DEP Branch Switch

Corospiris

Hello,

I have been in the DEP for USAF for three months now...I've been having weight issues (max weight is 202 at 72", currently at 205), and have been working my ass off (I went up to 225 lbs after I completed my first MEP trip, and dropped it down to 205 where my body just....stopped losing weight. I up'd my excerise a little bit, and adjusted my eating habits to take in less calories, but I still am not losing weight!)

So, I figure they are goin to push my date back, and so it got me curious looking into other branches, where I noticed Navy offers a better job (computer programming instead of Admin Area that I'm in the DEP program now for).

So, my question is, if they push my date back, can I get out of the DEP for USAF and join the DEP for USN?

Hello,

I have been in the DEP for USAF for three months now...I've been having weight issues (max weight is 202 at 72", currently at 205), and have been working my :censored: off (I went up to 225 lbs after I completed my first MEP trip, and dropped it down to 205 where my body just....stopped losing weight. I up'd my excerise a little bit, and adjusted my eating habits to take in less calories, but I still am not losing weight!)

So, I figure they are goin to push my date back, and so it got me curious looking into other branches, where I noticed Navy offers a better job (computer programming instead of Admin Area that I'm in the DEP program now for).

So, my question is, if they push my date back, can I get out of the DEP for USAF and join the DEP for USN?

I am no recruiter, but from what I understand you cannot change branch while in DEP. I would recommend that you ask a recruiter, just not yours (they wont want to lose you). You can renegotiate your contract / reclass for the USAF (I believe) and get into a job that you like better. The recruiters are there to get you into the military, they are also supposed to help you make good career choices, ask them.

As far as weight issues, step up your PT grogram a lot. You will hit a plateau where you stop losing weight, but you just need to change your program a little. Run more, do more PU's and SU's. When you think you are done, do it again. Hit the gym, the track, and the pool. When you get up in the morning, do PT. Before you go to bed, do PT. No more fast food, frozen dinners or pizza. Eat salads, chicken and homemade sandwiches. If you want to lose the weight, do it.

If you dont lose the weight you will regret it, and it wont be because they move your ship date because they wont.

Congratulations on your decision to join the military, and welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
Listen to Spartacus about the diet.

If you really want to lose weight do the following WITHOUT EXCEPTION...

Nothing to drink except WATER... no beer, no gatorade, nothing but H2O

Nothing fried, nothing.

No processed sweets, fruit only.

And RUN RUN RUN...

If you are truly serious post up your current weekly training regimine and your contracted ship date and you will receive all the help you need to meet your goal. If you're not serious, do not respond to this post.

Also cut down on carbs. This will be decisive. Bread and rice are a no no. Some people mistake rice for some kind of diet food (because a lot of Asian people are skinny) but this is not true.
Also drink LOTS of water. This will do many things:
1) It will make you less hungry
2) It will help excrete fat from your body (water REALLY helps this)
3) It'll keep you hydrated so more able to exercise.
Drink water often in moderate quantities. This way you will take in more water than glug it in down at once. Also avoid very cold water. Your body takes in less cold water than water closer to room temperature.
If you're peeing clear, that means you're hydrated. If you pee bright yellow because you take vitamin C, that's fine.
Your diet should be primarily salads without dressing. Bits of meat on top are fine. But the dressing HAS to go. Also, cabbage based food is very good. There are many ways to prepare cabbage, it is cheap, filling, and will help shed you pounds as well.
Remember to take multi vitamins during this time because your body will be taking in less nutritious food.
Non-fat milk is also a good choice a glass per day will do you fine..
Calcium tablets are also highly recommended. Calcium helps you lose weight.
Do NOT eat after 7PM.
Run, but what you want is a slow run for long periods of time. Running fast while overweight will
1) overstress your knees
2) tire you out too quickly before you get to exercise properly. Especially true when you're just starting out and when there's no angry b**tard chasing you armed with all the profanity known to mankind.
So don't run fast. Just hold a nice, steady pace. When your workout is in full swing, make sure that you're running at least 2 hours. When you're first starting off, you might want to be incremental. First two days, run for 30 minutes, then increase it to 45 minutes, then increase it to 1 hour, then an hour and a half, then two hours. You should be reaching the two hour mark by a week and a half.
Don't think this is a military workout. It's not. It's a nice civilian workout for someone trying to lose weight without destroying all his knees.

If you are truly serious post up your current weekly training regimine and your contracted ship date and you will receive all the help you need to meet your goal. If you're not serious, do not respond to this post.

I was kinda hoping to see if he would do it before we post Sarn't.
the_13th_redneck said:
Don't think this is a military workout. It's not. It's a nice civilian workout for someone trying to lose weight without destroying all his knees.

Wait... theres a difference between a civi workout and a military one??? Here all this time Ive been doing it wrong...

Back on topic...

Basically what I mean is its not based on some kind of training regimen in the military. Its just a nice little thing for a civvy trying to lose weight.
Sorry for the confusion.

Well... either
1) He didnt like what we posted and decided to go ask someone else until he got the answer he wanted
2) He decided that he wants to wait and "have them delay my ship date" and see what really happens
3) He forgot his password and cant log in and doesnt remember where he posted.
You pick.
Wishy washy and unmotivated. Thats why we DEPs have such a good name.

Back