Decimal Calendar

What system of measurement to you prefer for length?

• metric

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sae

• fsm (fisherman standard measurement)

• Total voters

ironhorseredleg

Since HooHaa ( :pray: ) broached the subject in a recently locked thread, I thought I'd continue the discussion in this more BS appropriate location.

HooHaa ( :pray: ) is heading a national effort to change October to Octember since it better matches surrounding months and it's just a cool sounding month. I, however, propose we go a step further and move to a decimal calendar (to heck with all those solar worshippers).

I say we combine March and April into Mapril (none of you will really miss one more march anyway, will you?) and October and November into Octember. Then we give each month 36 days except May-September which will have 37 (go summer !!!). This would give us 10 (count them, 10) months with very easy to remember day counts and still have 365 days in a year. This would remove the last major argument against going with a base 10 system for measuring everything. :-D

Whaddya think?

ok first off. you put way too much thought into this one. we shall stick with the gregorian calendar. it is not a sunworshipping calendar (that is unless Pope Gregory deceived us all) we have not found much fault with it, therefore, it shall remain.

if you do all that craziness, what happens to april fools day :(...you just screwed us out of the best holiday on earth.

If there is to be four weeks in every month should we not have an extra month in the calender bringing it up to thirteen months of in a year. then we could run a competition in naming the extra month, any ideas on what you would call it.

MilidarUSMC said:
if you do all that craziness, what happens to april fools day :(...you just screwed us out of the best holiday on earth.

Yeah, we won't be able to have any fun at all!

hanging.jpg

Before deciding on any change, would somebody please explain fsm (fisherman standard measurement). Is that like some kind of Daylight savings time for months?

FSM is the unit of measurement my dad used when describing the size of fish that got away.

12 inches sae
------------------------

12 inches fsm
------------

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

but i get my license in march! without march, i would have to refigure out when i get my license!
i say NO

Only one thing counts; full moon - HOOOOUUUUUWWWWW! :twisted:

Though, Octember sounds perfectly alright.

Thirty days hath Septober,
April, June, and No wonder,
All the rest have 31,
Except for my Wife and she has 34D. ;)

as the reason for this post being created, i think i should have some imput on this topic.

I think that we should correct the calendar system so that the whole leap year crap is resolved. We should use a calendar that is perfect, and if that means we have to change some of the months around, then so be it.

And Octember sounds so cool, we should change it immediately, and then fix the months.

:rambo:

Okay, here's our choices;
http://www.timeanddate.com/date/leapyear.html

The mean time between two successive vernal equinoxes is called a tropical year, and it is about 365.2422 days long. This means that it takes 365.2422 days for the earth to make one revolution around the sun (the time is takes to orbit the sun).

None of the calendars used today are perfect, they go wrong by seconds, minutes, hours or days every year. To make a calendar even better, new leap year rules have to be introduced, complicating the calculation of the calendar even more. The currently used Gregorian calendar may need some modification a few thousand years ahead. A tropical year is approximately 365.242199 days, but it varies from year to year, because of influence by the other planets

Name of calendar Introduced Average year Approximate
error introduced:

Gregorian calendar AD 1582: 365.2425 days 27 seconds (1 day every 3236 years)

Julian calendar 45 BC: 365.25 days 11 minutes (1 day every 128 years)

365-day calendar: 365 days 6 hours (1 day every 4 years)

Lunar calendar: ancient 12-13 moon-months variable

We need to study Stonehenge or the Aztecs a little closer. We probably killed them just when they had it figured it out.

Back