Denver Broncos fullback out for season

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

ARNIE STAPLETON

Associated Press

DENVER - Broncos fullback Cecil Sapp will miss the rest of the season because of a broken left leg, but linebacker Al Wilson could return to practice this week after injuring his neck in the Broncos' loss to Seattle.
Sapp was hurt while returning a kickoff with about three minutes left in the Broncos' 23-20 defeat Sunday night. He was tackled by Niko Koutouvides and Lance Laury and was bent backward in the pile.
One of Denver's top special teams players, Sapp was placed on injured reserve Monday and will have surgery sometime this week. There wasn't an immediate corresponding roster move.
Sapp is the fifth Denver player lost for the season. The other four all were sidelined by knee injuries: defensive end Courtney Brown, left tackle Matt Lepsis and safeties Sam Brandon and Nick Ferguson.
Wilson was immobilized and carted off the field after spraining his neck going for a fumble. Coach Mike Shanahan said Wilson still had some numbness in his shoulders Monday.
"I was obviously happy to hear the MRIs were negative, the X-rays were negative. He was released out of the hospital last night around 11:15. That was a good sign," Shanahan said. "Hopefully, he feels good Wednesday."
Shanahan said Wilson could practice Wednesday if the numbness subsides.
After about a 10-minute delay while doctors tended to Wilson, Keith Burns took his place and the Broncos surrendered three straight scoring drives.
"You could feel it on the sideline. I mean, I was affected by it," Shanahan said. "When a guy sits there and he's can't feel his fingers and he's got something that he's never felt before and watching him there for about 10 minutes, yeah, you're concerned for a guy's health."
The Broncos (7-5) have lost three in a row for the first time since 2003.

Back