Creedmoor

I3BrigPvSk

The Viking
Hunters and sport shooters here are appreciating the 6.5 Creedmoor, mainly because a lot of shooters here, myself included have an experience with the Swedish Mauser caliber 6.5x55 and the 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be pretty close to it. Do the shooter community here also appreciating the 6.5 Creedmoor?

It seems the US military is adopting this "new" caliber. I'm on thin ice here when I base that on YouTube videos and I don't trust them.

Hunters and sport shooters here are appreciating the 6.5 Creedmoor, mainly because a lot of shooters here, myself included have an experience with the Swedish Mauser caliber 6.5x55 and the 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be pretty close to it. Do the shooter community here also appreciating the 6.5 Creedmoor?

It seems the US military is adopting this "new" caliber. I'm on thin ice here when I base that on YouTube videos and I don't trust them.

I am aware of the 6.5 x 55 as a very accurate cartridge, I have however never heard of the 6.5 Creedmore.

There is a 6mm Musgrave, only made in South Africa, its a British 303 rimmed necked down to 6 mm for use in a Lee Enfield action. Although I sold quite a few rounds I've never used one.

Then there is the .243 which is basically a 308/7.62 necked down to 6mm, its mainly used by women and youths as the recoil is very light. It does however, ruin the meat of a Springbox or Impala, the meat is so blood shot, its only fit as dog meat.

Last edited:
I am aware of the 6.5 x 55 as a very accurate cartridge, I have however never heard of the 6.5 Creedmore.

There is a 6mm Musgrave, only made in South Africa, its a British 303 rimmed necked down to 6 mm for use in a Lee Enfield action. Although I sold quite a few rounds I've never used one.

Then there is the .243 which is basically a 308/7.62 necked down to 6mm, its mainly used by women and youths as the recoil is very light. It does however, ruin the meat of a Springbox or Impala, the meat is so blood shot, its only fit as dog meat.

The US military seems to have been looking for a caliber between 5.56 and 7.62 for awhile, but I doubt they will replace the 5.56 with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Their special forces may change to the 6.5, there are other calibers too, the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC (special purpose cartridge) The 6.5 Creedmoor is a popular hunting caliber here and I guess a lot of Swedes like it because it is close to the old 6.5x55

The US military seems to have been looking for a caliber between 5.56 and 7.62 for awhile, but I doubt they will replace the 5.56 with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Their special forces may change to the 6.5, there are other calibers too, the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC (special purpose cartridge) The 6.5 Creedmoor is a popular hunting caliber here and I guess a lot of Swedes like it because it is close to the old 6.5x55

The 243 in my opinion would make a good military round, as I said its based on the 7.62, has a bullet weight of 100 grains and MV of around 2800 FPS at the muzzle, which is far superior to the 5.56 SS109.

Theres another 6mm round I forgot to mention, an experiment was made necking up a .223/5.56 to 6mm. Its a good Springbok round at very close range with little or no recoil and doesn't blood shoot the meat.

My girlfriend shot a Maine moose this fall with mine. 1 hot kill through the heart. It took about 3 steps and dropped. Browning X Bolt with 4x16 Vortex scope set on 4X. No recoil , she is about 100 lbs and a former US Army WAC, btw.

143 gr Hornaday ELD-X ammo. Yes, I think the 6.5 Creedmore would be an awesome military round with a 129 grain boattail FMJ at 3,000 fps. Still packs a big punch at 1,000 yards/meters, better than 7.62 NATO.

143 gr Hornaday ELD-X ammo. Yes, I think the 6.5 Creedmore would be an awesome military round with a 129 grain boattail FMJ at 3,000 fps. Still packs a big punch at 1,000 yards/meters, better than 7.62 NATO.

I haven't seen any assault rifle chambered with 6.5 Creedmoor yet, it's supposed to be a SAW chambered for it. I heard the CEO for Barrett Firearms talking about making an assault rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Then there is the .243 which is basically a 308/7.62 necked down to 6mm, its mainly used by women and youths as the recoil is very light.
In the States a lot of guys use the .243. Don't know if just general pussification of guys, or if it's from hearing about Uncle Joe being blown into the pond when he shot his 10 gauge shotgun, or if idiots had them fire a 30-06 or 45-70 back when they were too small to handle one.

In the States a lot of guys use the .243. Don't know if just general pussification of guys, or if it's from hearing about Uncle Joe being blown into the pond when he shot his 10 gauge shotgun, or if idiots had them fire a 30-06 or 45-70 back when they were too small to handle one.

I must admit that I am not a fan of recoil, these days all I an really manage is a British 303 caliber rifle. I did once own a 300 winmag which was basically a 30 caliber bullet with a bucket behind it. A nasty round I didn''t like is the 7.62x39 fired in an AK 47, I found it to be a bit of a spiteful round.

Back