Deployment Choices?

AB_Shorts_Momma

Milforum Otaku
Do you ever get to choose a place you definately do not want to go?

For example, a friend was killed in Afghanastan. That is the only place in the world I truly do not want to go. Is there a way that I can avoid going there?

I was told that we could volunteer to deploy. I wonder if, in the example above, I could volunteer to go somewhere else?

If you volunteer you have some choice in where to go. If you wait to be called up then you will have absolutely NO choice. Wait until you get through basic and AIT. They can't deploy you until you are MOSQ.
Note that even if you volunteer for Iraq or somewhere else, there is no guarantee that you won;t get in country and they decide to send you somewhere else. Not likely to happen but still possible. When I deploy later this year, they aren't even trying to determine where we are going as we won't have any idea until after we get in country.

For example, a friend was killed in Afghanastan. That is the only place in the world I truly do not want to go. Is there a way that I can avoid going there?

I was told that we could volunteer to deploy. I wonder if, in the example above, I could volunteer to go somewhere else?

Something else to consider: you will be training with men and women who will become like brothers and sisters, would you really want to leave them and be replaced by "that guy" when they were going to a country you werent? Especially since it was only because you didnt want to go there.

Movement and career choices are a part of life, I am not saying stay in one place. I am saying consider all of the ramifactions before making a choice on a "deployment preference".

Just listen to the recruiter he will give you a list of options like this:

1. Condo size. Ocean view or Mountain view.
2. Type of car you want.
3. Deployment. Like the Bahamas, Hawaii, maybe the French Riviera if he really likes you.

Realistically depending on testing scores you will be given choices of MOS out of basic. And depending on how high up you graduate on completing training in your MOS gets you first pick of available duty stations. Reenlistment bonuses are high and for reenlist you may have choices of available duty stations.

Back