Deafness in the Military

mamaz

Was wondering if any one can tell me in what capacity a profoundly hearing impaired person can serve in the military. My son is deaf but he wants to be involved in combat action (sniper more specifically) and I know that deafness is a disqualification. There must be something for him - he is willing to serve. Thanks!

I have great admiration for your son's intent and willingness, but his deafness would be a great disadvantage to any chances of joining the military, even with today's modern hearing technology, which is a great pity.

I wish you both all the very best of luck, all you can do is to try.

Hello, Sevens is correct that I'm deaf.

Probably everyone know that I really wants to join the United States Marine Corps as an infantry, but I can't 'cause I'm deaf. I'm a CIs (Cochlear Implants) user, and CIs won't let fool the recruiters, unfortunately. :|

Tell your son, that he isn't only deaf person that wants to join the military.

By the way, welcome to the forums.

Mamaz... well I'm not even going to get started on the whole sniper thing.
But if your son cannot be accepted by the military, maybe there might be some good ol' folks with an Unorganized Militia near you that will accept your son for some duties and I'm sure there'll be some good patient folks there that will teach your son how to shoot. The regular military is not the only place to be a gun toting patriot.

Back