A cult of death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insight said:
The moral of the story: By following the military cult of death's suggestions, we have become such poor caretakers of the tree of liberty that it has wilted and is sagging dangerously close to the ground.

By following your suggestions there would be no tree. It would have been chopped down a long time ago by someone like Hitler.

``The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.''

---Thomas Jefferson

I find it almost impossible to believe that a military man could come up with such drivel.

Cult/schmult......... A BROTHERHOOD OF DEATH and VIOLENCE maybe.....

Having been one of those who were called upon to fight in a war that I really didn't want to partake in, I really resent statements that cheapen the sacrifices that were made by so many young men.

High blown discussions should have a modicum of rational reason - this one doesn't meet that criteria as far as I can see. What it does is insult any warrior who gave his life that others might live and our democratic way of life might flourish.

Insight said:
If, today, the urge of the military cult of death's war-soul can prompt it to encourage people to leave their spouses, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism, and become detestable televangelists

Wait, let me get this straight. You just said that the American armed forces cause their members to kill their own children an practice witchcraft?

Insight said:
Looking at it on the bright side, the military cult of death's "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude is lawless, because it leaves no room for compromise.

I would like you to explain to me how laws leave room for compromise. I was under the impression that laws are supposed to leave no room for compromise. Maybe you have a different view of laws than I do, but when I go out to create a law against theft, I don't go out to create compromises with thieves.

But then again, maybe it's the millitary death cult that's controlling me.

Chief Bones said:
High blown discussions should have a modicum of rational reason

I disagree,

It's quite obvious that illogic + big words = truth

Last edited by a moderator:
Insight has been banned for two days; using $5 words does not give you free license to insult other members.

Whispering Death, do not make back-to-back posts.

Thank you for defending me Maypoint. I did not have time to get to the boards today on my lunch break to answer this post.

The only part I did not understand about any of your post was mainly the huge words you were throwing out. Heck I even had to look some of them up to be sure of what they meant. Some of them seemed (to me) to be used in the wrong context with what you were trying to say.

What I'm asking this fine group of professionals to do is to examine the organzation that they are in and grasp the fundamental nature of what we do.

The "fundamental nature" of what I do is serve my country and countrymen against any and all peoples that would wish to harm them or change their way of life. Maybe you do not see it that way. That is why we all have an individual brain and indivual morals and values. We look at things from different viewpoints and take our cues from there.

America as well as other countries have had, and still have, men and women die to protect the values they feel are right for themselves and their countrymen. I may not agree with the conflicts, but I can not dispute the fact that the person believed in it enough to give their life.

Douglas MacArthur said it best when he said: "The soldier above all prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

The military cult of death likes to surround itself with concepts about how the members of its army of morbid, unsophisticated marauders are ideologically diverse.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I have been exposed to more differing views and culture in the 3+ years I have been in the Marine Corps than in the 27 years preceding it. I am sure the same can be said of most, if not all, members in the American military. In my platoon alone we have people from Colombia, Puerto Rico, Texas, Georgia, some folks from the New England states as well as the Midwest. I have also served with a gentleman from Africa, a lady from Brazil, and a gentleman from Nicaragua. Mexican, Italian, Armenian, Egyptian etc. I have seen all of these people from different countries and nationalities and cultures, serve in the military. So when you state the above I have to say you don't really know what you are talking about. Everyone, civilian and military alike have their own opinions and views.

You have parroted back the standard text given to any military recruit. I'm not saying it's false. I'm asking you to examine it from a new angle. I'm attempting to prompt a discussion that forces us all to weigh the different values that drive us to do what we do.

I believe we all have thought long and hard about how we would feel about what we do. Everyone has been exposed to differing views by their peers, family members, media and society in general. Those that did not want to serve found ways to get out of serving their full enlistment, if they enlisted at all. Those that did not feel right about serving in the military, no longer serve, but are still proud to have served. Those that feel right with themselves and whatever powers that be, are probably still in the service or retired after many faithful years of serving.

Now maybe some of this is a bit exaggerated, but I think it's important to point out the extreme position in order to demonstrate that moderation is not really the most "moral" approach.

Exactly what viewpoint are you speaking of here? I read the text above it but could find nothing that states anything supporting moderation or extremes. Are you advocating pacifism, violence, or moderation?

Perhaps you are spending too much time complimenting yourself on being a "rough man" and not enough examining what it means in a society that values human life. Do you not grasp the inherent contradiction? To ignore it is to do a disservice to the society you claim to serve.

What contradiction is there? I value human life highly. But I value the life of my family and countrymen more so than the life of the person or persons that may try to harm them or their way of life. It is a matter of priorities to put it plainly.

Don't you do a disservice to your country if it sends you off to do a job and you let someone prevent you from doing that job for no other reason than that they consider you an abomination to God? All the money spent training you, paying you, feeding you etc. gone in the twitch of a finger on a trigger. Huge service to the opposing team I would say, huge disservice to the home team.

If you wish to promote pacifism please do so and quit with the rhetoric and comments directed at the military in general. I am not sure how far off the mark I am, but that seems to be what you are doing.

Last edited:
Whispering Death said:
Wait, let me get this straight. You just said that the American armed forces cause their members to kill their own children an practice witchcraft?

Hey what's so bad about witchcraft? It's like practising any other religion, as long as you're not hurting anyone.
:eek:fftopic:
Mod edit: Please stay on topic, as it is (not witchcraft).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I owe the members of this forum an apology. Having not been approached by a moderator to tell me why I was banned, I've been forced to speculate. As near as I can tell, this is probably the thread that resulted in my being banned.

