Cross-Canada Tour - 2015

--
Boots

October 7th, 2014  
hawky94

Topic: Cross-Canada Tour - 2015

Hi all,

I'm back! (Again). I have been a busy bee this past Summer, and the last time since I was on here.

Well, not much has changed. I'm still planning on cycling across the country! But that expedition will have to wait until next year. This Summer, has been spent meeting people, training, and gearing up for next year's adventure.

My blog for the journey can be found here: http://jackonabike.ca/. I'll be posting miscellaneous articles, gear reviews, interviews with fellow riders that I'll meet on the road, and of course, keeping a trip journal to update all you wonderful people!

A lot has happened this summer. I've been meeting so many weird and wonderful folks. I wrote this article about it. Attached are a few photos from a summer of meets and acquisitions!

At present, I'm looking at a very slim budget for my trip, and have since decided to turn to some crowdfunding for help. If any one of you would be interested in helping me out with some funds, feel free to send me a PM and we can take it from there.

The goal of this trip - aside from having an adventure and truly seeing Canada, is to become something of a travel writer. There will probably be a book of some sort, and I'll be posting regular updates from the road, both written blog posts and probably short video clips as I hope to take along my Dad's old GoPro.

So, that's me all caught up with the rest of you. What on earth have you all been up to?

Till next time,

Hawky.
October 7th, 2014  
JOC

Topic: Northern Ontario

I've flown into northern Ontario. Albany River, James bay lowlands. Simply spectacular unspoiled wilderness, lakes and rivers everywhere. Some of the largest forest in the world. Ontario is great for the adventurer.
October 7th, 2014  
I3BrigPvSk

I lived in Thunder Bay, ON. for a few years. Get out to the sleeping giant island if you pass by there. The people around Thunder Bay view fishing as a religion. The Canadian beer is absolutely fantastic (not the mainstream brands) Try the local micro-brewery's beer (it is called the Sleeping Giant brewery and it has three different kinds of beer)
--
Boots
October 8th, 2014  
Sara

Hi Hawky,

It's good to hear from you, you sound so happy. It sounds like you're having the time of your life. What an adventure, riding a bike across Canada. I've seen photos and heard that it's a beautiful place to live so this will be something for you to keep forever.

I hope you're careful out there and remember.. let them wimins find you... not the other way around.
October 8th, 2014  
dadsgirl

Hawky94, haven't formally met you yet, so how do you do! Canada can be beautiful, yes. Been there more than several times. By the way, like your signature!

Dadsgirl
October 8th, 2014  
hawky94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsgirl
Hawky94, haven't formally met you yet, so how do you do! Canada can be beautiful, yes. Been there more than several times. By the way, like your signature!

Dadsgirl
Hi Dadsgirl,

I've been absent on the Forum for a very long time, as I have been focusing on other pursuits (evidently). Nice to meet you too!

I have only ever been to Ontario from New Brunswick - and that was by car. Somehow, I think that next year's expedition will open my eyes to a lot more. And I'll feel a much greater sense of accomplishment!

The only way to explore the contours of a country is from the seat of a bicycle.
October 8th, 2014  
I3BrigPvSk

Northwest territories is nice to visit, There is a highway from Vancouver to Yellowknife, I think.
October 8th, 2014  
hawky94

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
Northwest territories is nice to visit, There is a highway from Vancouver to Yellowknife, I think.
I'll head up that way if it's not too f*cking cold!
October 8th, 2014  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawky94
I'll head up that way if it's not too f*cking cold!
Canada Goose or whatever the brand name is will solve that problem. Watch out for the bears though. The summer up there is pretty nice, the mosquitoes might be an annoying issue. There is a nice delta just outside Inuvik which is even further north. You will see the the eternal light during the summer, the midnight sun is a nice thing to see.
October 8th, 2014  
The Highway Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
Us Highways are everywhere!