Death toll in Xinjiang riot rises to 140

chenpengke

URUMQI: The death toll has risen to 140 following Sunday night's riot in Urumqi, capital of northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, the regional government said Monday.
Fifty-seven dead bodies were retrieved from Urumqi's streets and lanes, while all the others were confirmed dead at hospitals, said Liu Yaohua, the region's police chief, at a press conference midday Monday.
He said the death toll would still be climbing.
At least 828 people were injured in the deadly violence that erupted Sunday night.
Rioters burned 261 motor vehicles, including 190 buses, at least 10 taxis and two police cars, said Liu.
As of 9 am, several vehicles were still seen ablaze on Urumqi's streets he said.
A preliminary investigation showed 203 shops and 14 homes were destroyed in the riot.
Police have arrested several hundred in connection with the riot, including at least a dozen who were suspected of fanning the unrest, Liu said.
He said police are still searching for about 90 other key suspects in the city. "Police have tightened security in downtown Urumqi streets and at key institutions such as power and natural gas companies and TV stations to prevent large-scale riots."
Checkpoints have been set up in Urumqi's key areas as well the neighboring Changji and Turpan prefectures to prevent the rioters from fleeing, Liu said.
He said more than 100 ethnic officials from adjacent areas have been transferred to Urumqi for interrogating the suspects according to law.

Attachments

• 1246865040610.jpg
    1246865040610.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1246865062347.jpg
    1246865062347.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1223.jpg
    1223.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 1246861703545_9761.jpg
    1246861703545_9761.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1246861703546_9763.jpg
    1246861703546_9763.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1246861703546_9764.jpg
    1246861703546_9764.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 6
Risen to 156. This was in response to Uighurs who were murdered at a toy factory in Guangdong after some Han Chinese started a rumour that one of them raped a Han woman. Police investigated and the Han Chinese person who started the rumour has been arrested. Uighurs are treated like crap in China and this is the manifestation of some simmering resentment just below the surface.

With what I have seen of official Chinese reporting of such matters, if they say 140 persons, that probably means more like 1400 killed.

Their news sources are just not credible.

You see this is why we're all concerned about the Chinese getting powerful.
But apparently too many folks just don't see it.

And the ones that do are branded reactionary and neo right wing.
Really? Because I see it too.

China worries me, and has for years. I feel we have no choice but to work with them, but at the same time they are a threat, just by their population.

Maybe not by you. But there are elements that sleep with the Devil because of the almighty dollar and continually point out that China is "changing".

Maybe they are....haven't seen a photo of anyone getting run over by a T62 in awhile.

China pumps countless amounts of money into it's PR machine and they've been doing a great job of it. Not only that, but having goods at unbelievably low prices always helps clean up your image.
China is changing in some ways and not changing in other ways, you can attribute that to their extreme pragmatism. When they are brutal, they are BRUTAL. They don't pvssy foot around like we do.

Been saying for a looooonnnnng time that the Devil is coming and he'll have a "Made in China" sticker on his ass.

On the flip side a lot of these Uighurs are the same sort of folks our guys are fighting in A'stan and quite a few have actually fought against our folks there.

Been saying for a looooonnnnng time that the Devil is coming and he'll have a "Made in China" sticker on his ass.
We sacrificed the environment and resources to provide you "Made in China" , and what we get is papers "Printed in U.S".

No one sacrificed anything for anyone in terms of country vs country.
The real sacrifices are made by the workers in the factories who work under atrocious conditions for insanely low pay. Haven't heard of many accidents lately but in the previous years there were so many fires in clothing and toy factories... it was very depressing.

They are still happening but more recently they are 'illegal' unlicensed operations. SCMP (South China Morning Post) reports EVERYTHING... HK paper. Also www.chinasmack.com is an EXCELLENT websource. It has all the chinese news from the internet and tv translated into english by some chinese netizen in Shanghai.

No one sacrificed anything for anyone in terms of country vs country.
The real sacrifices are made by the workers in the factories who work under atrocious conditions for insanely low pay. Haven't heard of many accidents lately but in the previous years there were so many fires in clothing and toy factories... it was very depressing.
Such conditions are why we unionized in America, and look what our business have done.

If we can't exploit our own, we'll exploit someone else...

I remember the South China Morning Post... if I'm not mistaken the biggest newspaper in HK? I'm surprised they can actually report things like they used to before China took over. I guess they've got a lot of powerful friends.

Guess what? that link that you posted? I can't access it.

Regarding the reporting, i think at present the Chinese media are quite actual, not like before. Thanks to the internet, now people coud get information in various ways, cover the truth will lead to a wrong way.
I admit the government controled the media bofore, but control do not mean people know nothing, people's brain can not be washed. We can not see in TV or newpaper what happened in 1989. But we know the killing, everyone know.
Now in Xinjiang, 156 civilian were killed with premeditation. Do you know, why the police did not shot the mob when they are killing the innocent people. If they do , less people were dead. But they dare not do. I don't what your police will do if it is happened in the U.S. But i know if our police shot, in next morning the westen new paper, TV will broadcast the Chinese government scotch the riser with violence. About China, you want to hear some negative ,dark news rather than postive news.
Whatever we change. You will never see it.

I remember the South China Morning Post... if I'm not mistaken the biggest newspaper in HK? I'm surprised they can actually report things like they used to before China took over. I guess they've got a lot of powerful friends.

Guess what? that link that you posted? I can't access it.

Try again, I can access it again now, they just transfered servers.

Back