dangerous boot polish

No need to feel sorry for my boots if that is what you were implying. I have not ever had a negative comment about them, ever. But thank you for the concern....

lol, I'm not saying none of that stuff will work. Just from what they say the long term result can be... not so great. :D

Carry on! lol.

just read this and had a bit of a chuckle, my dad used to work for a company called Kiwi, and they made shoe polish, wonder if its one and the same, wouldn't that be a hoot!!!

Locke said:
just read this and had a bit of a chuckle, my dad used to work for a company called Kiwi, and they made shoe polish, wonder if its one and the same, wouldn't that be a hoot!!!

Umm... I wonder... Probably soo... :? :lol:

sherman105 said:
Wow, cadet, when did you come back?!

Ohhh you know me... I just kinda stick my head in every once in a while :D ;) Keeps things interesting!

fire shine is the best

howdy,
new to the board. didn't know it was here until now. wish i knew 2 years ago when i joined AFROTC. i am now going on Active Duty in a month in a half as an enlisted guy. AF is still a great way to go.
but some tips i learned is just use cotton balls and get that base coat on the boot. for the whole boot use a brush and buff it out. for the toe and heel use cotton balls and water. wet the cotton ball first of course. after you get it to a good shine light it and melt the wax then buff it with an old t-shirt.
Leather Luster is also a great option....you didn't hear that from me....lol
Jon

Ive been the Young Marines for 4 years and ive done my boots ever scence i received them but i never took a flame to my boot polish. if u think about it, it seems stupid but if it gets the best shine u can have on ur boots then ill try it. thanks for the advice. and does soaking ur cover in starch then putting ur cover in the oven really work???

Locke said:
The Kiwi polish is made by Hanes.

Locke said:

Yep. That's the one. GOOD NEWS!!! I FOUND SOME LINCOLN WAX!!! YAY FOR ME!!! Now my boots and shoes look sooooo y!

boots boots boots....there is an old saying. Polished boots at the begining of the day is a signed of a squared away soldier. Dirty boots at the end of the day is a sign of a working soldier.

Did it again! Jeez.. This time I caught the polish on fire to even it out (my cuz from the Army told me too... oh well) and well... it kinda got outta hand. So its sittin on my counter, and the flame is rising to almost a foot and I start yelling for my dad, cause I can't get the lid to put it out. right now I"m waiting for it to harden again. :lol:

Ok I have been reading about all of your boot shining problems and I had to give up my 2 cents on this one.

When I was in the 82nd I did nothing of the sort of melting my polish first. I just went down to this shop called the drop zone where I could get A haircut and a great boot job in 15 minutes.

However now that I am at a little pogue post I found the best way to get a great shine is this method.

1 DYE!!!!
2 apply a very thin coat ( brush shine) of kiwi and allow to set for about 20 minutes

3 once the kiwi has set you then apply a very thick coat of kiwi and let it harden (no buffing yet) just put it on and let it harden (your finger is the best way to apply it) remember very thick coat.

4 once the kiwi has hardened you then buff it off lightly. This will give you a very nice shine but it will be ruff(it will have your finger prints in it)

5 To get out the ruffness of the shine you take kiwi neutral and a small piece of a sponge. wet the sponge and lightly ring it out then dip it in the neutral polish (use only a small amount or you will make the shine cloudy) then proceed with standard spit shining procedure until the shine is to your standard (or the person you are trying to impress).

This method worked for me for a very long time till io realized that how shiny your boots are does not make the Soldier.

A technique that I find works really well is to cover the whole boot in polish and take it all off with your brush. That way your not polishing over dirt. Next you apply only a little bit of polish to the area your working on. Spit on the polish and get working. After a bit try simply breathing on the area. This helps because it heats up the polish and puts moisture on it. When you finish this, Apply polish again and hold the boot up side down in the air. Take a lighter and carefully heat the polish. Quickly after you finish lighting it lick your cloth and rub.

If you're in a hurry skip the spit and breathe part.

I preffer to use two fingers when polishing for one simple reason. It covers more area. Personally I don't like to sit around and polish boots so the quicker I get it done the better.

Hope this works for you.

Thats funny! I had a PFC dang near light up his wall locker at Camp Schwab doin the same thing. Youngsters please be careful lighting the kiwi. Maybe you should get a Cpl. to do it for ya :lol:

Heck yeah it is! Harmony Church, Ft. Benning quite a few of the old buildings burnt down EXACTLY because of that.

SOT_II said:
Heck yeah it is! Harmony Church, Ft. Benning quite a few of the old buildings burnt down EXACTLY because of that.

Not that, my friend, is hilarious. It would be so embarrassing to burn down someones belongings polishing boots.

lol i forgot this thread
yeah, i was talking to my dad and he said that the company he worked for "kiwi brands" and it was owned by hanes or smth and that they sold thier shoe polish all over the world w000t

OK have been reading this very carefully see if you can offer me any tips to help me with my shoes and my boots. But have decided I'm gonna stick to the tried and tested RAF way.

1. Go to supply get new shoes/boots
2. Take them to the armoury
3. Pay the armourer 2 british pounds
4. Go back to work/barracks/mess
5. Two weeks later go back to armoury collect shoes/boots
6. Stand and admire the nice new shiny aircraft jet nose cone paint that is now all over your shoes (whilst standing and admiring peer at toecaps realise you need a shave)
7. Go do what you like
This is a public service announcement on behalf of lazy sods all over the world I thank you
Jay :lol:
p.s. brush polish normally its only my parade shoes that are painted

Back