Danes In Afghanistan

KV.

Seing as I am one of only a few danes on this site - I wanted to post a new thread with the focus on the Danish forces in Afghanistan

Danish Infantry, Helmand pt. 1

(With english subtitles)

Danish Infantry, Helmand pt. 2

(With english subtitles)

Danish LEOPARD 2A5 in Afghanistan

(Short video of the Danish MBT in the desert)

-KV.

Danes did good work in Bosnia at sugartip hill and now again in the Stan.
Good men, great warriors.

//KJ.

Its nice to see the Danish army ,i was always liked your country. Leo's 2A5 with desrt camo looks pretty cool.
How large is Danish army? how many troops you send to Afghanistan?
Thx for sharnig and i waiting for more.

Its nice to see the Danish army ,i was always liked your country. Leo's 2A5 with desrt camo looks pretty cool.
How large is Danish army? how many troops you send to Afghanistan?
Thx for sharnig and i waiting for more.

Well last I heard was around 10.000 troops in the Army and about another 10.000 divided between the Royal Air Force and the Royal Navy.
Not sure if the number has changed since then.
Army Reserve and National Guard (Home Guard is probably the correct translation) - I have no idea about, but probably around 3 times the combined Army, Navy and Air Force.

Currently we are operating the Helmand provins, commanding what used to be designated Battlegroup Center, now designated Danish Battlegroup.
The BG consists of app. 750 troops. Batallion size.

At the same time we have troops deployed to Kosovo and Lebanon aswell..

-KV.

There are almost 53.000 members of the Danish Home Guard consisting of the Army, Navy and Air Force Home Guard. Currently 30 soldiers from the Guard are serving in Afghanistan.

Cheers
Kristina

Good stuff you have for us here, many thanks! :smile:

Does someone know if there are any plans on refitting the Danish A5 to A6(M)? Mine protection kit would come in handy in Afghanistan, I'd guess...

Good stuff you have for us here, many thanks! :smile:

Does someone know if there are any plans on refitting the Danish A5 to A6(M)? Mine protection kit would come in handy in Afghanistan, I'd guess...

I don't know if there are any plans to upgrade to A6M - but if I did, I would not put the answer here on the open forum either - due to OPSEC.

The Canadians have leased 2A6M from Germany, and are operating them in the Kandahar provins - I know they too have had some minestrikes/IED incidents. One incident involving a 2A6M and a rather large IED, resulted in the Canadian Crew surviving and they have been credited with being the first official (possibly not the most enthusiastic) test subjects of the effectiveness of the M-upgrade...

Perhaps a quick search on Google would give you some more in-depth and factual information about it.

-KV.

Last edited:
Add: A few more videos from youtube.

The first video actually shot with a helmet cam - but it does show the enviroment of Helmand provins, where British, US and Danish soldiers are operating.

Danish soldiers in Afghanistan

Sadly no english subtitles on this video - if people are interested i will see about making a new video and uploading it to my own youtube.

Jagten på Taliban (The Hunt for the Taliban)

-KV.

Last edited:
I know about the M-upgrade itself, all I wanted to know was...well, what I asked^^. If you're going to upgrade.
In Germany, stuff like this would be published by the military itself, didn't know it's some kind of a secret in Denmark. Of course no specs and the like, but the info that an upgrade is planned wouldn't be classified I think.
The KWS III program for the Leopard 2 for example - shame it wasn't realized. 140 mm smoothbore w/ autoloader. That would've been sweet. :shock:
Oh and thanks for the new vids!

I know about the M-upgrade itself, all I wanted to know was...well, what I asked^^. If you're going to upgrade.
In Germany, stuff like this would be published by the military itself, didn't know it's some kind of a secret in Denmark. Of course no specs and the like, but the info that an upgrade is planned wouldn't be classified I think.
The KWS III program for the Leopard 2 for example - shame it wasn't realized. 140 mm smoothbore w/ autoloader. That would've been sweet. :shock:
Oh and thanks for the new vids!

As I said ^^ - I don't know if there are plans of upgrading the Leo's..

In the end it's also a question of escalation - if we upgrade our armour - they in turn will just make larger IED's, use more Anti-Armour-Mines, so what do you do ?

Yeah - I know the Danish Leo's are a national version Leopard 2A5DK so there are a few differences between the standard A5's but what they are I am don't really know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_2
There is section of the text comparing the A5DK and the A6M operating in Helmand - with 2 described similar incidents.

-KV.

One Danish Soldier wounded in IED strike Helmand provins, Afghanistan.

Translated from Danish Army Operational Command News Site.

"Afghanistan, Helmand: Monday before noon, an Armoured Personel Carrier was hit by an explosion. One soldier was wounded. The closest relatives have been notified.
19-04-2010, 13:15
The soldier was on route to the Forward Operating Base Budwan in an Armoured Personel Carrier, when the vehicle was hit by an Improvised Explosive Device.

The other soldiers and the medical personel provided first aid at the scene. The soldier was MEDEVACed to the Field Hospital in Camp Bastion, where he was attended to by a doctor, and was soon after discharged from the hospital.
The soldier is serving with the Engineer Detachment, from the Engineer Regiment in Skive, Denmark. He has been in contact with his closest relatives."

