Currently enlisted, questions about transferring.

JSmith19D

Well, I've done some research on my own, but I've come to an apparent dead end and I don't want to quite give up until I've given an answer by someone with no bias. My scenario is this; I'm currently enlisted in the U.S. Army National Guard, and I've been enlisted since April of 2008. When I first joined, the military was more of a last resort than it was a preferable choice (I dropped out of high school and got my GED in order to attend OSUT training), and since then my view on the whole thing has changed. After experiencing OSUT and going through it, I've come to enjoy the training and everything involved, and I've decided I want to go Active Duty and make this a career. My only issue is this; I'm under contract with the National Guard through the year 2014, and I've never had any active duty time before this enlistment, obviously. I was told that it was HIGHLY improbable that I could make a transfer to active duty of ANY branch due to the fact that it would require a conditional release form (DD Form 368?) from my current unit, and they've said themselves that unless I have some major pull, it's not possible. It's looking like it's come down to a "It's not what you know, it's who you know" type of scenario, and if that's the case, I truly am screwed, for lack of a better word. My relative is a retired Master Chief of the Navy, but that's about the extent of my military contacts outside of my unit. The only way I was told I'd be able to receive a release form, outside of just knowing someone with some major pull, would be to jump through some major hoops which involve things like applying for/being accepted to receive welfare of some type. This isn't something that's in my realm of possibilities because this isn't as much of a financial thing as it is purely a strong desire of mine. I want to do my part and it's something I'm truly set on accomplishing, which is why I refuse to accept that I have to wait until 2014 to do so. I have a biological child on the way, so financially it would be an upgrade to make the transfer, but that's not the main reason I'm looking to do this. And at this point, I would take just about any branch that would get me into Active Duty. I've got a 124 GT score and my current MOS in the Guard is a Combat Arms MOS, and even an MOS change wouldn't stop me if it was required to go Active Duty. So what I'm asking is, does anyone know ANY way at all I would be able to pull this off? It's something I'm trying all I can to make happen, and any input at all is welcome and GREATLY appreciated.

Also, as a side note, sorry for the wall of text. I'm just really searching for a solution to this problem, and I care for it strongly. Again, thanks for any replies.

If you haven`t done so, speak with recruiters. If it`s at all possible, they should be able to help you. I know it`s a common response to many questions, but it`s the logical place to begin. Good luck in your quest.

Back