Dear Sir, I could have killed you but I did not

Duty Honor Country

A letter from A soldier of the 15th Alabama Regiment to General Joshua Chamberlain sent years after the Civil War

Dear Sir:

I want to tell you of a little passage in the Battle of Little Round Top, Gettysburg, concerning you and me, which I am glad of. Twice in that fight I had your life in my hands. I got a safe place betweeen 2 rocks, and drew a bead fair and square on you. You were standing in the open behind the center of your line, full exposed. I knew your rank by your uniform and your actions, and I thought it a mighty good thing to put you out of the way. I started to pull the trigger, but some queer notion stopped me. Then I got ashamed of my weakness and and went through the same motions again. I had you, perfectly certain. But that same queer something shut down on me. I couldn't pull the trigger, and, gave it up - that is, your life. I am glad of it now, and hope you are too. Yours Truly

imagine actually getting a letter like that. i would probably never go outside again, and keep all the doors and windows covered for the rest of my life. thats just toooooo creepy

the book "Bayonet! Forward": My Civil War Reminiscences by Major General Joshua Chamberlain. When I get the time, I will post his reaction to the letter. I just got th book and saw that letter when Chamberlain wrote about the Battle of Little Round Top.

I know that book, I never actually read it...

Who here has been to the little Round Top? I went about 10 years ago I was amazed of how steep it was. I had a hard time climbing it, and that was without people shooting at me.

i wouldnt be scared.. the war is over.. the reason to kill eachbrother is over... id find that guy and thank him! lol

mmarsh said:
I know that book, I never actually read it...

Who here has been to the little Round Top? I went about 10 years ago I was amazed of how steep it was. I had a hard time climbing it, and that was without people shooting at me.

I went to Gettysburg a couple years ago and made it a point to go up to Little Round Top.

"As for myself, so far I had escaped. How close an escape I did not know till afterwards. I think I may mention it here, as a psychological incident, that some years after the war, I received a letter written in a homely but manly style by one subscribing himself 'a member if the 15th Alabama,' in these words:

Letter

I thought he was that and answered him accordingly,asking him to come up North and see whhether I was worth what he had missed. But my answer never found him, nor could I afterwards."

Better late than never :type:

I have Chamberlain's memoirs on the War, I will have the highlights of those up in a week or so

Doody

Back