Death Penalty

Should the death penalty exist

• Total voters
Redneck said:
1217 said:
Punishment never made a bad man good,

Good and dead. ;)

Seriously though, I have worked with ex-cons who are fully rehabilitated and great law-abiding citizens following their prison terms, so, unless you want to get into the whole "fundamental nature of man" argument, I believe that it is quite justifiable to say that punishment has made "bad" men good.

I think he was refering to DP though.

I have been thinkin about htis subject quite a bit. I guess I agree to a apoint, yse proof is the answer. My only problem with life in prison is that it is like goin to a country club anymore. A lot of criminals want to go back because it is to hard outside to get along. Then the taxpayers a payin for them to play basketball and have a comfortable life. Make prisons actually prisons, make it to where nobod actually wants to be there. I think there is nothin wrong witha little healthy fear. :twisted: Then I would not agree with the death penalty. I dont think that bein happy and/or comfortable are a punishment.

Sooners1 said:
I have been thinkin about htis subject quite a bit. I guess I agree to a apoint, yse proof is the answer. My only problem with life in prison is that it is like goin to a country club anymore. A lot of criminals want to go back because it is to hard outside to get along. Then the taxpayers a payin for them to play basketball and have a comfortable life. Make prisons actually prisons, make it to where nobod actually wants to be there. I think there is nothin wrong witha little healthy fear. :twisted: Then I would not agree with the death penalty. I dont think that bein happy and/or comfortable are a punishment.

I fully agree with this: make jails harder.

Redneck said:
AlexKall said:
I think he was refering to DP though.

I guess you must have missed the "good and dead" part.

No i saw that one

Was refering to this:

"Seriously though, I have worked with ex-cons who are fully rehabilitated and great law-abiding citizens following their prison terms, so, unless you want to get into the whole "fundamental nature of man" argument, I believe that it is quite justifiable to say that punishment has made "bad" men good." Im guessin those ex cons arnt dead, killed? I presume they did their punnishment and then was released.

AlexKall said:
Im guessin those ex cons arnt dead, killed? I presume they did their punnishment and then was released.

Roger, I don't understand what you're getting at, though.

i hate

i hate it when some guy get's life in prison with out the possablity of the death penlty and then they live off the tax payers,so i say fry them

Re: i hate

miller69 said:
i hate it when some guy get's life in prison with out the possablity of the death penlty and then they live off the tax payers,so i say fry them

actually, I believe that with the legal costs, it costs more to kill an inmate than to keep one in jail for life. There are human rights groups that appeal for inmates even though the inmate has stated he (or the rare she) just wants to die. Remember, legal proceedings never run cheap. I did some research and the actual cost of executing 1 inmate from beginging to end runs about $2-3 million. The cost of keeping an inmate in jail for life runs about $1 million.

Then you have the fact that DNA evidence is setting innocent people free. No one should EVER support a system that has executes innocent people.

Lasty, I will borrow this point from the Britons. "Why does a nation that proclaims to be dedicated to the principal of human rights, continue the barbaric practice of legally executing its own citizens?"

Before anyone starts to call me a peace loving hippie, hear this. When I was a bit younger and much more ignorant, I was in full support of the death penalty. Then I saw a couple interviews with people who had been freed from death row by DNA evidence. Those men were marked to die but had a second chance. How many more people have been wrongfully marked to die and never had a chance to prove it?

I believe that with the legal costs, it costs more to kill an inmate than to keep one in jail for life. There are human rights groups that appeal for inmates even though the inmate has stated he (or the rare she) just wants to die. Remember, legal proceedings never run cheap. I did some research and the actual cost of executing 1 inmate from beginging to end runs about $2-3 million. The cost of keeping an inmate in jail for life runs about $1 million.

Well out of that 3 million around 2.8/3 of that is spent on legal council and there suit they were to court, Scott Peterson murdered his Wife and unborn Child, Yet instead of executing him the gov't is using the money of the American public to pay for his 2 million dollar legal council and $5000 Armani suit.

yes it does cost alot of money to fry people, so why not go back to the firing squad, a bullet is much cheaper then electricity, or we could start hanging people again, a rope is really cheap and can be recycled for future uses, that way we please the hippies in a small way to, see everybodys happy.

Darkmb101 said:
Should criminals such as murderers be given the death penalty?

I personally believe so because there are some crooks living off of federal money with more luxuries than some of the citizens.
exactly what u said some of the criminals today are living much better than some people are who have done nothing wrong and all because they live off the goverment which also wastes our money on useless resources (criminals)

Just a few quotes to ponder for anyone:

"Till the infallibility of human judgement shall be proven to me, I shall demand the aboltion of the death penalty."
--Marquis de Marie Joseph Lafayette

And my favorite and the most concise way I have ever heard my own thoughts put is:

"We kill one person to deter some unknown person, somewhere, from killing... There is no way to counter death but with life. We can mourn those who are lost by saving those who are left, by treasuring life, by literally discrediting the currency of death. Other wise, the cycle is unbreakable-- the displaced people displacing others, the hated hating, the vitctims victimizing, and the friends of the killed killing, and death collecting its debt."
-- Gary Willis

Cindi

Aaron said:
exactly what u said some of the criminals today are living much better than some people are who have done nothing wrong and all because they live off the goverment which also wastes our money on useless resources (criminals)

With the current legal system in the US, it COSTS more to execute a prisoner than to keep one in jail for life. It's a lose lose situation but keeping a prisoner alive is the lesser of 2 evils.

