Delighted to be here

Cascawriter

Greetings one and all.

My name is Tony Roberts and I have the honour to be the latest writer in the long running military action series 'Casca' which was created by the late Barry Sadler, Green Beret, Vietnam veteran and the writer of the famous song 'Ballad of the Green Beret' which was a huge success in 1966.

Through my stories and the website associated with the series, www.casca.net , I have established friendly contact with many serving and retired military personnel around the world who enjoy the series.

As for me, I approach my 50th year with optimism even in these difficult times. I live in my home city, Bristol, in the South West of England, with my partner Jane and two tabby cats who are the venerable age of 16. I currently work for the British civil service and have done so for much of my 30-odd years of my working life, but have even fitted in a short career in airport security.

I have always been interested in military history and while not in any way an expert, I do like to read up on the subject whenever I have the time, or listen to retired soldiers who tell me of their experiences. I remember, for example, way back when I was about 14 I visited an elderly gentleman in his 80s who served in Italy in World War One and he told me of incidents that would never make the history books. I have had boyhood friends who joined the British army and stories they brought back made me sit up in surprise. Just goes to show you can never believe what you are force fed by the media and books.

Glad to be here on this forum.

Tony Roberts

Thanks. I wonder what military period most people are interested in?

Welcome to the site, I had be happy to oblige with that question.
Myself. Mostly 20th Cetnury. I can't have a favourite period because warfare changed so much in those 100 years. So yeah, I like researching all of the 20th Century.

Wow! You met someone who fought in Italy in WW1? I read up on that and I was shocked at it. It was a bloodbath. 12 battles in the same spot. Still, it took pressure off the western front.

Back