Depleted uranium

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
We have many ground pounders on this board so I want to ask, is it ok with you morally and personally to use depleted uranium rounds knowing you or some other soldier will have to occupy the ground? The AirForce pilots and the generals who make these decisions never have to be at ground zero and brave the exposure themselves, what do you think?

British Troops serving in Iraq are now being issued with an F Med 1018.

Why not before the Iraq war, Balkans or Gulf War? Are service personnel from other nations aware that British Troops carry this warning card? Are Iraqi Civilians aware of this warning card? Are Civilians aware of this warning card who around the world live near test firing range's. Copies of this card should be made for the Iraqi civilians to turn up at British & American Military establishments in Iraq and ask for testing as it was the US and the UK that used Uranium Munitions. Please distribute the faxed, photo-copy of the card that was sent to me. REMEMBER The MoD have always told Gulf War 1 Vet's DU IS SAFE another demonstration of an UNTRUTH It was said that DU was experimental during Gulf War 1 - then is this another demonstration of the breaking of the Nuremberg Code by observing the health effects on the Veterans after the War?

MOD Card:

DU Information Card (introduced 03/03) F Med 1018

You have been deployed to a theatre where Depleted Uranium(DU) munitions have been used.

DU is a weakly radioactive heavy metal, which has the potential to cause ill health

You may have been exposed to dust containing DU during your deployment

Further Information

You are eligible for a urine test to measure uranium. If you wish to know more about having this test, you should consult your unit medical officer on return to your home base. Your medical officer can provide information about the health effects of DU. Information is also available on the MOD web site: www.mod.uk/issues/depleted_uranium/index.htm

http://www.idust.ne

bulldogg said:
We have many ground pounders on this board so I want to ask, is it ok with you morally and personally to use depleted uranium rounds knowing you or some other soldier will have to occupy the ground? The AirForce pilots and the generals who make these decisions never have to be at ground zero and brave the exposure themselves, what do you think?

Don't put on the Aviators they fire whats loaded and what R&D comes up with.

And frankly if an Armored Infantry Bn in BMP's or a Company of T 72's is rolling up my position and CAS from A10's, firing UD rounds is gonna take em off me I'm clearing that Flyboy hot. UD rounds might cause health problems. But 7.62, 12.7mm or MBT main gun rounds will most definently cause an adverse effect on me and mine.

03USMC said:
bulldogg said:

Don't put on the Aviators they fire whats loaded and what R&D comes up with.

And frankly if an Armored Infantry Bn in BMP's or a Company of T 72's is rolling up my position and CAS from A10's, firing UD rounds is gonna take em off me I'm clearing that Flyboy hot. UD rounds might cause health problems. But 7.62, 12.7mm or MBT main gun rounds will most definently cause an adverse effect on me and mine.

Yes, that´s true. But what about the civil population that live in the area??

Corocotta said:

The hard cold fact of the matter is this. I'm going to use whatever asset I have to protect me and mine. I'm not gonna turn down a flight of Wart Hogs because they are loaded with UD rounds to wait on a flight of Apaches or Hornets with Hellfire or Maverick.

My first responsibilty is to my Marines and will use whatever asset is available to protect them. I don't have the time or inclination to ask a Pilot what type ordanance they have and decide if I want to use. That's a luxarey that you don't have when the Feces hit the fan

03USMC said:
Corocotta said:

The hard cold fact of the matter is this. I'm going to use whatever asset I have to protect me and mine. I'm not gonna turn down a flight of Wart Hogs because they are loaded with UD rounds to wait on a flight of Apaches or Hornets with Hellfire or Maverick.

My first responsibilty is to my Marines and will use whatever asset is available to protect them. I don't have the time or inclination to ask a Pilot what type ordanance they have and decide if I want to use. That's a luxarey that you don't have when the Feces hit the fan

I understand you from a militar point of view. But I am a civilian, and I think in the people drinking from a depeted uranium infected water source or breahing from the air with DU particles.

03USMC said:
An Infantry View Point was what was asked for. Thats what I gave.

Well, I asked: what about the civil population? And you said that you only care for the marines......

In a Combat Situation that's about the size of it. My Marines would be not only my first concern but my only concern.

I would never sacrifice any Marine with me because I was worried about a potential enviromental effect. Their lives at that moment are more important. Do really believe any leader would say.

"Sorry guys. I gotta flight of A-10's on station ...... but. Ya see they are firing UD rounds and I'm worried about possible adverse effects and all. So I'm gonna let that Company of T-72's roll over us. Die in place fellas."

Get real :roll:

In the same vein, at the beginning of OIF I saw a couple editorials condemning the 3 ID's move across the desert because it was "destroying the fragile environment" of the region.

I have never been in a situation where I had to consider that question, bulldog, and I am not Infantry, but at this stage (and I do not ever see this opinion changing) I am entirely on the same page as 03, rather than a moral question it is more one of survival, and until the R&D guys come up with some new Buck Rogers munition to replace UD rounds, I plan to make use of them whenever necessary.

Back