Dear husband 35 and thinking of Army active duty.

MommaGof4

Hello to all! My name is Nikki and my husband has been wanting to service since High School. Life taking us down many other paths, however the past 5-7 years he has been brining it up and almost enlisted 5 yrs ago with National Guard. I was expecting our 3 rd child and begged him not to go. Now this past Valentine's Evening (on our first date in Months) he brought it up and his desire to serve and feels called to join. I told him OK I will stand by you and support your choice and decisions. Now we have been working with a ARMY recruiter and the "balls" are rolling. Waiting for waivers and such, however he is starting to wonder if he should have checked into other branches. Any positives thoughts or ideas would be wonderful!
Thanks in Advance! ~Nikki aka standin by my man:angel:

Welcome aboard.
I know how your husband and you feel. I was 31 when I returned to service after a hiatus of 10 years. My personal choice was to enter the Navy (the Army having pissed me off to the max just prior to getting out the first time). Once you are past the age of 30, it is very difficult (not impossible) to get into the military. Waivers ... hurry up ... wait ... these will become part of the lexicon facing you.

All you can do ... is ...

Keep plugging away - wish you luck.

Thank You Chief Bones! Wow yes the hurry up...wait game! I have never experienced anything like this in my life. My husband having a family line of Service to our great country "knows" more than I. I just want to make sure we know everything before he signs the _ _ _ lines! I know all the risks involved at this time also and neither side of our families will be supportive and I am already hearing my husband is risking leaving his children fatherless. We have children 16 yrs to 2 yrs. We have the peace of God that when it is his time it will be in HIS time not ours. That stands if he is in the military or not. Thanks you for responding. I just need to hear from others positive thoughts!

If it doesn't put the family in more of a bind, I would advise him to try one branch or the other. If he doesn't, he'll always wonder if he made a mistake by not joining, and who knows, maybe that's where he belongs in life.

Hello there ma'am :)

welcome to the forums, and I am sure you will find this place most interesting and worthwhile :)

well, have a nice stay! and see you around

I joined the Marine Corps at the tender age of 28. I was used and abused by my Drill Instructors because I was "different". I took it in stride and all things considered boot camp was easy. I did not take most things personal like others did because I knew it was just a mind game.

By all means if that is what you and your husband think is best then do so. Keep in mind that when it comes to promotions and such he will be competing against his rank peers that are going to be 10 - 15 years younger than him.

His maturity and life experience will stand him in good stead and it will also help him stand out from the crowd of his rank peers. I know when I hit my work section that I was almost immediately singled out and given more responsibilies than other Marines of my same rank because of my age and maturity. Then when the powers that be realized that I was dependable and was up to most any task I was given responsibilities well above my pay grade.

I am divorced and remarried so the only person I had to worry about dragging with me all over was my wife. But the seperation times from her and my children (who live 1100 miles away) do get to me at times.\

I personally would say go for it. I am not sure what the civilian job sector is like where you live. The benefits can not be beat, the pay is getting better, job security is A++, and after 20 years he has a retirement and benefits.

Of course he has to put up with "youngsters" in charge of him telling him what, when and how to do things. But that comes with just about any job.

Best of luck and I hope I helped some.

'lo ma'am :salute2:

them balls do roll lol. I'm kind of at the same stage as him, so I cant really offer advice lol, but he should stick at it, all the people I know tell of how good a military life is.

hey marinerhodes, why were you different if you dnt mind me asking?

I was different in that the other recruits were 18 - 22 years old. I was older than all my Drill Instructors and only a year younger than my Senior Drill Instructor.

They asked who was over 27 for our IST (initial strength test) at the beginning of boot camp. I was 1 of 2 in the entire company of 360+ recruits that raised my hand. So you can see how I stodd out from the rest in that way. Then there is the way I spoke and presented myself to the Drill Instructors. Most of the other recruits were intimidated by them and you could see it in their body language and hear it in their voices. I was not intimidated in the least. If you know my Dad and Stepdad then you would know what I mean.

MommaGof4 said:
Waiting for waivers and such, however he is starting to wonder if he should have checked into other branches. Any positives thoughts or ideas would be wonderful!
Thanks in Advance!

Good stuff, congrats and kudos to you for being so supportive. Support from home can make or break a guy.

As for checking out other branches, always explore your options!

What job is he looking at?

I've seen guys come in at 35 and do very well, we have had one or two come through our pipeline over the years that were 34/35.

Chief Bones said:
Once you are past the age of 30, it is very difficult (not impossible) to get into the military.

I wouldn't say past 30, for years the cut off for Army and Navy was 34. Now the Army has raised theirs to 39 (with conditions), for both active and reserves/National Guard.. It can be testy getting into the Air Force and Marine Corps after 30, though.

Thanks again!

For all encouraging posts! He has had his days here lately when he worries he wont be able to do the physical. I just keep trying to tell him he CAN do it!

Any info on different bases and wonderful places you have been/lived?

Second road block he is not really sure of the job he wants?! We are hoping to get some info soon about his scores and what jobs he qualifies for. The way I look at it....no matter what he does, there is not one person or job more important than the other. It is a family/team effort and support you all need each other to make our US Military the best.
Okay I am feeling deep today :lol: ~ Nikki

hey Nikki,

sounds like i am in a similar situation to your husband. I am 32 & decided last year i wanted to join which as a kid was all i wanted to do, however, life took me through different paths.

After occasionally bringing up the forces in conversations over the years with my wife (often asked to change the subject), i finally decided that the ADF (Australian Defence Forces, Army) was where i wanted to be. However, initially, there was a lot of misunderstanding & not knowing the future nor what to expect from my wife once (if) i get in. To a degree, that is stilll there.

The point i am trying to make is that, as a husband & father, support from family is priceless, regardless of what may lie in the future. My wife understands that this is all i really want to do with my career, so therefore she has tried to understand and find out what to expect etc. She also understands that as a male, we "generally" work at least 2/3rds of our lives, and acknowledges that i do not want to waste any more of my life in roles/jobs which i do not enjoy, & that the ADF is where my heart & future lies (what a waste if i was to work 2/3rds of my life in jobs i do not like)

I think it is great that you are a member of these forums as it shows that you are striving to understand and prepare for the future & am supporting your husband in a career which he has decided to do, good luck with everything & hope you find happiness as a wife of a soldier

Thanks again!

I really just want to thank everyone here that is welcoming and responds to my posts! It is a blessing and I havent been here for a while but I try to pop in as often as I can. We are still waiting for waivers and such....I am just trying to be patient (which is not my personality LOL) and supportive even though I am totally frustrated right now! ~~ Nikki:type:

Back