Cute Story

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
I don't normally share too many details of my personal life, but something happened to me on Wednesday morning that was pretty cute and I figured you'd all appreciate it.

I took the train from NJ down to DC on Wednesday morning (20 Dec 2006), and was wearing what the PHS calls the "service dress blue sweater" uniform -- dark pants, white dress shirt with black necktie, dark pullover sweater, and white combination cover. (I had forgotten to bring a bonafide uniform jacket/coat with me, so I had a nylon flight jacket over all of this.)

Walking from the train to the terminal at Union Station in DC, there was a group of middle- to older-aged people clustered on the platform -- one of them, an older black woman, stopped me and shook my hand. "Thank you so much for your service," she said, "and I just want to let you know that we're praying for all of you." Then she smiled. "There's something I want to show you," she added. And she proceeded to render a military salute.

Grinning, I returned the salute, and said, "Thank you, ma'am -- as you were. And thank you for your support." The rest of her group were also smiling as I bid them good day and continued on my way.

I thought that was nice of her. :thumb:

Back