death announcements

rotc boy

wasnt quite sure where to post this, if this is wrong please move it mods:

http://www.marinetimes.com/print.php?f=0-MARINEPAPER-667246.php

Casualty assistance officers will no longer wear the dress blue uniform when notifying families of a Marine’s death under a recent change to Corps policy.

Marines making death notifications instead will now wear the service ‘A’ uniform, a move intended to curb what officials said was a growing negative view of Marines wearing the dress uniform while performing such grim duty.
The change, included in a Feb. 9 Corpswide message outlining adjustments to the service’s casualty procedures, has already divided many Marines and spouses. Some are saying the change is not significant, while others believe the Corps is choosing image over the sanctity of dress blues, the most iconic of Marine uniforms.
“A negative connotation has been attached to Marines in the dress blue uniform because of death notifications,” according to the message, MarAdmin 057/05.
“This is contrary to the pride and tradition of the dress blue uniform.” Dress blues will continue to be worn for ceremonial events during the casualty assistance process, including burial, the message states.

Right now, military families are not too happy to see anyone in a dress uniform show up at the front door.

I do not see why the change was made

This is some nitwit's idea to be sure. It doesn't matter what uniform they are wearing ffs. Wearing the dress blue uniform is a sign of respect and acknowledging the importance of the event. Were I to be told of a loved one's death I would fully expect that service member be in his best, looking his best out of respect. It's going to be a big pile of :cen: no matter what, going "casual" is not going to lessen the blow.

Political Correctness rears it ugly head AGAIN!

Form/function/low profile what a bunch of BS. It's the military bowing to the civilian idiots that seem to find their way into positions of power and who have never served their country as Soldier/Sailor/Airman/Marine.

These are the same blowhards that have no idea of the traditions of the military world most of us have given our lives and our loyalties to, or who chose to ignore these traditions for the most idiotic of reasons.

Whatever the reasons, we can only hope that our military leaders relent and show the respect our fallen comrades deserve by telling civilian authorities to "pack sand" and lift the ban and allow wearing of the Dress Blue of a Marine as a sign of respect and reverence.

SEMPER FI (From a sailor who knows).

I, too, have to agree with the thoughts of both bulldogg and Chief Bones on this. It is really sad that some airhead thought more about possibly offending other citizens than honoring the dead. Almost like they thought the dead don't vote.

It SUXXS.:2guns:

I have to agree wtih everyone here. Some moron came along and had to buck the system. It's been said, but I'll say it again for emphasis. The Blues are a sign of respect for the fallen and their loved one being notified. It is a grim duty, but important, and the person performing this task should be showing the MOST repsect possible. THIS ****S.
Hopeful

hopefulfuturemarine said:
Some moron came along and had to buck the system.

That would be General Hagee CMC.Where he got the advice to or what shop at HQMC conducted the survey who knows. Nothing that comes out of the puzzle palace surprises me.

I really don't agree with it but then no one ask me opinion.So .........

Back