The Danger of Drugs

There's a series on BBC2 called "Coppers" at the moment.
Its an no holds barred look at Policing in the UK.
Each episode looks at a different aspect of the Police, CID, Armed Response, Territorial Support Group, and recently on new trainees.
The arrested a known drug user, and dealer, a young girl in her twenties, and they did a similar thing showing mug shots of her first arrest when she was in her early teens to now.
The transformation is horrific, and thats just the external changes!
Her insides, if they could be seen must be and even bigger mess.

These people are a waste of fresh air.

Oh don't get me started mate!
I have seen these people given so many opportunities to move on and get a fresh start, only to throw it all away for a quick fix.
And your taxes pay for it all
I went to a heroin O/D. He had stopped breathing.
Gave the antidote, got him to A&E. He walked out after telling everyone to go forth.
Three hours later I'm picking him up again!
In three days, he was in A&E five times, and each time he was a nasty piece of work.
Eventually he did it and he died of a massive O/D.
All his friends and family were in the papers on what a loving, caring, friend/son he was.
Yeah right! I went to him once after he'd mugged an old lady for her pension and when running away he fell and split his head open.
I'm a compassionate man, but I find it hard to be so when dealing with these people.

Oh don't get me started mate!
I have seen these people given so many opportunities to move on and get a fresh start, only to throw it all away for a quick fix.
And your taxes pay for it all
I went to a heroin O/D. He had stopped breathing.
Gave the antidote, got him to A&E. He walked out after telling everyone to go forth.
Three hours later I'm picking him up again!
In three days, he was in A&E five times, and each time he was a nasty piece of work.
Eventually he did it and he died of a massive O/D.
All his friends and family were in the papers on what a loving, caring, friend/son he was.
Yeah right! I went to him once after he'd mugged an old lady for her pension and when running away he fell and split his head open.
I'm a compassionate man, but I find it hard to be so when dealing with these people.

I know what you mean, brother...

We've seen that, a fair bit, here in Singapore. The government really got tough on drug pushers and the situation sort of got prety much better. Now, it will be a "lucky" moment for paramedics to come across a OD case.

We still get a lot of youth getting drunk unnecessaryly...:sick::sick::sick:

I know what you mean, brother...

We've seen that, a fair bit, here in Singapore. The government really got tough on drug pushers and the situation sort of got prety much better. Now, it will be a "lucky" moment for paramedics to come across a OD case.

We still get a lot of youth getting drunk unnecessaryly...:sick::sick::sick:

This is the problem with middle of the road law regarding drugs, either they should be made legal or do as Singapore and Malaysia does, execute the buggers.

I heard that the Singapore Government cracked down hard on druggies, sending dealers and mules to the gallows.

This is the problem with middle of the road law regarding drugs, either they should be made legal or do as Singapore and Malaysia does, execute the buggers.

I heard that the Singapore Government cracked down hard on druggies, sending dealers and mules to the gallows.

Sad to say, yes, it is a mandatory death penalty fro drug traffikers and mules in Singapore. The rule is that if you are caught with the equivalent weight of 60gm of certain drugs (heroin is one), you have an appoitment with the hangman, as you are considered as trafficking.

I know some quarters will say that they law we have with regards to this matter is very draconian and inhumane, but with someone who is a harcore drug abuser or worse, peddling the stuff, I do not see the difference.

What I do believe is this- if you are willing to do crime, then you must be willing to face the consequences...

Sad to say, yes, it is a mandatory death penalty fro drug traffikers and mules in Singapore. The rule is that if you are caught with the equivalent weight of 60gm of certain drugs (heroin is one), you have an appoitment with the hangman, as you are considered as trafficking.

I know some quarters will say that they law we have with regards to this matter is very draconian and inhumane, but with someone who is a harcore drug abuser or worse, peddling the stuff, I do not see the difference.

What I do believe is this- if you are willing to do crime, then you must be willing to face the consequences...

Quite frankly Viper I agree with the law. Imagine how many lives that filthy stuff has ruined and how many lives it has claimed. I am also an admirer of corporal punishment that Singapore dishes out at times. The bleeding heart liberals are the cause of so much crap in the UK regarding youths, the little bastards are out of control and the cops can't touch them.

Quite frankly Viper I agree with the law. Imagine how many lives that filthy stuff has ruined and how many lives it has claimed. I am also an admirer of corporal punishment that Singapore dishes out at times. The bleeding heart liberals are the cause of so much crap in the UK regarding youths, the little bastards are out of control and the cops can't touch them.

Mr Brit, I have very little idea of the law that UK imposes on such matter, but I can say that many of the laws here are very much based on UK laws.

The death penalty is actually meant as a deterent against drug abuse, but I suppose some people will just want to see how far they can take this.

We've applied this law not only to locals, but also to foreigners as well. This is where it gets a bit touchy. The family of the accuse will try their best to get their representative to try to make some kind of consession to get the accused off the hook, but very few, if any, have managed to get their way.

I know this example is rather off-topic but we had this kid from the States- Micheal Fay- who did some crap and was sentenced to jail and 6 strokes of the cane. His family appealed and even got Clinton to step in on the family's behalf. I remembered the Governor of Ohio passing around some petition in the state to get soem kind of leverage- and the response was poor. In fact from what I've read, one Ohioan said that, if they have such laws there, delinquency of such nature would be kept in check.

It is sad that we have to resort to this sort of enforcement, but I hate to imagine if we had not.

