Defence recruitment is making me fork out money! (Australia)

Melbourne and sydney are both pricks to drive in. And who the hell would go to Melbourne for the beaches? Melbourne is the best because it is the clubbing capitol of the country, and St. Kilda is good for other reasons :)

Wallabies said:
That's great LIPS, any tips you can give me on what to bring and the like that wasn't on the list they give?

Are you going to Rifleman Wing?????

You will be going to Rifleman wing when you have finished at ARTC. The Army will give you all the stuff you need to have when you get to these places. At ARTC you dont need to much as you will be very busy. Leave your mobile phone, radio, MP3 player and all that sort of stuff at home because you will not be allowed to have it anyway. At IET's things are a bit more relaxed as you will get most of your weekends off. So get some extra clothes sent to you when you get there. Which Battalion do you want to go to??

So is it straight from ARTC to my IET or will I get a week off or something?

Again not sure on the battalions. I couldn't find much info on them on the net. Could you run through them for me?

You will go straight from ARTC to Singleton (no time off) and begin your training.

The Battalions are as follows:

1RAR- Townsville;

2RAR- Townsville;

3RAR- Sydney;

4RAR- Sydney;

5/7RAR- Darwin; and

6RAR- Brisbane.

You might get a couple of days off over christmas you may even be given a week or so but they will let you know when you get there. I have only served in 3 RAR but as far as I am concerned the other two Battalions are very good. Be advised that the only way you will get into 4 RAR is if you succesfully apply and complete the commando selection cse. However they would prefer if you have already served at least 12 months in one of the other Battalions. But I would be concentrating on getting through ARTC injury free. So take it step by step.

Does 3RAR have M113's in it????

Infantry battalion breakdown is

1RAR = Ready Reaction Battalion
2RAR = Light Infantry
3RAR = Parachute Battalion
4RAR = Commandos
5/7 RAR = Mechanised Infantry
6RAR = Motorised infantry

Speaking of how many people make it through ARTC Kapooka I was quite annoyed to find many slugs and morons still in my platoon when we marched out. Kapooka has turned into a resort.

Through family friends I got my hands on the DVD they sent to the families of those who completed ARTC. It shows parts of the "Challenge" and the march out parade, we sure have to stand still for a long time.

Neat! I hope to get into 3RAR then. Sadly its not my choice though...

ARTC training already sounds hard as it is. Some guy showed me pictures from his section's DVD, which even showed pictures of paramedics in the background. I asked him what they are for and he told me that they are for those who get injured/dehydrated. This was for the final challenge i believe.

I like to ask this by the way. Is Kapooka hot as hell around january?

ARTC is not all that hard its just a "culture shock" that will take you a little bit to get over. Jan is pretty hot in Wagga Wagga.

When you complete your BPC(Basic Parachute Course) you get what is called Parachute Allowance and currently it is $2922 p/a. I have never been in 6RAR so I cant comment on them.

Back