Dear Santa, I want a 12 gauge ______

major liability

It's almost Christmas time once again!

This year I have some money saved up and I expect to get a little more for Christmas. I've been wanting a nice shotgun for home defense (but mostly fun at the range) for some time now. You might recall I asked about this before a while ago. Well, now I actually have the money to make the purchase! The only problem is, it's hard to find reliable reviews online. You never know if someone is making stuff up, or has only tried the gun they are endorsing.

You folks seem to know all about it, so please help me decide. I've narrowed it down to 4 choices.

Remington 870: I've fired one and heard great things about it. As of right now, this looks like the one I'm going to get simply because it's cheap and I'm familiar with the controls. There's a nice OD green "Tactical" 870 with a shell holder, pistol grip, and collapsible stock down at the gun shop.

Saiga-12: I want this more than any other shotgun, but I don't know anyone who has one and I've never fired it. The fact that it's a magazine-fed semi-auto is awesome. I want one before they ban it. But is it as reliable as the Kalashnikov it is based on? My sources conflict on whether or not the Saiga-12 features the side-mount for optics. Does it? The fact that it is going to take more time and money to get the US compliance parts and install a pistol grip is a negative; the standard wooden stock is too hideous (and uncomfortable looking) to leave on.

Benelli Nova: I liked how it felt (and how light it was) when I picked one up in the gun shop, but I've heard that the foregrip rattles when you move around (big no-no in case of home invasion) and that the action not as smooth as the 870 or Mossberg.

Mossberg 500: I don't know too much about this shotgun, but have heard it mentioned hundreds of times so I figured I might as well consider it.

Any buying advice from people who have actually fired these weapons would be greatly appreciated.

I own three of the four models listed.

I have numerous Remington 870s. Dove Hunting, Duck Hunting, tactical, skeet, etc....

I have three Novas. A 12, a 20, and a tactical 12

I have two mossbergs 500s. A 12 and a 20 hunting.

Out of the three the Nova is the best shotgun.... smoothest action in the world for a slide action. It comes with a 3 1/2 chamber and some PDs use it has their work shotgun. Only con is that you can't replace the stock. It's one piece. Also I have clue about the "rattle". My three have never done that.

The 870 is the honda of shotguns. There are more 870 accessories then any other out there. It's a great shotgun but a little on the heavy side. It's used both by militray and police

The Mossberg 500 is the toyota of shotguns. It's the main rival of the 870. Same deal... tons of accessories. It's a little lighter and the design is a little different. It's used by both military and police.

The AK shotgun is a piece of crap. Not worth owning.... Parts are hard to find, mags are pricey, and it serves no real use or purpose. The design isn't really meant to work with shotguns.... That's why no one here in the USA has made it. It's nothing but a sales gimmick. No PD or military issues and uses it for combat or police work.

I think what you should get is this....Mossberg 930 SXP
85360.jpg

It's a good little semi-auto. 7+1 capacity. nice weight and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Average price is $500 on the market right now.

Other then that I think the Nova is the way you should go.

Wow, always a speedy reply from the resident firearms expert. That's one of the reasons I <3 the milforums.

Anyways, is the Saiga-12 REALLY a piece of crap? I know the parts and mags are expensive, but that's not too much of an issue for me. What I really want to know is: it is reliable enough to bet my life on?

I would say no... reloading is tricky and it's a design that was built for a rifle and a rifle cartridge not for a shotgun...

Well, I know some people on the Saiga-12 forums who install bolt hold open devices that are said to make reloading easier because you don't have to rock it in.

That semi-auto Mossberg looks pretty sweet too, though, and I'm sure a speed loader could make it just as quick to reload as a Saiga-12.

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the advice once again, 5.56.

I got to thinking I might as well get better with the guns I already have before buying a new one with more expensive ammunition. So instead I got 2,000 rounds of 7.62x39mm and a few 20 round boxes of 7.62x54R.

Mossberg can be a Beyotch to field strip until you get the hang of it. As far as shooting I prefer my 590 to the 870. I've never short stroked a 590.

Browning BPS's are nice, I got one this year and I've taken it through some pretty rough stuff. It strips easily and holds up well.

The short barrel makes it easy to run through the woods with.

For running with a shotgun, I employ an ages-old technique known as "being able to shoot and look where you're going, because your weapon and line of vision should be in the same plane when said weapon is shouldered". Or, alternatively, watching where you're going and watching the barrel of your rifle at the same time.

It's a skill a lot of high school students don't have, because I always run over morons who can't walk and talk at the same time.

For running with a shotgun, I employ an ages-old technique known as "being able to shoot and look where you're going, because your weapon and line of vision should be in the same plane when said weapon is shouldered". Or, alternatively, watching where you're going and watching the barrel of your rifle at the same time.

It's a skill a lot of high school students don't have, because I always run over morons who can't walk and talk at the same time.

By running I meant move through while having the sights up.

Right- As I understand it, when shouldered, your weapon and line of vision are in the same plane, and you're ideally conscious of your weapon's line of fire, preferably without becoming disoriented or tunelling- or at least, that's how I hunt nutria when I find running them down preferable to stalking them.

Last edited:
Wow, always a speedy reply from the resident firearms expert. That's one of the reasons I <3 the milforums.

Anyways, is the Saiga-12 REALLY a piece of crap? I know the parts and mags are expensive, but that's not too much of an issue for me. What I really want to know is: it is reliable enough to bet my life on?
he does know his stuff doesnt he :bravo:

Back