Unfortunately in the UK drug users are treated as the victims, not the people around them who suffer from their actions.
As long as this view exists, the law abiding people will have to suffer being robbed by them, having to step over them when they're spaced out on the floor, ducking to avoid turf fights between dealers, and avoiding places meant for the enjoyment of the honest person because it is littered with drug paraphernalia, or people on drugs.
Our politicians do not have the guts to introduce the laws required to deter and punish this anti-social behaviour that blights society.

Unfortunately in the UK drug users are treated as the victims, not the people around them who suffer from their actions.
As long as this view exists, the law abiding people will have to suffer being robbed by them, having to step over them when they're spaced out on the floor, ducking to avoid turf fights between dealers, and avoiding places meant for the enjoyment of the honest person because it is littered with drug paraphernalia, or people on drugs.
Our politicians do not have the guts to introduce the laws required to deter and punish this anti-social behaviour that blights society.

I can't comment on UK laws, it is not fair for me- 1. I am not a UK citizen. 2. I have no right to do so.

Here, in Singapore, the drug users are put through a drug rehab program- they have a choice of doing it voluntary, or when they are caught by the law enforcement agency.

Unfortunately, some after release, will resort back to their old habit. Most will turn over a new leaf, and trying to make something for themselves, usually supported by family members and various organisation.

I am sure they have some kind of rehab program for drug users, don't they in UK?

I am sure they have some kind of rehab program for drug users, don't they in UK?

There are, but they are mostly voluntary, funded by charities, and have limited places on them.
They are also seen by junkies as a soft option, jail or rehab.
They attend for the required sessions then they usualy carry on as before.
In my job I see the same faces over and over again, and they only usualy stop when the O/D is fatal.

There are, but they are mostly voluntary, funded by charities, and have limited places on them.
They are also seen by junkies as a soft option, jail or rehab.
They attend for the required sessions then they usualy carry on as before.
In my job I see the same faces over and over again, and they only usualy stop when the O/D is fatal.

It is becoming clear to me why you are critical in your view with regards to this isuue. So did Mr Brit, I am beginning to understand the issue much more.

Don't the government have some sort of law that enables the law enforcement people to go after the drug pushers and the drug abusers?

It is becoming clear to me why you are critical in your view with regards to this isuue. So did Mr Brit, I am beginning to understand the issue much more.

Don't the government have some sort of law that enables the law enforcement people to go after the drug pushers and the drug abusers?

Unfortunately the law favours the law breakers.
The Police stopped a car with four youths, and found stolen number plates, weapons (Knives) and drugs for supply.
All four were released without charge as the Police could not link any of them to the items found!
My brother in law had his car stolen by two youths.
Upon their arrest they both stated he gave them permision to take the car.
Their word against his. No charges.
I could go on for pages.
Any action taken by the Police against organised dealers, and users is short lived due to budget restriction, and usualy politicaly motivated.
Its launched with great fanfare and press coverage, "look how seriously were taking drug crime" and fizzles out after a few months.
Any dealers taken of the streats are soon replaced by others waiting in the wings.
The ones caught get pathetic sentancing, if they are jailed its for months only.
The Police on the streets are demoralised by the whole thing.
They see people they've arrested walking out of court on a regular basis, scot free flipping them the finger.
Brit, any room out there for another one?

The Police stopped a car with four youths, and found stolen number plates, weapons (Knives) and drugs for supply.
All four were released without charge as the Police could not link any of them to the items found!
I could go on for pages.
Any action taken by the Police against organised dealers, and users is short lived due to budget restriction, and usualy politicaly motivated.
Its launched with great fanfare and press coverage, "look how seriously were taking drug crime" and fizzles out after a few months.
Any dealers taken of the streats are soon replaced by others waiting in the wings.
The ones caught get pathetic sentancing, if they are jailed its for months only.
They see people they've arrested walking out of court on a regular basis, scot free flipping them the finger.

That is indeed a little upsetting, Trooper.

I can understand the concept of innocent till proven guilty, but that is way too much, and way too far...

Like you, I have my fair share of watching young lives destroyed because of drugs. When I was attached to the prison service, providing medical care for the the prisoners, I watched a young guy being hanged for trafficking drugs (we had to be there to certify death after sentence carried out). This guy was trafficking, but he never touched the stuff (according to his statement)

Do I feel pity for him? To be honest, no. Do I feel that he deserved what was coming to him, yes. It was a strange feeling for me at that moment- being there as a healthcare worker.

Drug pushers, they are worse than terrorist. I do not know if this sounds right, and I know this will only happen in the movies- but I wish Dirty Harry is there now in UK. Or Sgt Angel (from the movie Hotfuzz)

Last edited:
I could go on for pages.

Damn that's sounds pretty bad, at least here there is a trial (most of the time) but our system is F***ed in the head so, many times nothing happens or they get small jail time. Here in San Francisco the hippies smoke weed on the streets and the cops don't even care. I remember when our baseball team won, i saw some cops were smoking weed with everyone else on the street. :bang:

Damn that's sounds pretty bad, at least here there is a trial (most of the time) but our system is F***ed in the head so, many times nothing happens or they get small jail time. Here in San Francisco the hippies smoke weed on the streets and the cops don't even care. I remember when our baseball team won, i saw some cops were smoking weed with everyone else on the street. :bang:

In the US ,too?:cry::cry::cry:

Trooper you may think its bad in UK, its far worse here. The average crime clear up rate was 6%, now its dropped to under 1%. Quite a number of police have been charged with corruption, rape, robbery and murder, yet they get away with it time after time. Nowadays, the general consensus is don't call the cops, deal with the problem yourself.

Our head chief of police who was in line to command Interpol is now spending 15 years in jail.

Back