cracked flash hider

gnlvr

I would like to ask someone if the flash hider being cracked on my fr8 will affect accuracy,or do damage. Thanks

I am not familiar with the weapon, but i can't see that a cracked flash hider should make a great difference to the accuracy of the weapon. If I were using it for Olympic competition, I would have it replaced, but for all other use , NO.

I would however keep an eye on the crack to ensure that it is not getting worse, and I would replace it at the first available opportunity, but merely for cosmetic and possible safety reasons.

I lost the flash hider off an SMLE No5 Mk1 Jungle carbine years ago and was unable to get another. I bodgied one up on the lathe and welded a sight base to it as it is also part of the front sight. It happened at night and we had driven several miles before I realised it was gone, (on my next shot) we went back and looked but could not find it.

Last edited:
I've not 100% sure but on the FR8 you shouldn't have an issue. The FR8 mauser is a tough little rifle. The flash hider doesn't some in contact with the round so it will not affect accuracy.

Here is a tip for accuracy check the crown, at the end of the barrel, if it is not perfect they it will throw your accuracy off. Any good gunsmith on the planet should be able to recrown you weapon. I have seen Mausers with crappy rifling get re-crownded and be extremely accurate.

As far as the flash hider being cracked I would replace it or remove it. This gives you a good excuse to get a barrel compensator for it that will reduce recoil abit and keep the barrel from jumping so much for a follow up shot (yes I know it's a bolt action) still a compensator might make the rifle look better and be more fun to shoot.

Have a great day.

Nice rifle.

I've just gotta ask, I've been thinking about it for two hours, "how in blue blazes do you crack a flash hider"?

Never seen it happen, ever. But then again my history with firearms is far shorter than that of many other members here.

I really appreciate the feedback, I didn't notice that it was cracked for a while. I was cleaning the rifle and unscrewed the flash when I saw that it was cracked right on the end close to where the wrench fits. The crack doesn't extend any farther down. Again thanks for the info.

I've just gotta ask, I've been thinking about it for two hours, "how in blue blazes do you crack a flash hider"?

Now now, Iwm disappointed...Donwt you know If they can make someone outthere can break it?

When you see a tank dislocate its turret from the hull, you understand that:)

In my mind, a flash hider is not something that should normally be removed and replaced in normal use and cleaning. Without seing the crack, I would hazard a guess and say that it was caused by some ham fisted previous owner trying to remove it, using something like a soft jawed pipe wrench or a "C" spanner.

Do Numrich Arms still operate in Orange NJ? They were my favourite source of unusual military parts 35 years ago. :smile:

Now now, I'm disappointed...Don't you know If they can make someone outthere can break it?
Tell me about it :smile: I'm a past master. Hopefully as i've got older, I've learned that "The quick fix is often the expensive fix"

When you see a tank dislocate its turret from the hull, you understand that:)
I've never seen it, but I think the report would make very interesting reading.

Last edited:
I've never seen it, but I think the report would make very interesting reading.

Not really, because the report basically said "don't jump 12 feet off a ramp with a tank doing 40 Km/h". Oh and it also said "Stop being destructive idiots!"...:)
What was intresting, for me as a Private, was a very pale-faced Colonel saying that he had never, in 20 years of service, seen anything like it. What was even more intresting was a tank commander looking like he had an encounter with a proffesional boxer(Black eye, a couple of cracked ribs, and a very unhappy look:) )

I hate to ask this was it a crack or a scratch? A few years ago I had to fly to Hawaii to look at a scratch on a diesel engine crank shaft.

I tend to agree with you , or someone dropped it or somesuch.
Dropped!!! I seriously doubt it.

FH1converted.jpg

Personally, I would be hard pressed to think of a way to deliberately break such an item. To me it looks suspiciously like a piece of forged steel that has been turned and milled. If so, I would say you could drop it from 40,000 feet and the worst that would happen was that it would get full of dirt, you might bend the barrel and smash the woodwork, but I would say without the slightest hesitation that your flash hider has been brutalised, by an inept "butcher" of firearms.

Last edited:
Back