Luckily only a lightly wounded.

-KV.

Six Danes wounded in explosion in Helmand.

"AFGHANISTAN, Helmand: Sunday afternoon five Danish soldiers and one civilian Danish national, was hit by an explosion. The closest relatives have been notified.

25-04-2010, 18:30
Six Danes were wounded by an explosion in close proximity to FOB Budwan.

When a column of vehicles were on their way to the forward operating base Budwan, when one of the vehicles was hit by an improvised explosive device. The wounded danes where in close proximity of the vehicle hit by the IED.

The other soldiers and the medical personel provided first aid at the scene. The wounded were evacuated to the Field Hospital in Camp Bastion by helicopter.
All six wounded, have been in contact with their closest relatives.

One of the wounded soldiers is from HQ&LOG-Coy, and four are from B-Coy, The Royal Lifeguards. The civilian dane is a guest of the Danish Battlegroup."

Speedy recovery to you, guys !

-KV

Three soldiers wounded, Helmand provins, Afghanistan.

"Afghanistan, Helmand: Three soldiers were wounded by two Improvised Explosive Devices. The closest relatives have been notified.

30-04-2010. 13:05
A Danish patrol in the Green Zone was hit by two IEDs.
The Patrol was hit by one explosion while they were moving forward. The soldiers were able to continue on foot back to the FOB. On the way back the patrol was hit by another IED. Two soldiers were hit by fragments.
The other soldiers and the medical personel provided first aid at the scene. The two wounded soldiers and the two soldiers implicated in the first IED strike were evacuated to the Field Hospital in Camp Bastion by helicopter.

Upon returning to base a third soldier was discovered to have been hit in the second explosion aswell. He too was evacuated to Camp Bastion.

All 5 soldiers are now in Camp Bastion, and they have all been in contact with their closest relatives."

-KV.

Last edited:
Many aspects are to blame, but one can be passed over to military too:
Quick military action, forceful action- yeas! jiderring, allowing existence of insurgents pockets, allowing corrupt officials in power, expectancy of a strong central government, not a regional governing in a country with tribal traditions... result- no one wins!
Suggestive action would be risky: to split big bases in to small units, take control on a village to village basis, take local afgani law enforcers in to immediate cooperative service... and hope for the summer to come to be more successful.

Last edited:
Damn! It’s getting a little to hot for comfort over there.

KV, my friend. You make damn sure that you keep your butt close to the ground and take care when you return to Afgan. I don’t want to be the one that has to tell, on this forum, that………..! Well, you know.

Two soldiers wounded, Helmand provins, Afghanistan.

"Afghanistan, Helmand: Two soldiers were wounded today, by an Improvised Explosive Device. The closest relatives have been notified.

03-05-2010 kl. 09:55
Two soldiers were, early monday morning, hit by an IED explosion. The soldiers were along with their platoon on a patrol near FOB Budwan (FOB Armadillo). The platoon came under fire and engaged the enemy. On their way back an IED exploded close by. When arriving back in the FOB the soldiers were attended to by the camp doctor, two soldiers were suffering from severe pain, and were quickly flown to the field hospital in Camp Bastion.

The soldiers are from Charlie-COY from the Guard Husars Regiment (Garderhusarregimentet) at Antvorskov Barracks (Antvorskov Kaserne)."

-KV.

Last edited:
Eleven Danish soldiers and two local translators wounded

Eleven Danish soldiers wounded

"Afghanistan, Helmand: Eleven Danish soldiers were wounded tuesday evening, when their Patrolbase Bridzar was attacked. The relatives have been notified.

05-05-2010. 07:40

Tuesday evening, eleven danish soldiers were wounded, when Patrolbase Bridzar was attacked just before a very heavy sandstorm set in across the entire danish AO. The very bad visibility did at first not allow for the wounded to be evacuated by helicopters.
The wounded soldiers are all from Charlie-Coy, Guard Husars Regiment, Antvorskov Barracks (Garderhusarregimentet, Antvorskov Kaserne).
They are operating in patrolbases northeast of the town Gereshk.
The Danish Battlegroup immidiately sent in reinforcements with doctors and an additional ambulance, to evacuate the wounded soldiers on the ground. At that same time, the medical personel provided first aid on the scene. Charlie-Coy used their own vehicles to transport the wounded from PB Bridzar to the PB Clifton to the north. Before the reinforcements arrived the sandstorm stopped and a helicopter was immidiately airborne to collect the wounded soldiers from PB Clifton and evacuate them to the field hospital at Camp Bastion.
Along with the 11 wounded soldiers, 2 local translators were wounded."

http://forsvaret.dk/HOK/Nyt og Presse/ISAF/Pages/11danskesoldatersårede.aspx

Damn it !!!

Speedy recovery guys !

-KV.

Just read about that on the news here as well, things are really heating up in Afghanistan now. :?

Damn it !!!

Speedy recovery guys !
^^^^^^What he said!!!

Back