Defence recruitment is making me fork out money! (Australia)

Not really but I would imagine them driving around in either 6X6 veh or the new bushmaster so instead of walking they would drive most of the time. But thats not always the case.

Just done work with 6RAR and 1RAR recon platoon at Enogerra. 6RAR is really just regular inf blokes. But they drive around sometimes, thats about the only difference. The vehicles at the moment are 6 wheel canvas sided trucks in effect. It is just designed to give them greater mobility.

As for the whole Kapooka thing, I haven't done it cos I'm at RMC, but it is very much a mindset thing I'm told. It isn't any harder than anything else you'll do in the army. Just a big shock to those who aren't preped for it. It's like everyone freaks out about RMC going "oh my god, it's 18 months of kapooka times 100". It's not like that, it's just about mindset. Get reggie, and you'll get through no worries. As for the medics... that's the same for any exercise you do, there will be medics on hand.

hey fellas, im a likely candidate for the Army.

Isn't 3RAR the paratroopers?

i really want to do that

vehicles / parra

I have "heard" that more people get injured in rolling APC's & other asorted vehilces than get hurt jumping? Anyone know if thats true or its just talk?
Also 3rar are moving to SA; its in writing and dated 2007 I've heard this from plenty of people with pips/hooks/crowns and its no secret - anyone know any more on that. Or where in SA will they go? Will they have their wings clipped?
Is anyone on this forum currently at Rifle Wing Singleton? I have been advised they are the only ones who can get the Advanced Soldier Training at Kapooka waived for me. I did Kapooka CIT in 03, since then done MOD1 Reserve IET, RRF, and some exercises. I am down for an upcoming Mod2 so I will be 343-1 by October - then as part of my ARA transfer SCMA has put me down for returning to ECN510 - back to Kapooka for the 35 day reg soldiers course doing stuff I have already qualified on and been doing. SCMA say talk to Singleton Riflewing Via my own unit, my own unit say its up to SCMA so are not talking to Singleton, and I dont' want to stir up any $hit because we all know it rolls down hill!

Any advice appreciated! Either way If I have to go to ARTC besides getting used to the DP1 gear again it should just be revision and can't hurt. But 40 days in Wagga Wagga ....

Cheers!

Well if SCMA have put you back to ECN 510 then that is that so enjoy ARTC. I believe 3RAR will move to SA, were dont know, but it could be back to Woodside, but that is just my guess. They will be Mech so therefore will lose the Para role. About the APC thing I dont have any facts to comment on but you have some good jumps and you have some bad ones that goes with the job.

It'll be Woodside barracks they are moving to, with 16 Air Defence Reg. Woodside is about a half hour drive from the heart of Adelaide, it's up in the hills... Nice place I might add.

Thanks for mentioning that, I was tossing up my preference between 3RAR and 6RAR. Think I will just go 6RAR now.

Wallabies..

Mate where are you at in the pipeline? Your general enlisting I take it? I have a mate in 6rar recon, he loves Brisvegas. Just don't set your heart too early on a particular unit. People also joina unit think yeah I'll have a go at the SFET or transfer closer to home but you normally build up pride in your unit and every other unit becomes inferior... hahaha I know guys who are all over the shop but after 12 months they all seem happy and settled.

I wonder what will happen to the old faithful when the Woodside thing comes up - morale ?heaps of guys discharging? and everyone going through Singo will be posted to 3rar, and they will not deploy for a few years until they build back up.

I think Sydney losing a general entry battalion will hurt their recruiting chances in NSW. So many reserves go reg to join 3rar. I understand them losing their wings, you don't need 3 & 4 to be airborne.

Some guys in my unit have gone away with 3rar to tullyand other exercises, and they get the hard word put on them to go full-time into 3rar. They rig it so they know they going to 3 when they start their reg IET's.

this post goes on and on....

Cheers!!!

Yeah I'm going to ARTC 26th sept for regs then singo for IET. I'm from the Gold Coast so Brisbane is only an hour away in some places.

Re: Wallabies..

mahon said:
Some guys in my unit have gone away with 3rar to tullyand other exercises, and they get the hard word put on them to go full-time into 3rar. They rig it so they know they going to 3 when they start their reg IET's.

I have spent many years in "Old Faithful" and I have never come accross what you are talking about so I think some one is "pissing in your pocket" now that I have said that I have a few mates that are still there and I will give them a call to see what the go is. So wait out.

Part of the reason 3RAR is looking to move back to Woodside is because that is where they are originally from. It is their "spiritual home".

As for people discharging due to a move. I doubt that totally. Why on earth would you discharge just cos your reg gets moved. It is an integral part of military life, you get posted where they want you. If they want 3RAR in Sydney, Adelaide or bloody Hobart, you go there.

As for more on why they are doing it. It has to do with the expansion of Adelaide defence. With the move of one of 1st Armoured sabre Squadrons to Cultana (on rotation mind you), DSTO, RAAF Edinburgh, Air Defence Destroyers, Collins class subs etc etc etc, it's all part of a build up towards Adelaide being more of a "defence hub"as it has been refered to.

Back