Crud... quick q again

--

January 21st, 2005  
Caveman6620

Topic: Crud... quick q again

I was just told about "Safs" (Service Rifle Small Arms Firing Schools) earlier this week, and I wanted to do it to earn my rifle team ribbon... but I read this on the paper: "All Applicants must have previous experience and familiarity with firearms. This course is nOT for persons who have never handled firearms"

I have never shot off a gun. I figured I'd learn here... what can i do?
January 21st, 2005  
rotc boy

how important is it for you to get this ribbon?
i would recomend waiting a little bit until you have had experience shooting because it's not like you can pick a gun up first time and shoot good enough to get the ribbon, i would recomend going to a rifle range and learning to shoot then taking the course
January 21st, 2005  
c/Commander

First, see if anyone in your unit owns an M-16 rifle or an M-9 pistol (also known as the Colt AR-15 and the Beretta M92F respectively). See if they can give you a little instruction (preferably their parents, obviously ). If not, see if your CO can get you into a few weapons familiarization courses or something. If all else fails, try to go anyway. Good luck!
--
January 21st, 2005  
Caveman6620

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotc boy
how important is it for you to get this ribbon?
i would recomend waiting a little bit until you have had experience shooting because it's not like you can pick a gun up first time and shoot good enough to get the ribbon, i would recomend going to a rifle range and learning to shoot then taking the course
they told me you get the ribbon for completing it... I wonder where there is a rifle range around here..
January 21st, 2005  
rotc boy

what state do you live in?
January 21st, 2005  
Caveman6620

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotc boy
what state do you live in?
NY... but it wasnt my NSI or CO or XO who told me.. just another person who was signing up... quess I should ask them