Death by accidental discharge

Locke

I dont know how many people are aware of it but and AUstralian soldier was killed in Iraq last week.
the first we heard was that he was cleaning his pistol when it automatically discharged.
then we were told that he wasn't even cleaning the weapon, he was doing something else and he knocked it and it discharged.
there were two other soldiers in the room, but they aparently didn't see what happened.
I believe (correct me if wrong) but the pistol was a Baretta.

The whole incident seems highly suspect to me. Why did the government change stories? why not stick with the one?
how easy is it to accidentally discharge a pistol? they shouldn't discharge when knocked surely?
what are the procedures they have in place in the green zone for handling weapons? from what iv heard his pistol should not have been loaded and cocked.

i hate dont like playing conspiracy theorist but it seems that something is being covered up, even if it was that he and the two others were playing with thier guns and one accidentally fired.

All of that being said, RIP Jacob Kovco, thank you for serving your country in this fight for Iraqi independance.
My heart goes out to his wife and children. to have all that happen and to then have the wrong body shipped home is unbelievable.

Rumours abound in a barracks mate. Too much free time with nothing to do sets idle tongues to work and people who never saw jack will swear on their unborn children what they're spouting is the God's own truth and they seen it. Best to wait till the :cen: settles to the bottom of the tank and then take a look at what is in the water.

A full investigation in both his death and the ****-up with his body will be held.
The pistol was a 9mm browning I think...........

Who knows.
But one thing I want to know is why was there a loaded weapon inside the barracks?????
All weapons are cleared once you enter the compound.
We do not allow loaded weapons inside our buildings and especially not inside the acomodation and messing areas!
Is 3RAR suffering issues due to the controversial change in the role of the battalion.
Taking away their parachutes and making them mechanised??????

Roger that PJ.

And Warwick, like I said its best to wait till all the BS has been sifted through and the truth has been ordained. It is waaaaaaaaaaaay too early to believe ANYTHING you hear.

There is funny little trick you can do with a loaded 9mm Browning pistol, but make a mistake and you are dead. we had rule in our unit that if any pointed a weapon at any one else, loaded or not they got a good hiding.

But one thing I want to know is why was there a loaded weapon inside the barracks?????
All weapons are cleared once you enter the compound.
We do not allow loaded weapons inside our buildings and especially not inside the acomodation and messing areas!
Is 3RAR suffering issues due to the controversial change in the role of the battalion.
Taking away their parachutes and making them mechanised??????

It was after a patrol, just because somebody has to clear a weapon doesn't mean they have. The other thing is being dog tired and not thinking properly it is very easy to forget or become complacent.

I doubt very much that it would have anything to do with the battalion re-roling.

[/quote]Is 3RAR suffering issues due to the controversial change in the role of the battalion.
Taking away their parachutes and making them mechanised??????[/quote]

Pull your head in mate. what kind of comment is that to make?? If it's a joke it's not f#$%en funny. Bit of respect wouldn't go astray.

The thing is just what was he doing with a loaded weapon in the Barracks, loaded magazines would be removed from weapons as soon as we got into Barracks and weapons would cocked a couple of times to make sure that the breach was clear before you peered up the breech to make sure. If any one pointed a weapon at any one else in our unit, loaded or not, then they would get a goood slapping.

By the way it was a Browning L9A1.
As for the weapon being loaded, it's not exactly a barracks environment. It's simply a building in Baghdad that acts as a firm base for SECDET. The weapons are usually kept at load in this particular scenario (correct me if I'm wrong).

Dear Members,

The US military always had a serious problem with accidental shootings with the .45 caliber 1911. When it was decided to replace it that was one of the major requirements about the safety feature of any replacement.

Also, the Canadian Army in the early days of WW1 were issued a Ross .303 rifle which while a great sniper weapon was extremely dangerous in that the bolt could be inserted after break down and cleaning wrongly and when fired the bolt would explode back into the soldiers face. None of the Canadians were sorry to see the Ross withdrawn and replaced -- ie all though the British Army welcomed them as a sniper weapon.

Jack E. Hammond

Back