Danes In Afghanistan

Busy times, hope all remaining RTB.

Get well and get back in the fight, men like these are needed.
Hold hard.

//KJ.

*UPDATE*
On the aftermath of earlier post; "Eleven Danish soldiers wounded..." 05-05-2010. 07:40

One soldier still in critical condition - 2-3 soldiers are to be transported back to Denmark, for more intensive treatment.

-KV.

Now for something different!

KV: Same here.. The general public never hears about what denmark and norway does unless they take cassualties.
Some people in the service however travel alot between the bases and meet counterparts every now and again.

//KJ.

As KJ said in this thread http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/isaf-swe-german-aid-t83417.html#post574585, there are far to little news of what is actually going on in the Stan - this post is to show what else is going on.

Translated from Danish Army Operational Command News Site.
http://forsvaret.dk/HOK/Nyt og Presse/ISAF/Pages/DanskerebyggerbroiTalebansskudfelt.aspx

(Pictures available on the site linked to above)

Danes build bridge in the Talibans arch of fire.

"AFGHANISTAN, Helmand: For the first time in recent years of international operations, the Combat Engineers of the Danish Battlegroup have succeeded in the classic engineer discipline; building a Field Bridge.

05-05-2010. 10:55

The Army's red instruction manuals clearly states the job for Army Engineers: To create the best terrain conditions for other units combat.
To translate into more understandable words it means, that the engineers are to remove obstacles, which are in the way, to build things which are necessesary for other units to complete their missions. The army' engagements in the last 20 years of international missions in different conflict- and war-torn areas, have provided great challenges for the danish engineers. At the moment, on a daily basis, the engineers serving with the Danish Battlegroup, main concern is finding IEDs, while on patrol with the danish infantry in Helmand provins, Afghanistan. But along with the many new and different tasks, are one of the old classic parade disciplines still; building a field bridge across a canal.

Helps everyone
During the, newly completed Operation Lmariz Tufaan (Sunstorm) the danish engineers had the oppertunity to build a field bridge in an operational situation. During the operation, which goal was to make an area in the village of Rahim, ready for the construction of a policestation, there was an operationel need to build a bridge across a canal. The area sourrounding Rahim is a rowdy area, with quite a few Taliban fighters. Since a bridge across the canal would be of large importance for the local people, and the Afghan and international security forces, there was a large risk of attacks on the engineers. Therefor additional units were close by at all times ready to engage the Taliban, while the engineers constructed the bridge. The Danish combat engineers have three different types of bridges. To types which are built manually and a third type which is suited for armour, and is put in place by special bridge tank.
The engineers only have one type available in Afghanistan. So as an important part of the overall planning of OP Lmariz Tufaan, the Feltbro M/71 (Field Bridge M/71) was prepared for use. The bridge was chosen, because the time of its construction, fit into the available time, and risk in the area. The field bridge is a modular built metal bridge, which can be built in different lengths depending on the need. It is constructed continuosly on one side of the canal and pushed toward the other bank, until it reaches it. Basically a simple task, which does require a lot of muscle work, since the metal modules are very heavy.

Few hours of work
When the combat engineers had cleared the path down to the canal for IEDs, a truck loaded with the "ready-made" bridge modules, drove down to the canal and unloaded the pieces. With the sun already high, the heat quicly rose to above 30 degrees centigrade, the engineers commenced the task, which became somthing out of the ordinary for the soldiers. "That was a well hard task, mainly because of the heat, and also because we were engaged and interrupted several times by incoming fire at 50 - 100 meters, but also because of our own controlled explosions. Each time we stopped and had to assess whether it was one of our own or if it was the Taliban firing. Several times we had to drop everything and man our fighting positions", explains Pvt. Troels, which was one of the engineers constructing the bridge.

The danish soldiers were not alone in the task. The task for combat engineers on OP Lmariz Tufaan was so great, that an additional element of UK engineers was assigned to the OP aswell.
"We had bang-on cooperation with the brits. Eventhough their bridge is slightly different than ours, the cooperation worked great. Not only when we were constructing the bridge but also when we manned the fighting positions, when the Taliban engaged us." states Troels.
After five hours of continuosly hard work, a new usable bridge, helping both civilians and soldiers alike was in place in Rahim.

