Current American Recon Plane - Page 2

View Poll Results :What do you think the current US Recon plane looks like?
Flying Wing 3 17.65%
Standard Shape 3 17.65%
Flying Saucer 1 5.88%
No Idea 3 17.65%
Something Else 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

--

October 18th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Speculation about the Aurora is probably futile, but whatever it is, it can almost certainly outrun the SR-71 and if they were smart they made it as stealthy as possible.
October 18th, 2004  
A Can of Man

The fastest is the SR-71. But the flying wing is inherantly VERY fast as well. I guess we won't know how fast it can go as it's probably top secret. But to achieve the SR-71's speeds, it was far from efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
Uh, HELLO?

The SR-71 is the fastest known Jet in World History. It's not a flying Wing.

I did some research and found that the SR-71 Could outfly a 30 caliber Rifle Bullet.
October 18th, 2004  
Grimnar

Its most likely that it is a modified F-117. The Aurora is too much "sci-fi" for me atm. Heard somewhere that the name "Aurora" ended up in a military budget paper.... hmmmm....
--
October 18th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Id say its probably along the lines of the SR71 desighn, with some modifications. Remember, they already said the Blackbird is out of service once.....
October 18th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
Uh, HELLO?

The SR-71 is the fastest known Jet in World History. It's not a flying Wing.

I did some research and found that the SR-71 Could outfly a 30 caliber Rifle Bullet.
Turns out the Air Speed record is held by something other than the SR-71.

Quote:
the world’s airplane speed record is held by William J. “Pete” Knight, who flew an X-15- 2A over Edwards Air Force Base at 4,535 mile or Mach 6.72—a record set on October 3, 1967
Considering how long ago that was, it would not be surprising if there were something in service today that is faster.
October 18th, 2004  
SHERMAN

oh, but the x15 had a rocket engine....
October 19th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

True but considering its age and the age of the SR71, wouldn't it stand to reason that there would be something faster out there?
October 19th, 2004  
The Other Guy

Okay, maybe so. Maybe not. I don't work for the air force, so I have no clue.
October 20th, 2004  
Mark Conley

well if i had to guess..its probably small..and very very slow. we all assume good reconnasense has to be fast to get out of trouble..i disagree. you have to be fast if your looking for trouble though.

but a small aircraft say about six' by six' is just right for thos non-invasive type snoops..at less than half the cost of a bomb.

btw a model aircraft flew the atlantic a model aircraft lol

October 21st, 2004  
Animal Mother

UAV's and satelites anyone?