The US could reduce the cost of keeping someone in jail for life by taking away TV's and some of the other luxuries of life that are found in today's prisons.

WoW that was a good Idea. Ok I think we should have the death penelty and also have life sentences. I will explain, if they catch you over th body of your lover with the gun,posion,knife and it wasnt self defense or it was premeditated. then they should fry you. if it was involuntery manslaighter then yes prison time would be the right answer.

With the current legal system in the US, it COSTS more to execute a prisoner than to keep one in jail for life. It's a lose lose situation but keeping a prisoner alive is the lesser of 2 evils.

first of all where did you get this info, second of all yes the chair costs alot of money so i say we just hang them, it is cheap and cost efficient, 3rd of all alot of criminals get lawyers that cost around 1 mil and it is all payed for with taxes that Americans spend, those taxes SHOULD GO TO EDUCATION AND TO BETTER FUND OUR MILITARY

but instead they go to keeping your prisoners alive because it is the "lesser of two evils"

tell that to those kids who don't get an education, tell them that they can't get an education because then Laci Peterson might get executed, i mean come on he can't be all bad right Doody, i mean he only murdered his wife and unborn child inside his wife, so why don't we just give him a
5-star hotel and call it a day.

I think we should ditch it.

First, I believe if you want to put a true stamp on the sanctity of life, it must extend to all Americans.

Next, I think the death penalty draws needed resources from the judidical system. Capital cases are expensive and bound to be appealed over and over.

What's the result? DAs plea bargain other briminals to lesser charges and lesser sentences so they have the resources and money to take on a capital trial. Considering a life sentence (in PA, life is life without parole) is as effective as killing the guy, in terms of the murderer re-injuring society, the net result is a guy removed from society forever and other criminals on the streets sooner.

This does more harm to society.

FInally, I do not feel the deterrant value of the death penlty is significantly greater than a sentence of life without parole. Is it a greater deterrant? Sure. Is it worth the cost and strain on the judicial system? Is it worth plea bargaining 10 felony assault charges to lesser midemeanors?

Not in my opinion.

Doody said:
The US could reduce the cost of keeping someone in jail for life by taking away TV's and some of the other luxuries of life that are found in today's prisons.

I disagree. First, in PA, the prisoners pay for cable from their own accounts. Second, TV acts as a "babysitter." Consider. Most prison systems do not arm the guards/officers. This is done to prevent the prisoners from pbtaining weapons. Next, consider the guard to inmate ration in most prisons. At times, you will have one officer for 50 or more prisoners.

Taking away cable leaves them with more time to think and plan and get frustrated.

Cable TV actually cuts down on inner prison (including against officers), as does good food and sporting events.

I know I don't like those dirtbags having stuff normal people don't. Truth is, it saves lives and greatly reduces the chances of riot in the over-crowded and understaffed prisons.

In case you haven't guessed, I have a fairly strong familiarity with the PA penal system (no, not an inmate, never was).

Did you here that Schwarzeneger(DAMN HIS HARD TO SPELL LAST NAME)

is attempting to ban cigarettes from prisons, you think you've seen riots, wait and see what happens if that bill is approved, you take Cigs from prisons and you will learn the meaning of the word Riot.

Let me fill you in on how I go about fact finding. I try my best to stay away from biased sites such as anti death penalty web sites. Their story is one sided. I stick to stories from the main press and individual state reports. Here are a few of the sites that went to before posting my opinion.

http://www.comptroller.state.tn.us/orea/reports/deathpenalty.pdf
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/12/n...?ex=1094356800&en=f8af4573c14d5c28&ei=5070&hp
http://justice.uaa.alaska.edu/death/debate.html
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...ors_death_penalty_plandeath_penalty_plan?pg=2

there are more but I had to sift thru a bunch of biased sites. I did find it funny that most sites that supported the death penalty did not state the costs of it. There are a bunch of states that have extensive reports that show that capital punnishment cases cost more from the beginning and last longer...thus costing more money.

Bourne, it is not the cost of the chair, it is the cost of the process of putting someone to death. The LEGAL system...I thought I made that clear!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Airborne Eagle

you definately have a valid point on the TV thing. I was under the impression that we the tax payer paid for the tele. Let them have TV, it will only rott their brains

we be wasting to much electricity on the chair and too much poison gas on the gas chamber ME NEED TO HANG THEM ALL, NOT GIVE THEM FOOD ON TAX PAYING DOLLARS, THAT IS FOR OUR CHILDREN'S EDUCATION.

do you know why executions cost more, it said it in most of the websites, BECAUSE OF THE APPEALS PROCESS, just like i said, that execution money isn't going to the execution, it is going to their legal help, SO STOP PAYING FOR CRIMINALS TO HAVE JOHNNY COCHRAN AS THEIR LAWYER.

I only know the situation in PA.

TN may be different, but generally they make them pay for it, since it's not a "right." By not making it a right, the prison can suspend it for misconduct without violating jurisprudence (I think).

Back