Addition:
Truth be told - a reader has kindly pointed out, that Danish Combat Engineers set up a field bridge at FOB Keenan on Team 4 (2007-2008). That is correct, and it is still there. But that was a British bridge, made available for the DABG. The new bridge at Rahim is a danish field bridge, which the british helped us put in place. So this is not the first time, danish soldiers have put out a field bride, but it is the first time a Danish field bridge have been put out."

Anyone have an interest in these posts - otherwise I won't bother translating it and putting it up ???

-KV.

Danish soldier killed - 5 wounded

Yesterday 1 danish soldier was killed, and another 5 were wounded in two seperate IED strikes.

Tuesday at around 12 am local time, Pvt. Sophia Bruun, 22 was killed by an IED strike in close proximity to Patrol Base Bridzar, which is located about 6 km's NE of the town Gereshk, when her Piranha (wheeled APC) struck an IED. 2 soldiers were injured in the same incident.
Sophia Bruun was serving as a Gunner in C-Coy from the Guard Husars Regiment (Garderhusarregimentet).

About 4 hours later 3 danish soldiers were wounded in another IED strike, during the continuing operations in the area. One critical.
Of the three wounded, one was from the Guard Husars Regiment, one from the Logistics Regiment, and one from the Engineers Regiment.
The critically wounded is being evacuated to Denmark for intensive treatment.

All relatives have been notified.

Rest In Peace Sophia - In Actis Esto Volucris "Be Swift In Action"

Speedy Recovery to the wounded.

http://forsvaret.dk/HOK/Nyt%20og%20Presse/ISAF/Pages/Dansksoldatdr%C3%A6btogfems%C3%A5ret.aspx

http://forsvaret.dk/HOK/Nyt og Presse/ISAF/Pages/Dendræbtesoldat_100602.aspx

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this – your first loss of a female soldier I believe.

Fá upp og drekka út Einherjar, Óðinn fagnar þú til Valhalla.

(Stand up and empty your mug Einherjar, Odin welcomes you to Valhalla.
Not being disrespectful; this is just the way we in my unit expresses our respect for someone who has fallen in battle.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einherjar

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this – your first loss of a female soldier I believe.

Fá upp og drekka út Einherjar, Óðinn fagnar þú til Valhalla.

(Stand up and empty your mug Einherjar, Odin welcomes you to Valhalla.
Not being disrespectful; this is just the way we in my unit expresses our respect for someone who has fallen in battle.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einherjar

She is our first female casualty in Afghanistan, but not our first female casualty ever.

How long before Danish troops can rotate out. The Danes a splendid warriors. It's in their blood. [My Mom is from Brost and Dad is from Torslev]

Well no one knows for sure - Politicians are arguing about a toning down the military focus, and focusing on the reconstruction and rebuilding effort in the Danish AO. This meaning an drop in troop levels, but what and when it will happen is still very much unknown.

/KV.

HD video of danish soldiers, Helmand, Afghan... From last year; but still worth seing.

VIDAR COY ISAF 7

Medieval helpdesk

And now for something completely different:

This is a rough translation of a Danish language officers blog from April 2009 - yeah I know its old, but still.

How everyone should deal with IED facilitators and their helpers when the chance occurs!

--------------
It was already half past four. It would soon be dark. IEDD Team (Improvised Explosive Device Disposal Team) of British engineers who specialize in removing IEDs, could only come by helicopter the morning after. I thought if we couldn't just blow it and then call it an accident. Instead we decided to put a group in ambush position in the poppy field. And wait.

I was left with the eight other soldiers and platoon commander. There were no civilians around. I started to get worried.

We hid ourselves in the [poppy field. Down among the roots, it was another world. There clambered beetles around, and only the humming of the insects reached here. The platoon moved away, a few less now. I could not see them, but their steps sounded like small bangs, when they crushed some poppy shells. First I thought it was a fire fight far away. I started to hear the fire fight in many places now. The sound disappeared and the platoon was in hiding a few hundred meters behind us - as a reserve.

I was tired. The poppy field was pleasant and soft, and we took the helmets off to be able to listen better. Sleep came on me as a big soft teddybear. I fought against the quiet, and concentrated, but was about to doze away. Then I heard the sound of a motorcycle. It couldn't be big. It drove somewhere in front of us and disappeared. On the group's internal radio the platoon commander whispered, struggling between remaining hidden and keeping the IED in view.

