Democracy 'not needed' in Russia

OK lets make it simpler. Lets just assume that the impending environmental crisis is serious, perhaps we disagree there, but that's not the issue here. Now that would effectively place us on a war footing since the damage which could be done is greater than any war, except perhaps a global nuclear conflict.

Now in wartime capitalist countries didn't they 'infringe' peoples rights by forcing them to fight, by forcing them to be rationed, by expecting large compromises in working conditions, for not allowing them to switch the light on without drawing the curtains, by compromising their privacy through having identification papers?

In short when a crisis comes everyone has to stop being selfish and start to work for the good of the state and take responsibility for their actions. That didn't produce a Totalitarian state in the UK in WW2. You can't have total freedom anytime and less still in a crisis, that is anarchy and this just doesn't work when you need to organise and make people do the key important things which affects everyone else.

If someone wants to have the freedom to do something which doesn't hurt others that fine. However, when that is not the case the state has a responsibility to act. That's what I believe anyway.

By the way, talking about evading the issue, do you think the state was wrong in imposing legislation on the motor industry for poisonous exhaust emissions? (not greenhouse gases)

Last edited:
By the way, talking about evading the issue, do you think the state was wrong in imposing legislation on the motor industry for poisonous exhaust emissions? (not greenhouse gases)

Not going to bother with the rest of the bollocks but I'll answer this one because it's the only good point you made. The Government was right in doing so. This is called a policy that has been implimented through a democratic process. In accordance with public demands, the elected members of government float an ordinance to limit emissions, enforced by penalties and incentives.
The only reason why a democracy is maintained is because people have power. And by meaning that people have power, we mean people have money. When the Government owns all, the people simply don't have power and this sort of system will fail pretty much overnight.
And how does that money get into those people's hands? Capitalism.
Regulation of capitalism is necessary. Here you have given an example of people who have the power to vote and to lobby due to wealth accumulated through capitalism who have put pressure on the government to limit emissions. This has in turn put some regulation on companies which are heavy on emissions to clean up their act.
It's still capitalism.

News Flash: We're not in any real crisis.

Not going to bother with the rest of the bollocks but I'll answer this one because it's the only good point you made.... News Flash: We're not in any real crisis.

Well as I expected, you think it's bollocks because you think climate change is bollocks, not because you have the remotest idea of how to answer the question, it undermines your whole argument. i.e. There are critical times when the market has to be circumvented.

An interesting way of putting it,
'people who have the power to vote and to lobby due to wealth'
straight from the horse's mouth. Now here is where I agree with you entirely. The Motor industry lobby, the Fossil fuel lobby, the tobacco lobby...... The entirety of Western politics is not determined by your average Joe but powerful corporate lobbyists who mainly represent themselves. The actual reason why they agreed in this case was due to the availability of a technical fix called a catalytic converter (and associated engine management system) which theoretically reduces primary emissions by a substantial amount, and the cost of which they could pass on to the customer. More stuff, more turnover, not really that painful for them if it's a level playing field. Secondary emissions (the thing they were really trying to get rid of) and Carbon Dioxide is another thing altogether.

PS could you please remove your comment implying I am a racist on the other thread or at least provide the reasoning behind it underneath.

Last edited:
Back