debunking AR myths... Who makes the best quality AR for civilian use?

DaggerMDK

Alright I'm shopping for an AR for my use as a civilian: sporting, property defense, and of course, because the Man Laws clearly state that every good man needs an assault rifle. I am used to all the piston driven, direct impingement, multi-caliber, fully decked out with Magpul, custom for military style M4/M16/HK 416 rifles. But now that I'm trying to carve down to what I actually need and can afford, versus what everyone wants when the world ends, (I personally believe it's either going to be zombie's or the British will come back for their taxes) I can't really decide whose version of the Stoner design I should buy.

Everyone seems to have a Bushmaster, though I frequently hear they are like Big Mac's or Ford F150's: they mass produced and and don't hold their initial qualities for long. I was going to buy a Colt, but when I heard the American Government refused to renew their 10 year contract with them, I got discouraged. We all know America wants the best for their soldiers, so why did they refuse to resign them? I had my eye on the newest H&K 417, but it's ridiculously expensive, and the truth is, a bit over the top for my purposes. I've looked here and there and have considered ordering a custom from some smaller gun shops, but nobody has impressed me yet.

So now I ask you to go beyond your personal preference and opinions, and ask for the pure facts... Who really does produce the best quality, civilian legal, AR-15 that won't require spending my entire retirement fund?

Thanks,
Dagger

If you're willing, I would recommend a Lewis Machine Tool or Patriot Ordinance Factory AR. They are some of the best american manufacturers but they do require a pretty penny. Bushmaster is decent for your needs but you will see the quality in an hk, pof, or lmt AR and you would probably be happier with one of those. To put it simply, a cheap AR isn't worth your money and you would be better off with an AK or one of its variants. I can recommend you many brands, but in the end its your decision. What ever choice you make you will be happy with it. Good luck and happy hunting.

If I had the money I would buy one of the POF piston driven 308s. You are looking at $3,000 to join the club.

Last edited:
Alright I'm shopping for an AR for my use as a civilian: sporting, property defense, and of course, because the Man Laws clearly state that every good man needs an assault rifle. I am used to all the piston driven, direct impingement, multi-caliber, fully decked out with Magpul, custom for military style M4/M16/HK 416 rifles. But now that I'm trying to carve down to what I actually need and can afford, versus what everyone wants when the world ends, (I personally believe it's either going to be zombie's or the British will come back for their taxes) I can't really decide whose version of the Stoner design I should buy.

Everyone seems to have a Bushmaster, though I frequently hear they are like Big Mac's or Ford F150's: they mass produced and and don't hold their initial qualities for long. I was going to buy a Colt, but when I heard the American Government refused to renew their 10 year contract with them, I got discouraged. We all know America wants the best for their soldiers, so why did they refuse to resign them? I had my eye on the newest H&K 417, but it's ridiculously expensive, and the truth is, a bit over the top for my purposes. I've looked here and there and have considered ordering a custom from some smaller gun shops, but nobody has impressed me yet.

So now I ask you to go beyond your personal preference and opinions, and ask for the pure facts... Who really does produce the best quality, civilian legal, AR-15 that won't require spending my entire retirement fund?

Thanks,
Dagger

Instead of buying a rifle off the shelf.... build yourself one from quality components. A AR-15 isn't that hard to build. Noveske Barrel, a Daniel Defense rail, quality upper and lower receiver, followed by other parts.

Who makes the best receiver? Which receiver is the best? Which receiver is the highest quality?

Of course the answer is that all of them are pretty much the same. The actual brand of receiver means little to nothing. When deciding on which receiver you should purchase you should take into consideration two factors. Price and manufacturer. Of course if price is not an object, get the receiver that has the logo or emblem that you want. I know that is superficial, but the best receiver really boils down to the one you like the best.

There are currently a crap ton of manufacturers that produce lowers and uppers; the majority of lower receivers for the AR market come from these four companies. Mega Machine Shop, Continental Machine and Tool, Lewis Machine and Tool, and LAR. They receive orders from many licensed manufacturers who obtain an ATF variance to have them cut and logo receivers on their behalf. JVP and Superior Arms cut for a couple of different companies as well along with a bunch of smaller companies.

For what it's worth, I'd put my money in a Rock River Arms 16" mid-length with a stainless barrel, 1:8" Wylde chamber, and half-quad free float forend. Get a mil-spec collapsible stock, and the 2-stage chromed trigger. You can price it out on their site (about 1100-1200). You'll get the benefits of a mid-length gas system, a decent trigger, a barrel that not only shoots but FAVORS both .223 Rem and 5.56x45mm NATO and will last WAY longer than a standard chrome-moly barrel, and all you'll need to add is a rear site. Accuracy should be 1 moa or less, yoy can tac it out all you like, and if you really want to be high speed, you can dull the shiny barrel by having it bedded for like 35 bucks. Btw, i just described the gun I'm fixing to get my wife as a bribe to allow me the funds to put together my ideal 20" 3-gun build.

My Kindle doesn't like the edit feature, so here's an add-on...

I recommend the stainless steel barrel because it'll last way longer than a chrome-moly one, and you don't run the risk of cutting down accuracy by going chrome-lined. Also, multi-caliber setups are a joke, unless you're looking at a .22lr conversion setup...for the cost of a typical .308/.223 gun with both uppers and accessories you can have 2 guns, and double your man-club points! Additionally, I prefer direct impengement because you can drop in a .22lr conversion bolt for about 200 bucks and shoot all weekend for like 20 or so.

My Kindle doesn't like the edit feature, so here's an add-on...

I recommend the stainless steel barrel because it'll last way longer than a chrome-moly one, and you don't run the risk of cutting down accuracy by going chrome-lined. Also, multi-caliber setups are a joke, unless you're looking at a .22lr conversion setup...for the cost of a typical .308/.223 gun with both uppers and accessories you can have 2 guns, and double your man-club points! Additionally, I prefer direct impengement because you can drop in a .22lr conversion bolt for about 200 bucks and shoot all weekend for like 20 or so.

Thanks,
Dagger
Smith and wesson ar15 about a thousand dollars and its a real ar. I had a bushmaster and when I fired good ammo it was flawless. Keep it clean and almost any American made ar is decent for civilian use. I also stress use GOOD non coated ammo and you will be fine.

Hi, I am looking for ar 15 lower receivers in lowest prices. It’s just a demo model which I am preparing for my ammunition institute. They want me to make a low range ar 15 receiver. Do you think that I can get cheap material for this project?

ar lower manufacturers

the best thing to do is get a custom made ar-15 for around $700 with a colt action. from the ar-15's I shot thats the best because it allows for bumpfire were as a bushmaster or just about any other "off the shelf" .223 dose not.

the best thing to do is get a custom made ar-15 for around $700 with a colt action. from the ar-15's I shot thats the best because it allows for bumpfire were as a bushmaster or just about any other "off the shelf" .223 dose not.

$700? shoot I can afford that. I thought ARs were 3k-ish.

Back