I'm sorry that I ever started this thread. My initial impression of this forum was that it was a group of professionals who were willing to discuss and debate topics related to military service. Discussions of the role of the military professional are a staple of most military education cirruculae. Apparently that is not quite understood here, nor was the topic I presented. I do not ascribe to all the things I have discussed in this thread, but I took an opposing position in order to stimulate some spirited discussion. Instead it was obvious that the concept was a bit to complex and "edgy" for the members of this forum. My mistake and for that I will apologize. I'll try to keep it simple from here on out.

If I'm wrong about this being the reason for my banning, I'd love to hear from the mod in question. I'm guessing there's a good chance I won't at this point.

Redneck said:
Insight has been banned for two days; using $5 words does not give you free license to insult other members.
I guess an unsophisticated cretin like myself couldn't comprehend why you were banned, but Redneck does. How ironic.

Maytime said:
I guess an unsophisticated cretin like myself couldn't comprehend why you were banned, but Redneck does. How ironic.
Thank you for pointing that out. Having been banned, I didn't have the ability to search through the thread, nor did I know to scroll back through it in search of some clue before your post. I'm sure you are totally sincere in your comments, since sarcasm is a rule violation in this forum and would result in your getting banned like me. Redneck obviously understands why I was banned since he appears to be the one who pushed the button. The specific details, however, remain known to him alone. Having read the forum procedures, I just assumed that there would be some indication in the "hall of shame" regarding my misdeed, though I would have preferred a PM from a mod just as a matter of courtesy.

I'm still curious what "attacks" were made. Perhaps you could help me out with that as well. I don't believe I've attacked anyone, but have engaged in spirited debate on a sensitive topic. Perhaps I've stepped on some invisibile tripwires along the way.

Redneck's criticism of my "$5 words" strikes me as a personal attack, but it seems it's the newbies that get held to the tougher standards. That's fine, but a little bit of explanation wouldn't hurt either. For a forum that preaches respect, I've seen very little. But hey, I'll live.

Again, my apologies for breaching subjects that people don't want to confront or can't understand.

Last edited:
Eh, maybe saying the US Army causes servicemen to kill their own children might have something to do with it amoung many other things.

Whispering Death said:
Eh, maybe saying the US Army causes servicemen to kill their own children might have something to do with it amoung many other things.

I don't believe I ever said that. Please quote me. If you do so, please provide the appropriate context to the quote as well. There were several statements made in my longer post that were designed to illustrate a cogent point and were not an assertion of actual fact.

I'm somewhat offended that you would accuse me of saying such things. That's a really horrible statement.

You asked for an answer -

You were brought to task by the following:
Whispering Death said:
You responded:
Insight said:
I don't believe I ever said that. Please quote me. If you do so, please provide the appropriate context to the quote as well. There were several statements made in my longer post that were designed to illustrate a cogent point and were not an assertion of actual fact.
You asked for it - so here goes:
Insight said:
(January 23, 2006)
Not surprisingly, one thing that the military cult of death does well is leave us in the lurch. Whatever weight we accord to that fact, we may be confident that it believes that it is the ultimate authority on what's right and what's wrong. Sorry, but I have to call foul on that one. If, today, the urge of the military cult of death's war-soul can prompt it to encourage people to leave their spouses, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism, and become detestable televangelists, then imagine, if you can, how that same soul will express itself through the thousandfold-more-prurient the military cult of death of tomorrow.
Context or not, this kind of idiotic statement cause a real 'warrior's" hackles to rise just on general principles. Pointing out an alternate way of looking at a subject requires more than prurient statements designed to elicit a response.

It must have a little basis in fact before you can call it a discussion of alternate thinking.

Insight said:
I'm afraid I owe the members of this forum an apology. Having not been approached by a moderator to tell me why I was banned, I've been forced to speculate. As near as I can tell, this is probably the thread that resulted in my being banned.

I'm sorry that I ever started this thread. My initial impression of this forum was that it was a group of professionals who were willing to discuss and debate topics related to military service. Discussions of the role of the military professional are a staple of most military education cirruculae. Apparently that is not quite understood here, nor was the topic I presented. I do not ascribe to all the things I have discussed in this thread, but I took an opposing position in order to stimulate some spirited discussion. Instead it was obvious that the concept was a bit to complex and "edgy" for the members of this forum. My mistake and for that I will apologize. I'll try to keep it simple from here on out.

If I'm wrong about this being the reason for my banning, I'd love to hear from the mod in question. I'm guessing there's a good chance I won't at this point.

You were sent a message informing you of the reason for the ban when it occurred. Your personal attacks against other forum members, particularly the attacks based on the military service of those members, something which we hold in high regard on these forums, are why you were banned.

This concludes the pity party, if you have any questions, use the PM system.

-The Mod in Question

Redneck said:
You were sent a message informing you of the reason for the ban when it occurred. Your personal attacks against other forum members, particularly the attacks based on the military service of those members, something which we hold in high regard on these forums, are why you were banned.

This concludes the pity party, if you have any questions, use the PM system.

-The Mod in Question

Please resend then, because I never got it. I put this in the public forum just so people would judge for themselves whether it's a "pity party" or not. I'm just looking for explainations. I can't imagine how a PM could get "lost in the mail", but I guess it happens. Why would anyone lie about that, right? Request you include some details on the "personal attacks" I'm accused of. I don't seem to recall making any.

Does suggesting my previous posts were meant to solicit pity constitute such a personal attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back