Department of Righteous Shooting Texas Style

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
This link which puts to bed the case of the man who whacked two Goblins, even though they were burgling his neighbor’s house and not his own. Of special note should be this part of the DA’s statement:
I can tell you that the grand jury conducted a thorough review of the evidence and testimony. They considered the relevant criminal statutes in Texas, including those pertaining to homicide, use of deadly force, self-defense, and defense of property. In short, before making their decision, they were as well-informed on the facts and circumstances of this case as any deliberative body could be.
One of the more interesting features of Texas law is that when you are “looking after” a neighbor’s property, you actually have greater leeway, when it comes to violence, than when you’re defending your own.

If you see a goblin coming out of a broken window of your neighbor’s home, for instance, you can take out your scoped rifle and put a .308 bullet into the goblin’s chest—which is more or less what Our Hero did—and generally not be in any trouble with the Law. (If the goblin has just escaped from your house and is running down the road, and you pop a bullet into his back, you will be in trouble. Like I said, interesting.)

So to all the Pissers & Moaners who want Our Hero stuck in jail, the Texas expression is, I believe, “You’re SOL”.

In the specific case above, the Texas expression would be: ”If you feel like burgling a house, you may want to do it in your own country first, before considering Texas.”

A armed man kills 2 unarmed men who were committing a robbery, by shooting them in the back with a shotgun.

Ok, whats the lesson of this story that I guarantee every criminal in Texas has learned today:

Since robbery has now become a Capital Crime in Texas, all you criminals better arm yourselves too. And that's its better to shoot your victim first, rather take the chance he draws down on you.

The one thing this wont do is reduce crime, just look at the Murder rate in Dallas if you don't believe me on that one...

Personally I think its a matter of time before some moron claiming Castle Doctrine shoots his neighbors TV repairman.

So to all the Pissers & Moaners who want Our Hero stuck in jail, the Texas expression is, I believe, “You’re SOL”.

In the specific case above, the Texas expression would be: ”If you feel like burgling a house, you may want to do it in your own country first, before considering Texas.”
Right on!

MMarsh I respect your opinion but do not believe your assesment of what the future holds.

You know what the lesson of this story is?

The criminals in Texas that DON'T have guns (like the two people Mr. Horn shot) ought to go out and get one.

If I was a criminal in Texas I as sure as hell would carry.

Right on!

MMarsh I respect your opinion but do not believe your assesment of what the future holds.

And I respect yours.

I hope you are right, but I am pessimistic. I know if I was a criminal in Texas I would be getting a gun now, in fact I'd probably already have one. I don't think this case will reduce crime an iota.

Also, morally there is just something not right about being legally able to kill 2 unarmed men that really bugs me, -regardless of the circumstance. I get the distinct impression that some people are looking for an excuse to shoot someone.

If you listen to the 911 call, there is a certain enthusiasm in Mr Horn Voice which I find extremely disturbing.

If you want to listen to the actual 911 call (where you can hear the gunshots) link is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLtKCC7z0yc

I think that the fact that two crims caught in the act, came to a very sticky end is a great solution,... for those two.

However I think that giving everyone the right to do it, is a really bad idea. It's slippery slope with lots of possible ugly consequences, as previously mentioned in this thread. Hell, we could just do away with the legal system altogether and deal with crime ourselves. It would certainly reduce the problem of overcrowding in prisons.

"There's those pesky kids from next door retrieving their ball from our yard again. Trespassers!!!.. so that's who's been stealing our pecans, Blat! Blat! problem solved".

Last edited:
You know no matter how hard I try I can't find any reason to be upset that two guys were killed in the commission of a crime and while it may not deter crime it sure as hell curtails re-offending.

However I agree the problem is going to come when someone shoots the next door neighbours kid for climbing through his bedroom window at 2am because he was locked out.

Last edited:
I don't do studies of crime rates worldwide but Texas is a pretty bad place to go with a criminal occupation. If the neighbors don't get you, death row will. Remember "he needed killin' " is still a valid defense plea.

I don't do studies of crime rates worldwide but Texas is a pretty bad place to go with a criminal occupation. If the neighbors don't get you, death row will. Remember "he needed killin' " is still a valid defense plea.

But that attitude has little effect on crime, Texas crime Rate is still high compared to other states.

But that attitude has little effect on crime, Texas crime Rate is still high compared to other states.

Texas is the highest death row cases in the country.

It ain't place for the criminals. Don't mess with Texas, huh?

Is everyone missing the point here, that two men just got executed for burglary?

Bit excessive maybe?

and still, why no spell checker for firefox. I can not spell for crap, and I need to be told whats wrong.

