, partly because very few US soldiers have deserted to North Korea and partly because of his extraordinary life in the North.

Mr Jenkins, who said he deserted to avoid fighting in Vietnam, slipped across the border one night while on patrol in the demilitarised zone between the two Koreas.

In the North he married Hitomi Soga, one of five Japanese abducted by North Korea and freed in 2002. The couple has two North Korean-born children, Mika, 21, and Brinda, 19, and now live on the Japanese island of Sado, 300km (185 miles) north of Tokyo.

Hitomi Soga was 19 when she was kidnapped from Sado by North Korean agents in 1978.

She met Mr Jenkins soon afterwards, when she was introduced to him so he could teach her English.

After his wife was freed and left for Japan in 2002, Mr Jenkins finally arranged, with the help of the Japanese government, to meet her in Indonesia in July, before returning to Japan to face US justice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4093134.stm

TRAITORS SHOULD BE SHOT!

This many years later I think it's time to forgive and forget. Living a life of virtual house arrest in North Korea for 40 years is punnishment enough.

My opinion is, I'll let you come back to see your family but I don't have to like you and neither do any other Americans.

en........i dont think he lives in a bad life in North korea..

he even acts in a North korea propaganda movie as an American...

and he got a japanese wife..

dude, i heard a saying, that if a man really wants to live a good life, he got have three things : 1. American house, 2. Chinese food, 3. japanese wife

He was a deserter, not a traitor. He was not charged with treason, only desertion of which he was convicted and punished. People do many things when they are young that they sometimes live long enough to regret.

CSmaster said:

dude, i heard a saying, that if a man really wants to live a good life, he got have three things : 1. American house, 2. Chinese food, 3. japanese wife

Bah I knew I had it wrong I have an american wife, japanese food and a chinese alarm clock.

:)

Oh well back to the drawing board.

CSmaster said:

American house? U mean the wooden ones with bad insulation that get blown away in hurricanes?

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather live in a cheap crappy big house than in an expensive small house made out of stone.

na...american houses are generally big compared to average japanese or chinese's living place (usually apartment, and super damn expensive and inconvenience, imagine a blackout and u have to walk up to 40th floor)

now back to topic

does anyone here have a problem with that guy of acting as american in North Korea's propaganda movie??

is that sort of betraying his nation? like act as a "imperialist american" which fits North Korean government's propaganda image of what an american is

bulldogg said:
He was a deserter, not a traitor. He was not charged with treason, only desertion of which he was convicted and punished. People do many things when they are young that they sometimes live long enough to regret.

He should have been charged with treason, convicted and stood up in front of a firing squad. He didn't desert to go home and hide out. He deserted to North Korea and took part in their propaganda.

was this a government sponsored/funded film? if so, he should get punishment, if not, hes just an actor, so let him go. and about the desertion, he was punished for that, so thats fine. my 2 cents

Let him come back and see his dying mother, then kick the deserter back to his beloved Korean life... I don't want him in my country if he turned his back on it like that.

The collective sense of compassion and forgiveness is quite evident. Ah, to be young and have made no mistakes yet. Karma has a way of revisiting people, I pray none of you ever require understanding and forgiveness one day.

bulldogg said:
The collective sense of compassion and forgiveness is quite evident. Ah, to be young and have made no mistakes yet. Karma has a way of revisiting people, I pray none of you ever require understanding and forgiveness one day.

There are and will always be consequences for one's actions, regardless of how sorry an individual may be about what they did. Harsh as it may seem, some people do not deserve another chance to make the same mistake again, folks like this Jenkins who show extreme failures of character (and not a momentary one either, but one repeated and perpetuated over several decades) should not be allowed to harm either their country or their fellow citizens again, nor should he be allowed to enjoy the benefits of living in a nation that he betrayed and abandoned, some bridges can't be rebuilt once you burn them.

Forgiveness is all well and good, but to be blunt, if you forget, you're an idiot.

Back