CT's All in Advice Thread

crazytanker

So I just wanted to start this thread and have a general running list of advice from the Vets to the Rooks. Feel free to add your own, could be about military life in general, basic training, whatever floats your boat.

Basic Training
  • When you're in basic training, if you have a question, ASK! Your Drill Sergeants/Instructors are there to TEACH you.
  • Do NOT be a smarta$$ to your DS/I, or ranking officers. It will come back to bite you in the rear end.
  • Before hand, talk to veterans who were in your service branch, and MOS if you possibly can. Ask questions.
  • At least attempt to do some PT before hand - it'll help. The more you do before hand, the better off you'll be, as it won't be such a shell shock to you.
  • Talking while in formation is one sure fire way to really tick off your DS/I.
  • Your family, money, bank account, that doesn't do you any good here.

Everyday Military Life
  • Its stressful. Get used to it, learn how to deal with it.
  • Officers know everything, get used to it. Even if you clearly know whats going on, Officers still know everything.
  • Mouthing off to your First Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Officers is a bad idea (just like in basic).
  • Do your bleeping job, do it right, go home. It's really that simple.
Y'all feel free to add your own, or amend mine if you want. I'll try to edit it into the original post as it comes up.

I don't think setting an adversarial tone for the relationship between officers and enlisted is very productive. Understanding their respective roles is a lot more productive all the way around. As long as the Os stay in their lane and the NCOs stay in theirs all will be fine. Ultimately, both sides need to present a unified front...almost like parents...in order to ensure the soldiers are being trained, supervised, and mentored properly.

For the cherries, 90% of your success as a private is going to come from you being at the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform...if you can manage that, your leadership will take it from there and things will be much easier. You can gripe, at your own peril. The less experience you have, the more your leaders...and peers, are going to be disinterested in your griping.

Don't be "that guy"...you know, the one that is always last to get up, or the one who falls out all the time, the one who takes the longest to shower/shave/eat/clean/dress/police up/ etc....if you don't think you have a "that guy" then you are probably fulfilling that role yourself. It really isn't that hard...but you would be surprised.

Last edited:
No no I'm only meaning that sometimes you get a higher ranked NCO or Officer who once they have it set in their minds that this our the best way, there's no use arguing worth them.

No no I'm only meaning that sometimes you get a higher ranked NCO or Officer who once they have it set in their minds that this our the best way, there's no use arguing worth them.

Agreed, at the same time, sometimes that is what it takes to get everyone moving in the right direction. There is a time for counsel and time for action...once counsel has been taken and action decided, execution is the only thing that is next as long as it is legal, moral, and ethical. We are professionals after all...

No matter what rank or branch you are, do not get on the wrong side of that Military Police patrol! They have the power and lack of sympathy to make your already bad day a whole lot worse!!! ;)

One thing I wanted to add about "that guy" is that first of all there's one in every platoon. Secondly he's the most hated person in the platoon, not only by the recruits but the Drill Sergeants too. For us it goes beyond the basics of moving on to the next thing. So we have a stronger desire to make that soldier stronger..

Last edited:
It´s a good idea.
But it is difficult to give more than general advice since there´s a huge difference between our military cultures.

So I just wanted to start this thread and have a general running list of advice from the Vets to the Rooks. Feel free to add your own, could be about military life in general, basic training, whatever floats your boat.

Basic Training
  • When you're in basic training, if you have a question, ASK! Your Drill Sergeants/Instructors are there to TEACH you.
  • Do NOT be a smarta$$ to your DS/I, or ranking officers. It will come back to bite you in the rear end.
  • Before hand, talk to veterans who were in your service branch, and MOS if you possibly can. Ask questions.
  • At least attempt to do some PT before hand - it'll help. The more you do before hand, the better off you'll be, as it won't be such a shell shock to you.
  • Talking while in formation is one sure fire way to really tick off your DS/I.
  • Your family, money, bank account, that doesn't do you any good here.

Everyday Military Life
  • Its stressful. Get used to it, learn how to deal with it.
  • Officers know everything, get used to it. Even if you clearly know whats going on, Officers still know everything.
  • Mouthing off to your First Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Officers is a bad idea (just like in basic).
  • Do your bleeping job, do it right, go home. It's really that simple.
Y'all feel free to add your own, or amend mine if you want. I'll try to edit it into the original post as it comes up.

You tell them CT get ready by doing PT, man that will save them some woes. Particularly some running and pushups. And leave that smart assed attitude at the door.

Like I said, if you've got time for all of that you ain't working hard enough.

Recruits: baby wipes are your friends. Stick a pack into your sack, and you've got a quick shower. No one wants to smell your nasty self.

Like I said, if you've got time for all of that you ain't working hard enough.

Recruits: baby wipes are your friends. Stick a pack into your sack, and you've got a quick shower. No one wants to smell your nasty self.

Snow works too. It's fun to be a winter soldier.....I did something funny during my basic training. I said something offensive to a Major. Me and another solider in the basic squad had been spending the night under a spruce tree. It was cold as polar bears axx, and it was quite comfortable under the tree. I told him "go fxxk yourself" when he ordered us out from there. Fortunately he had a sense of humor.

Snow works too. It's fun to be a winter soldier.....I did something funny during my basic training. I said something offensive to a Major. Me and another solider in the basic squad had been spending the night under a spruce tree. It was cold as polar bears axx, and it was quite comfortable under the tree. I told him "go fxxk yourself" when he ordered us out from there. Fortunately he had a sense of humor.

I told a Colonel once that if he thought he could do better than what I was already doing to get his a$$ over here and show me how, otherwise to shut the bleep up and get the bleep out of my face. His jaw hit the floor, the First Sergeant told him he might want to pick his teeth up off the ground. He didn't say another word about it and moved onto the next sucker who got it worse, I'm sure.

It was actually an infantry PTI before I joined RMP. :p

I see, you needed legal reasons to do unspeakable things to the innocent, poor soldiers.....and when the need for the MP occurred, they couldn't be found.

In Sweden, the Military Police is/was responsible for the handling of POWs, the interrogators and such belonged to the MP. Is/was that the same in the UK?

I told a Colonel once that if he thought he could do better than what I was already doing to get his a$$ over here and show me how, otherwise to shut the bleep up and get the bleep out of my face. His jaw hit the floor, the First Sergeant told him he might want to pick his teeth up off the ground. He didn't say another word about it and moved onto the next sucker who got it worse, I'm sure.

I was told by the DI to watch the equipment while the platoon went to chow. Then the 1st one out would relive me and I would have about 5 minutes to each lunch. I said to him "What are you talking about (in a very sassy tone)". Well that didn't work so well. I spent some late evening cleaning thru the night and did some extra PT. Didn't get much sleep for a short bit.

Back