DEA/FBI story

egoz

Funny story about some antinarcotic operations done a few years back. The distrust between the agencies are legendary, and I'm not just talking about the CIA and FBI.

Anyway, the FBI was putting together a case against a known drug lord in the US. They had been working on the case for 6 months and have spent a few hundred thousand dollars (of tax payer money) putting together their case to bust this guy. The FBI had planted a few agents of their own in the operation to act as runners and sell drugs for the drug lord. Finally, when the day came for the bust they raided the area only to find themselves faced with DEA agents also pointing guns back at them. In the end they found out that the "drug lord" that they had been following for half a year was a DEA agent that was put in place to catch drug runners in the US. What had happened was the FBI and DEA had been following each other the entire time.

BTW, this is a true story, as to how I came across it... :D
But I was told that it wasn't exactly reported to the superiors.

Actually it's not so funny. It's another FBI sticking their fingers in another agencies jurisdiction story. The same thing happens Between FBI/ATF, FBI/Customs, Customs/DEA etc.

Narcotics enforcement is the venue of DEA and to an extent Customs now CBP. The FBI tries to get involved under RICO Statutes with out seeing if another agencey is actively working the case and ends up flushing a good UC op down the toilet. Sad if you ask me.

Back