The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown

CanadianCowgirl

I heard so much about the DaVinci Code by Dan Brown that I had to read it. There was a lot of controversy about it, though it's a fiction, people started believing parts of it were true, about Leonardo DaVinci leaving clues in his paintings to the Holy Grail.....

I myself thought it was a good book, as long as you keep in mind that it IS fiction....

Yeah. Couple friends read it and it seemed to satisfy their anticlerical stands. Fascinating theories though. And it's not too much of a fiction: historians do believe that Jesus was married to the Magdlene.

Is it really historians who say that? Isn't that one of the parts in the book that people believe is a fact that really isn't? I don't know for sure, i've seen a documentary or two about it.....I think it said that some said that there were documents stating that Jesus kissed Mary Magdalene on the lips, but I can't remember if that was from the book or a documentary....

It was also because they found that the title of Rabbi (lord, master) was used at the time only for men who were married and had children. Never would a single have been called so.

its a good read
i think people get a bit carried away. its interesting to see that the book is creating its own momentum, people are buying it and reading it and reccommending it and its popularity is increaseing exponentially, i haven't talked to anyone yet who hasn't liked it

dan brown took one or two facts and skewed. there is another book that was published that disprove the book .i believe it is called Decoding the Da Vinci Code.

Well, the fact is that the Opus Dei is almost a sect. So at least this and the Magdalene part are true.

I enjoyed the book.

behemoth79 said:
dan brown took one or two facts and skewed. there is another book that was published that disprove the book .i believe it is called Decoding the Da Vinci Code.

I dont think there was any reason have people disprove his book as I dont think he ever claimed it was factual.

Essentially all he did was take historical places and stories and build a fictional over plot to link them.

Personally I found the books interesting to read but both had lousey endings (almost as though he ran out of ideas and just stuck a generic ending on to finish the book).

Yeah he never did say "THIS IS THE TRUTH". He took an interesting idea and presented it. A lot of people wanted to believe it was true. But otherwise a very enjoyable read.

More accurately you would say, "Some historians".

Also you have to consider that the bible, especially the new testament, was largely compiled by Greek Christians around 300 AD. What this means is that they somewhat altered original documents and changed the language. So Rabbi may not have been the word that Jesus' followers used. And it may not have even been the word the Greeks put down. When you consider the number of language changes that the bible has gone through, from Aramaic to Greek to Latin to recompilation to the vernacular. It's lunacy to take one word as meaning Jesus was married.

Opus Dei, like many things in the Da Vinci code is a real world organization that has nothing; or very little, to do with the Opus Dei of the book. The Universities and Museums in Indiana Jones are real, that doesn't mean they hired a nazi fighting archeologist to find hidden treasures of the ancient.

The thing I find hard to believe is how this book got this amount of publicity, the guy is not claiming it as fact and its not what I would describe as a potential classic but its now been blown so far out of perspective by certain groups that it is going to be a best seller for years to come.

MontyB said:
behemoth79 said:

I dont think there was any reason have people disprove his book as I dont think he ever claimed it was factual.

But too many people actually thought the book was real and took what they read in this book as fact.

But thats hardly Dan Browns fault and its certainly doesn't justify the amount of interest shown in disproving it.

It is an interesting work of fiction that combines fact, myth and artistic licence to make a good (but not great) read.

It is an interesting work of fiction that combines fact, myth and artistic licence to make a good (but not great) read.

interesting, you'd be one of the few that wouldnt describe it as un-put-downable

A good read that deals with the "da vinci code" thing in a more serious and non-fiction way is "The Templar Revelation". Far more interesting than Dan Brown's book, but then I really enjoy history.

AussieNick said:

interesting, you'd be one of the few that wouldnt describe it as un-put-downable

I just see it as a really good paperback ie read it once and then toss it in the bin.
I have also read his "Angels and Demons" which I felt was too much like the "Da Vinci code" and suffered the same problems.
To me far to many people are reading it for a purpose (ie the the Pro-religion team are out to discredit it and the anti-religion team are looking for "facts") when it reality it is just a well written work of fiction.

(I describe it as well written because of the stir it has caused, if it wasnt then it just be an obscure book).

excellent book. a lot of people think it's anti-religion, but honestly, if you have a faith and you believe it, then the book is nothing but a story.

i however, loved it. anyone read the first one, angels and demons? also a great book, but i thought the da vinci code should have made some mention to it. i know it wasn't a sequel, but it was the same characters, and i found it odd that there was barely any link. the da vinci code referenced places that were key parts of angels and demons, and langdon seemed to have no recollection of having ever seen them before, nor of the girl in the first book, nor the fact that he (and i wont give it away), had anything to do with the pope and what not.

i dont know. that bothered me a little. otherwise, excellent books :)

Leonardo is reputed to have had the highest IQ in history by some experts. Therefore his writings must bear some respectful scrutiny. However, I don't believe for a moment that his Creator can be understood or defined in his script, however intelligent he may have been.

MontyB said:
The thing I find hard to believe is how this book got this amount of publicity, the guy is not claiming it as fact and its not what I would describe as a potential classic but its now been blown so far out of perspective by certain groups that it is going to be a best seller for years to come.

Im not surprised at all. The Catholic Church has been under attack for decades now and anything that adds fuel to the fire will be sponsored and aided by the media.

Back