Is everyone missing the point here, that two men just got executed for burglary?

Bit excessive maybe?

and still, why no spell checker for firefox. I can not spell for crap, and I need to be told whats wrong.

Firefox has a spell checker, it may be an addon not sure but I use it all the time just right click on the underlined word.

Fox

And you are proud of it? The fact you have to take a life in order to avenge another is nothing to be proud of. The reason its so high is because MURDER rate is so high and its been that way for decades which proves that Texas's draconian laws might make the citizenry feel good but they don't actually prevent crime. And FYI, I am not anti-death penalty but I take no pleasure in having to OCCASIONALLY use it.

Rabs

The SCOTUS just ruled a week ago that a child rapist in Louisiana cannot be executed for a crime where there was no murder. So if its illegal for the state to execute a child rapist, what does that say about allowing an individual to execute a robbery suspect? Furthermore, the Constitution guarentees everybody the right to a fair trial, if there are state laws that allow the taking of life for the protection of property without trial (mob justice) doesnt that seem to contradict the very essence of the 5th Amendment? Seems to me that the whole Castle Doctrine is about to go under constitutional scrutiny.

And follow MontyB advice, download FireFox 3.0.

mmarsh said:
The SCOTUS just ruled a week ago that a child rapist in Louisiana cannot be executed for a crime where there was no murder. So if its illegal for the state to execute a child rapist, what does that say about allowing an individual to execute a robbery suspect? Furthermore, the Constitution guarentees everybody the right to a fair trial, if there are state laws that allow the taking of life for the protection of property without trial (mob justice) doesnt that seem to contradict the very essence of the 5th Amendment? Seems to me that the whole Castle Doctrine is about to go under constitutional scrutiny.

Another thing that bothers me about this, is what was not his own home, it was his neighbors. Now I am glad he called the cops, that was the right thing to do, but I just don't think you open fire over material goods. Like you said, this man decided to take the justice system into his own hands disregarding the fact

This comes from Texas's own castle law

reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary
to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted
use of unlawful force.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/SB00378I.htm

No where in the bill does it give anyone the right to shoot at someone entering someone else's house.

If you listen to the full call, he repeatedly says that he "is not going to let them get away with this ****"

He was told many many times to not go outside, he was never threatened they never came after him. AFTER he was warned not to go outside no less than 14 times. Rather after he went outside he was actually advanced upon by the burglars is unknown. The man premeditated what he was going to do, and then did it. I wouldn't call it murder for the simple fact that he might, and it probably isn't true, might have been advanced upon after he went outside. (Hard to shoot someone in the back when they are coming at you though, no kidding they where in the neighbors front yard, he went out there with them)

This is at least voluntary manslaughter.
Though it was pretty clear this was premeditated we will give him the benefit of the doubt that he acted by impulse.

Last edited:
This is at least voluntary manslaughter.
Though it was pretty clear this was premeditated we will give him the benefit of the doubt that he acted by impulse.

Having read your last couple of posts on this matter I think I will change my mind and agree with you, while I cant feel a great deal of pity for those shot I think you are correct in saying that the shooter should have been prosecuted.

The milforum has a spellchecker. Look at the upper right corner of the reply box. It's the button that has ABC with a check mark beneath it.

Some of us are just sick and tired of watching our justice system conveniently and consistently fail to properly punish criminals. Judges, mostly liberal, are ruining this country by failing to enact harsh penalties for those folk that prey off of the fortunes of others who have earned what they have.

This man was charged with the protection of his neighbor's assets earned legally. He carried out his duty. Had the two scumbags laid face-first on the ground when confronted with a 12-gauge bore, they'd be alive and released from jail to steal, rape and kill in 3 months.

And I'm surprised y'all don't understand the Castle Doctrine as well as you think. To fall under that defense, a crime has to be committed through a burden of proof by an investigation. If Johnny-come-home-late is sneaking into his window and Joe Neighbor puts a boat tail .308 into his chest, Joe Neighbor will be charged and convicted of manslaughter. That's plain and simple.

And if this makes Chris Criminal pick up a rusty Jennings .22 or a POS Glock turned sidewise all gangsta style, I say let him - it'll make the case all the better for us trained, well armed homeowners that put two in his chest and one in his head while he's trying to figure out why that sideways aim can't give him a proper sight picture.

This was a good shoot, and two less scumbags are out there raping your mom, stealing your stuff, mooching off the welfare system.

It's time that we Americans stop pandering to the dirtbags. If we had the gonads to take crime into our own hands, there would be no more crime; rather than making the good guys seem like criminals in the courts.

Not to mention the fact one of the dirtbags was initially going toward the shooter. I think it ought to be National policy.

Back