Desert Boots- Danner 8" Desert Rough Out GTX CT VS Matterhorn Desert Boots 10"

vincey

Desert Boots- Danner 8" Desert Rough Out GTX CT VS Matterhorn Desert Boots 10"

Hello Ladies and Gents,

My name is Vincent and I am new here on the forum. I hail from Bombay, India, but I have lived in Dubai for 21 years. I would like you expert opinions on the following boots

Danner
http://militarygear.com/mens-danner-8-desert-rough-out-gtx-ct

Matterhorn
http://www.copshoes.com/c-matterhorn-desert-boots-p-MAT-4402494.html

I am looking for my next pair of desert boots as I have worn my converse boots out and need to replace them. The converse boots were great but over the years I felt the lack of insulation and water proofing. Yes it does get pretty cold in the desert and can also get wet. I have narrowed it down to these two and I cannot make up my mind. On paper they look pretty similar other than the height and the price. Please let me know what you think and if any one on here has had previous experience with these, your input will be invaluable to me.

As for application, I do a lot of hiking in the desert and the wadi's around here. Sometimes is a two day hump through the mountains and pools to the camp site with a full load. I usually never take my boots off right until its time to hit the sack. With the converse sometimes, I never even did that just slept with them and swapped the socks the next day.

So obviously comfort is a major factor, they have to be though as well, as some of the rocks here are razor sharp, I have learned that the hard way and over all built quality is what I am looking for.

I hope this is the right place to ask this question and I hope I will not offend anyone on here me being a civilian wannabe etc. Looking forward to hearing from the experts.

Vincey....

Hello Ladies and Gents,

My name is Vincent and I am new here on the forum. I hail from Bombay, India, but I have lived in Dubai for 21 years. I would like you expert opinions on the following boots

Danner
http://militarygear.com/mens-danner-8-desert-rough-out-gtx-ct

Matterhorn
http://www.copshoes.com/c-matterhorn-desert-boots-p-MAT-4402494.html

I am looking for my next pair of desert boots as I have worn my converse boots out and need to replace them. The converse boots were great but over the years I felt the lack of insulation and water proofing. Yes it does get pretty cold in the desert and can also get wet. I have narrowed it down to these two and I cannot make up my mind. On paper they look pretty similar other than the height and the price. Please let me know what you think and if any one on here has had previous experience with these, your input will be invaluable to me.

As for application, I do a lot of hiking in the desert and the wadi's around here. Sometimes is a two day hump through the mountains and pools to the camp site with a full load. I usually never take my boots off right until its time to hit the sack. With the converse sometimes, I never even did that just slept with them and swapped the socks the next day.

So obviously comfort is a major factor, they have to be though as well, as some of the rocks here are razor sharp, I have learned that the hard way and over all built quality is what I am looking for.

I hope this is the right place to ask this question and I hope I will not offend anyone on here me being a civilian wannabe etc. Looking forward to hearing from the experts.

Vincey....

I have a pair of Matterhorn; I like them, they work well in mountainous terrain and are very stable, I am a hiker as you. I also have a pair of Meindl, the website (Matterhorn) has the German brand Lowa; they are pretty good. Will you buy your boots online or do you have good stores where you are?

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I will have to buy the boots on line. I have done so for a while now and I have the sizes down pretty well. Have not been disappointed yet. Got some Corcoran Jump Boots on the net and some Danner Fort Lewis boots as well. Very happy with the outcome. But shipping charges are a pain lol.

There are only two shops here that sell good boots but the choice is not too good. So the internet is the only option. So do you have the same Matterhorn Boots I am looking at ? How is the water proofing ? Have you had a chance to look at the Danner boots?

Ciao
Vincey

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I will have to buy the boots on line. I have done so for a while now and I have the sizes down pretty well. Have not been disappointed yet. Got some Corcoran Jump Boots on the net and some Danner Fort Lewis boots as well. Very happy with the outcome. But shipping charges are a pain lol.

There are only two shops here that sell good boots but the choice is not too good. So the internet is the only option. So do you have the same Matterhorn Boots I am looking at ? How is the water proofing ? Have you had a chance to look at the Danner boots?

Ciao
Vincey

Hi,

I have these (see the link from the same website you provided with) They have kept my feet dry during wet conditions, as long as I don't get water coming in from the top of them. Gore-Tex boots take forever to dry, therefore I buy me more than one pair. I have never tested Danner; I was looking at a pair of them, but I solved the problem which to buy with the old trick; I flipped a coin. I am sure Danner is a good brand.

http://www.copshoes.com/c-matterhorn-8-inch-boots-p-MAT-1697.html

Take care,

Hey Thanks for the reply, I am leaning toward the Matterhorn boots as well, they just the seem to be better built than the Danner boots plus they are welted all the way around.

What I mean is that the sole is not glued on the Matterhorn boots in the toe box area and the Danner boots have them glued on just like my present converse boots that I had to get stitched as the sole was coming off after a while. Could only stitch is 3/4 of the way round though as the boots have a composite toe. The toe box was then re glued and now after a while they are coming off again. The Danner boots are the same and I believe I will face the same issues.

Ciao
Vincey

Personally I prefer boots from Altberg.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/altberg.jsp

One little trick is to replace the laces on your boots with paracord. They never snap and can in survival situations be used for many things. Try to get the military MIL-C-5040H Type III paracord. In use, the main difference will be strength. Consumer cord will snap at 250-300 lbs. Mil-spec cord will snap at the advertised 550 lbs. Most people will never notice this, because most paracord doesn’t typically take on that kind of weight. But someday you might be in a pinch, and need to rely on the actual performance limits of your paracord.

Hey Thanks for the reply, I am leaning toward the Matterhorn boots as well, they just the seem to be better built than the Danner boots plus they are welted all the way around.

What I mean is that the sole is not glued on the Matterhorn boots in the toe box area and the Danner boots have them glued on just like my present converse boots that I had to get stitched as the sole was coming off after a while. Could only stitch is 3/4 of the way round though as the boots have a composite toe. The toe box was then re glued and now after a while they are coming off again. The Danner boots are the same and I believe I will face the same issues.

Ciao
Vincey

I think the Matterhorn will be good, how often are you out? I am looking more and more at the Lowa, but I don't need to buy new boots for a while, but it is a difference between what you want and what you need. What kind of Altberg boots do you have, 42RM?

Hi 42RM, I looked at the Altberg Desert Mountain Boots, thery are very nice and look sturdy but I believe ther have the soles glued on as well. This is something I want to stay away from.

I3BrigPvSk, I am out and about everychance I get which some times can be every week end when its not hot. But on an average I could say about once or twice a month. In the winter months we stay out much longer for about 3 -4 days, but in the summer months its usually a two days one night thing. We drive up, fool around on the dunes but if we are in the wadi's we take it a bit easier, then camp, break out the guitars etc and drive back the next morning.....while nursing the wounds of the night before lol.

Tried to get the boots this morning, but it looks like the website is not working too well. I got the order conformation number etc and the e mail conforming the same but the card has not been changed.
Used Workbootsusa.com, will wait for a while and then send them an e mail.

Ciao
Vincey

Back