Cowboys fall short on Romo's mistake

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

TIM BOOTH

Associated Press

SEATTLE - Tony Romo saved the season for the Dallas Cowboys - and his gaffe ended it. The Pro Bowl quarterback mishandled the snap on a 19-yard field goal in the closing moments of Dallas' 21-20 NFC wild-card loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday night.
Later, he was disconsolate and fought back tears while trying to explain how he dropped the snap on Martin Gramatica's FG attempt, not even the length of an extra point.
"I take responsibility for messing up at the end there. That's my fault, and I cost the Dallas Cowboys a playoff win," Romo said. "It's going to sit with me a long time."
Coach Bill Parcells couldn't remember another time this season when Dallas mishandled a snap, either in practice or a game. But there Romo was, muffing the snap from center as the Cowboys lined up for the kick with 1:19 left.
Parcells didn't see the placement, only catching a glimpse of his quarterback frantically sprinting for a first down, only to be tripped up a yard short.
"You know people drop balls, people miss kicks, it just happens," Gramatica said. "He did so much for the team."
After a desperation pass was batted to the turf on the final play, the stunned Romo walked off the field, alone and with his eyes staring at the field below.
"I don't think I've ever felt this low at any point," Romo said.
The Cowboys were in position to knock off the defending NFC champs on their home field behind a suddenly stingy defense and a jolt from their special teams.
Instead, Dallas is left to wonder about its second wacky loss on a field-goal attempt this season. Consolation from owner Jerry Jones meant little to Romo.
"Bottom line is we have an experienced holder - one that's handled the ball all night long. It just happens," Jones said. "I didn't know it happens as vividly as I know it does now."
Romo had been sufficient but not stellar in his first playoff start. He didn't turn the ball over and completed 17 of 29 passes for 189 yards and a 13-yard touchdown to Patrick Crayton in the closing moments of the first half.
He displayed the talent that helped revive the Cowboys' season on their final drive. Trailing 21-20 with 4:24 left, Romo led Dallas 70 yards. He completed passes to Crayton, Terrell Owens and Jason Witten, sprinkled around slashing runs from Julius Jones and Marion Barber.
All Romo had to do was cleanly place the snap. Instead, he was cut down by a shoestring tackle from Jordan Babineaux and engulfed by an exuberant Seahawks home crowd.
Satisfaction from a road playoff victory was suddenly replaced by painful shock.
"You've got to finish the games and we just didn't do that," Parcells said. "They gave me all the effort that I could have asked for."
The Cowboys also experienced a wacky loss in Week 9 of the regular season at Washington. Then-kicker Mike Vanderjagt was lining up for a 35-yarder with 6 seconds left. But Marc Colombo missed a block and Troy Vincent blocked the attempt.
The ball bounced around until Sean Taylor picked it up and made a weaving, tackle-busting return into Dallas territory as time expired. Dallas' Kyle Kosier was flagged for a facemask penalty on the return, tacking on another 15 yards - and meaning regulation would continue for one more play.
Nick Novak then made a 47-yarder for a 22-19 Washington win.
Saturday night may have topped that.
Leading 20-13, and having just stopped Seattle at the Cowboys' 2, Terry Glenn fumbled a quick throw from Romo. The ball bounced around in the end zone and was eventually ruled a safety after a replay review.
The Seahawks then took a 21-20 lead on Jerramy Stevens' 37-yard touchdown reception from Matt Hasselbeck, the first big play allowed by Dallas' suspect defense all night.
Undeterred, the Cowboys gave themselves a final chance, only to have Romo's mistake cost them a chance at playing either New Orleans or Chicago next week.
"My only advice to him, is through this adversity, it can only make you stronger," Owens said. "Once we get back up in the saddle, he'll seize the moment next time."

Back