Dambusters collection sells for 75,000 - Page 2

--

January 30th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
If I remember correctly 55 thousand died in Bomber Command. I have no idea how many died in Fighter Command and Coastal Command. A family relation was rear gunner on Lancasters, his aeroplane was shot down during the 1000 bomber raid. He's buried with his crew in the Black Forest.

Then there are those who were accused of cowardice and branded LMF ,or Lack of Moral Fibre, PTSD didn't exist according to the RAF. They were stripped of their rank and wings then posted away from the station. Then top of that there were those who were too badly wounded to fly again.
They weren't very forgiving back then. Sorry for your relation. My great uncle was the only survivor of a bomber that went down. The fact that he was the only survivor landed him in an institution after the war. It took him several years to recover. But your right he continued to wars end and had the breakdown afterwards. Something about the military structure keep him together until he had to much time to think about it.
January 31st, 2015  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC
They weren't very forgiving back then. Sorry for your relation. My great uncle was the only survivor of a bomber that went down. The fact that he was the only survivor landed him in an institution after the war. It took him several years to recover. But your right he continued to wars end and had the breakdown afterwards. Something about the military structure keep him together until he had to much time to think about it.
So many survivors of WW2 suffered long after the war.

A friend of my dad had nightmares of his time in Burma with the Chindits until he died, an uncle survived Dunkirk but ended up in a mental hospital wit hwhat was termed in those days Bomb Happy. My dad went to visit him and walked past his bed. He didn't recognise his own brother. After extensive treatment he was able to lead a fairly normal life. Then in 1967-68 where he worked in North London the Battle of Britain was being filmed, seeing so many German planes flying over head set him back years. He had a nervous breakdown. Some never got over their ordeal.