Dealing with cavalry

--

March 25th, 2012  
Jonny Reb

Topic: Dealing with cavalry

The origin of Western Aristocracy ( some would say the establishment and defence of Christianity ) is the heavily armoured Frankish Knights. Infantry had trouble dealing with these one thinks of the failure of the Saxon shield wall at Hastings. The Frankish cavalry derives from that of the Goths which had defeated the Roman infantry at Adrianopol ( the Roman Army was also a failure against Persian cavalry. )
However the Greek Hoplite with his spear ( like the pike carrying Landsknecht ) was very successful againt Cavalry, yet was defeated by the short sword of the more mobile Roman infantry.
Is history the result of the failure of military commands to adapt their technology and tatics to those of their opponents
March 25th, 2012  
LeEnfield

The Battle of Hastings went on for around 12 hours and the wall did collapse. The House Kurls would take down a charging horse with there two handed axe. It was not until a part of the lane broke to chase some Normans that the line opened up followed by Harold getting a arrow in the eye which caused him to take his eye off the battle that changed history.
March 26th, 2012  
VDKMS

Frankish infantry beat both Attila's and Muslim cavalry. They formed a square and used their deadly throwing axes, aiming at the horses. They so heavily devastated the Muslim cavalry that the whole Muslim army retreated to Spain in a hurry and even left behind their loot.

The secret to the strenght of the Persian cavalry were stirrups.
--
March 26th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

King Harolds last words were, "Those bloody Norman archers will have someone's eye out in a minute."

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
March 27th, 2012  
03USMC

"Form Square!"

March 28th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Absolutely Gunny.

I am convinced that if the British Army at Isandlwana had formed a square with an F group in the middle, they would have beaten off the Zulu.
March 29th, 2012  
VDKMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Absolutely Gunny.

I am convinced that if the British Army at Isandlwana had formed a square with an F group in the middle, they would have beaten off the Zulu.
I think you're right. The Zulu's didn't advance like the French or the British did, in lines. They charched like a cavalry.

If I'm not mistaken, the British used buglers to give the order to change from lines to squares.
March 29th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
I think you're right. The Zulu's didn't advance like the French or the British did, in lines. They charched like a cavalry.

If I'm not mistaken, the British used buglers to give the order to change from lines to squares.
The ZULU charge what they call the "The horns of the Buffalo" The loins attack head on while the horns out flank their enemy left and right. Job done, game over. If the Square had been used the horns could never have out flanked and neither could the Zulu bring their full force to bear, they would be tripping over each others feet.
March 30th, 2012  
Trooper1854

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Absolutely Gunny.

The square was the ultimate defensive measure for defending against cavalry, it worked at Waterloo, and Brit, you only have to look at the Battle of Ulundi.
The British forces formed a square and the Zulu attack was unable to get close. So, yes, had they done the same at Isandlwana, it may have had a different outcome.
March 31st, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
The square was the ultimate defensive measure for defending against cavalry, it worked at Waterloo, and Brit, you only have to look at the Battle of Ulundi.
The British forces formed a square and the Zulu attack was unable to get close. So, yes, had they done the same at Isandlwana, it may have had a different outcome.
Absolutely right.

What is generally unknown or rarely mentioned in books, before a battle the ZULU would smoke weed, pot or whatever you want to call it, so that when they went into battle they were as high as kites.