Deadliest Warrior

brinktk

Does anyone watch the show Deadliest Warrior on spike TV.

Last night they pitted the Spartan Vs. the Samarai with the Spartan coming out on top barely.

Later in the episode they pitted the Soviet Spetznaz against the IRA with a decisive victory for the Soviets.

The first episode of the second season featured US SWAT against the German GSG-9. Swat barely came out on top, which I think was quite an upset, I figured GSG-9 would clean the clock of the SWAT.:sniper:

I've seen a couple of episodes.
They put Army SF against Soviet Spetznaz.
I think the Soviets won. I'm not sure though

I think they should do less analysis on the weapons per say and more on the tactics used and the things that made these forces throughout history unique. What gave these guys the edge during their time at the top, and how would that translate to their competitor?

It is cool to see the tests of the medieval/ancient weapons though.

I think "Deadliest Warrior" perpetuates low-quality discussions on military and security forums and elsewhere, but dang it, whenever it's on I have to watch it. Who doesn't like to see ballistics-gel heads being shredded by shotgun fire? I can't be the only one!

I only watched a bit of the Spetsnaz vs Green Berets one

I doubt that it is a very accurate show, but I love how they tested the different grenades and shotguns. From watching that episode I realised how bloody dangerous a Semi-Automatic shotgun [In this case a Saiga 12] could be in CQB

Who doesn't like to see ballistics-gel heads being shredded by shotgun fire? I can't be the only one!

That's exactly what I'm talking about...It's just plain cool to see heads explode from various weapons systems.

It's just a show, and there's no need for people to get all indignant about the matter. At the very least, you get to see cool gun, sword, club, whatever tests and then say DAMN! Wouldn't want to be hit by one of those.

That's exactly what I'm talking about...It's just plain cool to see heads explode from various weapons systems.

It's just a show, and there's no need for people to get all indignant about the matter. At the very least, you get to see cool gun, sword, club, whatever tests and then say DAMN! Wouldn't want to be hit by one of those.

I think many people got pretty angry when they said the Spetsnaz were better than the Green Berets, and thats why people get a bit worked up about it

I think many people got pretty angry when they said the Spetsnaz were better than the Green Berets, and thats why people get a bit worked up about it

Yeah, I suppose that's true. I didn't agree with that one either, but hey, it's just a show, and I'll give it to the Spetsnaz that were on that show, they seemed like real pros. Wasn't sure about the whole role around on the ground and shoot stuff, but if it works, who am I to judge.

Plus, the SF guys lost that for themselves. They got cocky on the pistol range and their accuracy went right out the window. Hubris anyone? And an e-tool...REALLY, granted, I WOULD NOT want to be hit by one, but it's not a weapon, it's not designed as a weapon, and it should not have been used as a weapon.

Show or no show, they're both pretty damn good in my book, and if I've learned anything since I've been in the Army it's been that on any given day there's no guarantees. Anyone from anywhere can rise to an occasion and make for a very interesting surprise.

I know, it might be a bit faulty but its a good show none the less.

I never knew about the Ballistic Knife that the Spetsnaz use until I watched that show. I mean damn...Even when your a bit far out it could put you onto the groud...

I would imagine it would be a pretty useful hunting weapon!

Yeah, that knife was pretty cool, but you better not miss! I couldn't believe how far out that knife shot though, the spring inside the handle must have some serious power behind it.

I guess, but the Spetsnaz are probably real well trained for it. Dont the Spetsnaz also have a shovel of their own which they can use for combat? I cant remember what it was called, but I am sure it started with an S [No, not shovel! Its some other Russian word]

Pure entertainment and my kids and I love it. It introduces them to warriors and weapons from different eras and sparks their imagination. The weapon demonstrations are awesome and showcase some real characters, not too sure about the computer weighting system, but at the end of the day it is good fun and beats the crap out of celebrity cooking, dancing, singing, sitting on my arse etc programmes which seem to dominate the airwaves.

guilty pleasure

laughing -
1 of the few things my dad & I watch together and are completely entertained.
How do they mate up the "opposing teams"?
Weaponry? and or both enemies of the U.S.A.?
The Nazi SS vs the Viet Cong was interesting. I had forgotten about those nasty punji sticks. When the Nazi SS guy saw the Viet Cong's mudball w/spikes, he said something like he would be court-martialed for using such techniques. And the German flammenwerfer:

George Carlin -
“The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.”

http://www.spike.com/full-episode/nazi-ss-vs-viet-cong/38376

I thoroughly enjoyed the match up between Attila the Hun vs. Alexander the Great. Though the History Channel does the Huns & the Mongols better service, historically, of course with their Barbarian series.
And the Jesse James gang beat out the Al Capone crew. It did show how tactics speedy & accuracy gun clearin' leather beat out the tommy gun.
The hosts are geek-tasctic & it's fun for all.

This is only a person view of what might happen, a lot of this depends on many other factors, and in combat hardly any thing goes to plan

Deadest Warrior (yes I did it on purpose) is a freakin bad joke. But I guess cool for the gamers out there.

I saw an episode once whilst housesitting for my folks. As much as it's good fun seeing people do **** to ballistics gel, I wasn't impressed.

"Warriors with Terry Schappert" seems to be better viewing.....

It's entertaining most of the time. The outcomes aren't very difficult to predict for the most part but sometimes the computer program has some controversial weighting. I think I've predicted most of the matchups except for the Roman Centurian vs. Rajput warrior recently. I wasn't familiar with all the weapons of the Rajput. I would have liked to have seen a Roman unit vs. a Rajput unit (if they had such things). I'd suspect there would have been a different winner.

It's a good show for entertainment, but I don't take much of it too seriously.
Some of their scoring systems seemed flawed to me. They fail to take certain details into consideration, and they tend to force dramatic situations.

One problem I had was with the Ninja versus Spartan episode. They scored it like the Ninja would be fighting head-on, face-to-face... of course, ending in the Spartan winning. There seemed to be a point where they forgot (or ignored) the part where Ninjas relied almost entirely on stealth. Even if the two were to meet face-to-face the Ninja would probably opt to escape most of the time. Like the guy said at the end "He'd come back and kill him in his sleep." Though, that was overlooked for the sake of scoring.

In the end, I mostly like to watch the testing and final scenarios; it's entertaining to watch them destroy dummies with various toys, and the movies in the end can relate straight to the imagination.

Back