Delayed Entry Program

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
Well I have done it, I have enlisted in the USMC with a ship date summer of next year. Basically I am going reserves with a non combat MOS(which according to my recruiter) come in next fiscal year with the starting of the new governmental budget.

Basically I am asking the question of how do I serve in the military and still meet any goals that I have set and am working towards in the civilain world. One of those is not leaving Georgai as my state of residence. The other is getting into some schooling after I enter the Marines.

Just looking for constructive thoughts or suggestions,all of which will be appreciated.

Right on .. Semper Fi .. do your best ...

Well I have done it, I have enlisted in the USMC with a ship date summer of next year. Basically I am going reserves with a non combat MOS(which according to my recruiter) come in next fiscal year with the starting of the new governmental budget.

Basically I am asking the question of how do I serve in the military and still meet any goals that I have set and am working towards in the civilain world. One of those is not leaving Georgai as my state of residence. The other is getting into some schooling after I enter the Marines.

Just looking for constructive thoughts or suggestions,all of which will be appreciated.

The answer is as simple as it is complex.
Every military branch offers college courses that you can take. It takes a commitment on your part to try to find the time to study, do the work assigned and get your papers in on a timely basis. On top of that, if you want to attend a college after you get out, then you need to apply for the Montgomery (sp) program (I think), and start putting money into the program. I believe the military will match your money so you can see that you could have the money to then attain a Masters in whatever line you were pursuing. To make sure that my information is still current, check with your Personnel Officer or with your Career Officer.

Bottom line: You can do just about whatever you want, {as far as pursuing an education}.

Congo rats Sukio... remember Marine DI's love it when you call them by their first name.

Congrats.

You'll be a reservist I'm assuming the Reserve unit is in Georgia so except for annual training and possible deployments you won't get transferred out of state. You'll also be able to attend school except for training requirements.

I guess you forgot .....

Congrats.

You'll be a reservist I'm assuming the Reserve unit is in Georgia so except for annual training and possible deployments you won't get transferred out of state. You'll also be able to attend school except for training requirements.

Yeah right ...
{Possible deployments????} What happens if they activate the reserve unit and send them to Iraq, Afghanistan, or to one of the stepping off places in the Mideast???

Many, many reservists are on deployments to these areas and are manning the point of the sword in areas where they are being shot at, killed and worse ... kidnapped.

I guess you have forgotten these little details - it isn't JUST a deployment anymore - it's war.

Yeah right ...
{Possible deployments????} What happens if they activate the reserve unit and send them to Iraq, Afghanistan, or to one of the stepping off places in the Mideast???

Many, many reservists are on deployments to these areas and are manning the point of the sword in areas where they are being shot at, killed and worse ... kidnapped.

I guess you have forgotten these little details - it isn't JUST a deployment anymore - it's war.

No :cens: really A WAR? So that's why the were shootin amazing!!! I've been one of those reservist, I'm fully aware of that so save the sarcasm, and your lame attempt to lecture me about deployments. Anybody enlisting should have already wrapped their head around it. Deployments put everything out the window.

BTW: I ain't no unassigned striker. Flex yer anchor on someone else, or go back to the goat locker.

Uhhhh anyways.
I've heard that the chances of being deployed are lower as a USMC Reservist than a US Army Reservist. Information's about a year old I think so I don't know how accurate it is now.

No :cens: really A WAR? So that's why the were shootin amazing!!! I've been one of those reservist, I'm fully aware of that so save the sarcasm, and your lame attempt to lecture me about deployments. Anybody enlisting should have already wrapped their head around it. Deployments put everything out the window.

BTW: I ain't no unassigned striker. Flex yer anchor on someone else, or go back to the goat locker.

Sorry about that ...
I didn't mean to come across as being sarcastic. In these days, to be a reservist is to almost assure yourself a stint on the point of the sword. I am glad YOU are satisfied with your own decision to join the Reserves. My intention, was to make sure this newbie didn't have any daydreams of impressing the girls at home with his new uniform, only to be suddenly awakened when his unit got called to serve somewhere in the Mideast. I have already seen this happen because a young man didn't think about what it really meant to be a reservist in today's Reserves and was ONLY thinking about impressing his girl friend. After joining a local Reserve unit, he was suddenly jerked up short when his unit ended up in Afghanistan and under fire. His letters to his family were filled with his sadness and regret that he ever considered joining the Reserves.

Knowing what it is like on the point of the sword, I think you know where I am coming from. I remember my own feelings when that first bullet whizzed past my head (and I already knew what to expect {Vietnam}). I truly hope that this young man realizes what his chances are for deployment to a war zone (better than 75% in any Reserve unit today).

Again, I apologize if you thought I was finding fault with you .. my intention was to make sure this young man knows what he is facing in today's Reserve. The way HIS post was worded, he believes he can enlist in a Reserve unit, and be assured he will never go on a deployment ... chances of that approach zero. He can ONLY hope that the deployments are in the Continental United States ... and that chance is very very slim .. and .. getting slimmer.

Thanks you guys really!Im sorry that I cant respond often since my computer sorta died, but I have a new lap top so I will be looking into your suggestions Chief Bones, and I called my SNSI in my JROTC unit who is a Lt. Col. who flew for the USMC by his first name and well, lesson learned lol

Back