The motorcycle had traveled to the IED, stopped and drove on. I was about to reach for my helmet when I began to hear voices. They spoke Pashto. It was reported again that five to six men began to gather around the IED. They had elongated bundle in their shirts. Not knowing where they came from. They had two children by the hand. My adrenaline was slowly, by surely, rising. Typical Taliban tactics. Another whispered announcement. The men had sent the children away and was now around the IED and talking, laughing. One had a radio to his ear and pointed around as if he directed.

THE FOLLOWING, I heard made me an executioner. My ears signed their death sentence. I could clearly hear it. First, a name coming out of a crackling radio. Then a man who replied through the radio, where are you, yes. we are there, o.k.

Taliban. They had sent the children away because they had not discovered us and are no longer needed them as shields. The man on the motorcycle had been a digger. I reported that I heard the voice of the Taliban radio, which I had done many times before. Only difference was that I no longer sat several kilometers away from them, but instead a stonethrow away. The radio crackled merrily ahead with messages and orders, and the man directed his people. Our platoon commander made his decision. "Ok, open fire on my command, we open from left to right. The countdown from three, and then we get up and open up. "

My heart pumped, but actually less hard than I expected. I was focused, anxiety. Tense. I can not describe the feeling.

"Three, two, one '

I got up, we all came up together. In front of me I saw five or six very surprised Afghans. Can not remember switching of the safety on my rifle, can not remember me focus through the optics. But I can still see them fall. It is running on repeat in my brain when I smoke cigarettes or eat.

It was not a battle. They were completely surprised. After the first salvo we moved in teams, one team supported the other team jumping ahead. The machine gunner on the extreme left looked like a chaotic war god while he sprayed death from the hip in long salvos at across the area where the Taliban had been.

Cries and commands, garbage and smoke. We arrived at the road and threw a grenade over the compound wall in front of us. Up the road was put supporting fire. It all alternatingly crazy, and a fantastic sight. Repeated, extreme sensations made the memory a mosaic of brown, green, red, fire and earth, shout and salvos.

The fight subsided quickly. If there had been any, and not just a trip to the shooting range. Besides the IED was a very dead man.

The blood still flowed from under his Kamis, and he did not have the tinge of wax yet. First I thought it was parts of his head which was in spots beside him.

When I got closer, I saw it was red flowers, which he perhaps had in his hand? A little further away was the fateful radio. But otherwise only abandoned clothes and silence. A person can indeed go a long way on adrenaline, if he does not suffer a fatal injury instantly. But where were the rest, asked the soldiers.

'Ghosts', I said suddenly. 'Ghosts. Dukher. That was what the Russians called them '.

I confiscated the radio and his cell phone. If you can confiscate a dead man's belongings.

It was an excellent radio. You could switch to the FM band, which I did when I was secure, while others took pictures and collected for the report. I found a local station. Slow Ghazal forward with a deep, sorrowful voice, accompanied by dhool-drums. I imagined it was what an opium high must be like.

The I spotted the man from earlier, the man in white with the Pakistani beard. To the south. The only figure in a Green Zone devoid of people. He stood several hundred meters away and cried, with his back towards us. He cried Allah. Several times. Shortly after each other. First deeply, then shrieking. God, God, God. It was their leader. God was not with him today. Maybe God had instead, in irony, made the opium fields become his men's downfall.

It was twilight. We left the dead beside his IED. Perhaps his leader would take him back. We slid away through the fields again in the growing darkness. It was full moon, so I didn't turn on my night vision equipment. Everything was shrouded in silver. We clambered silently over walls and through the rivers, frogs croaked and dogs barked somewhere far away. Otherwise, only the sound of wind. Now we were ghosts.

-----------------

Recent danish tv documentary about the Danish Army Special Forces. First time in more than 10 years, a TV crew has been allowed access to the Danish Special Forces during training and during deployment to Afghanistan.

No subtitles I'm afraid.

Jægerkorpset - Danish Special Forces Part 1

Jægerkorpset - Danish Special Forces Part 2

Jægerkorpset - Danish Special Forces Part 3

Jægerkorpset - Danish Special Forces Part 4

Jægerkorpset - Danish Special Forces Part 5

Jægerkorpset - Danish Special Forces Part 6

Back