THe CRUCIBLE.... T-T

drunkentyger

I keep hearing about this Crucible task on Week 8.... I talked to some ppl about it and found out that..:

1) you get a total of 8 hours of sleep during the 54 hour hell.

2) only 2 1/2 MRE?

3) Its too damn hard.

Well, a major problem for me is the sleep factor. How did u all Marines survive the Crucible? ANy tips?

I didn't there was no crucible when I went thru recuirt training many moons ago.
The thing that will see you thru however is your desire to become a Marine.

The Crucible and Marine Combat Training (MCT) were devloped in the 80'S to bring the Marine Corps back to a warrior force status. Since the 70's the only warrior training Marines who didn't go into Combat Arms recieved was what they were given at recuirt training RFTD. Those Marines not in combat arms (Infantry, Artillery, Armor,and Combat Engineers) went to whatever school for their MOS.
Infantry (me) went to ITR (YEAH I KNOW I'M OLD ) .

hm... so what are the chances of a 18 year old going to Camp Peddleton (San Diego, CA) with a MOS of Automotive Techincian around Janurary or Freburary, *deep breath* having to go through The Crucible?

Okay read it again. The crucible was instituted in the 80'S 89 or 90 I believe, Along with MCT. You wanna be a Marine now. You do the crucible and MCT.Regardless of MOS.

Once again all this will do is make yo realize what you can and cannot do. It is a test nothing more .... Nothing less. You are the only one who can make yourself succeed. Do not listen to all of this BS about it being the hell that all your friends tell you it is. This is the culmination of boot camp. you will have all of the tools if you payed attention.

The Crucible is all mental. Really, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be and niether is MCT. MCT is the cheapest version of ITB i've ever seen(my boy went through ITB and than MCT).

The Crucible is really there to install team work and it's only annoying cause you're doing all this crap really early in the morning and you can't think straight.

03USMC said:
Okay read it again. The crucible was instituted in the 80'S 89 or 90 I believe, Along with MCT. You wanna be a Marine now. You do the crucible and MCT.Regardless of MOS.

"Third Phase" in our time. Hump Mount Mother and B&7&tch Ridge, sleep under a poncho for a few hours, hit the combat courses, night fire. It is more integrated, but close to what we did....

hello, this is my first post and i just got out of boot and still on RA. look, i just went through the crucible a couple weeks ago and it really wasnt that bad. dont get me wrong its hella hard and demands its respect. the sleep issue, something about sleeping 4hrs and then waking, you get through all your sleep cycle and when i woke up i was fully awake and rearing to go. well for the first half of the day anyways. then you eat some chow to get you trhough the rest. all you have to do is stay motivated and youll be fine, yeah youll get tired but knowing that you only have....1 day left or whatever it is helps. i didnt really have any problems on the crucible but there are those that struggle and those are the ones that we learn team work w/, Marines never leave a man behind so even if your dead tired you drag them out. the worst part was when we got a casualty, carrying dead weight sucks. and its also not cool to thinkn that someone in your PLT just died even knowing there pretending, you think that it can happen as easily as a drill instructor pointing and saying you died. they only make casualties when the person would have died.

now by the time you get to the crucible you are almost done, its new, now we have 2 weeks left and about 3 tests right after (BN inspect, Prac App., 171 written). all are pretty easy and you dont claim the title until you pass them all.

i can think of one thing that was harder then the crucible...even though it was just to get us into shape for the crucible....scuzzbrush 500. pretty much you go back and forth across the squad bay w/ a scuzzbrush until the DI gets tired. its intense but it also builds teamwork.

well if you have any Q's about boot camp email me at Milidar@gmail.com i just got out and i have until monday being home, after that is MCT and then i head to pensacola where i will have my comp again and i will be able to answer Q's about MCT.

Back