COVID-19 - Page 5




 
--
COVID-19
 
July 30th, 2020  
BritinAfrica
 
 
COVID-19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg
I'm really glad to hear that it wasn't COVID-19, and that you're ok now!
Thanks Redleg, I'm glad too

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
The sale of alcohol increased here during the outbreak. We can see an increase of reported cases of domestic violence.

It seems we have the beginning of the second wave when there is a spike of COVID-19 in Europe and elsewhere.
According to the news, we too are heading for a new wave of the virus, we can only do what we can to stay safe.

What happened after the implementation of the 18th Amendment, the rise of the mafia in the US. Here in SA, gangs are already smuggling cigarettes and booze with the result of quite a bit of violence between gangs. It seems that my earlier post regarding a drop in crime was out of date.

There's an old saying, ""If you want to know the future, look to the past""
July 31st, 2020  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Thanks Redleg, I'm glad too



According to the news, we too are heading for a new wave of the virus, we can only do what we can to stay safe.

What happened after the implementation of the 18th Amendment, the rise of the mafia in the US. Here in SA, gangs are already smuggling cigarettes and booze with the result of quite a bit of violence between gangs. It seems that my earlier post regarding a drop in crime was out of date.

There's an old saying, ""If you want to know the future, look to the past""
SA is famous for the wine, how does that go with a prohibition? The prohibition in the US was quite interesting. I imagine the US contain more Americans born elsewhere back then and trying to force the Irish, the Germans, the Italians and many others to quit drinking.....good luck with that.

I think Sweden will handle the second wave quite good when we screwed up everything in the beginning. We aren't allowed to go anywhere (they begin to change it now)
July 31st, 2020  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
SA is famous for the wine, how does that go with a prohibition? The prohibition in the US was quite interesting. I imagine the US contain more Americans born elsewhere back then and trying to force the Irish, the Germans, the Italians and many others to quit drinking.....good luck with that.

I think Sweden will handle the second wave quite good when we screwed up everything in the beginning. We aren't allowed to go anywhere (they begin to change it now)
As far as I am aware all SA wine and spirits are for export only. I live in the wine and spirit region of SA, some of our local wines were quite good. A friend of mine owned a distillery, a few years ago he blended a special brandy for me after doing him a favour, it was like nectar. Needless to say it didn't last long.
--
COVID-19
July 31st, 2020  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
As far as I am aware all SA wine and spirits are for export only. I live in the wine and spirit region of SA, some of our local wines were quite goo. A friend of mine owned a distillery, a few years ago he blended a special brandy for me after doing him a favour, it was like nectar. Needless to say it didn't last long.
I'm not a huge wine drinker, I prefer beer and whisky, but my stomach doesn't like whisky. I associate SA with white wine and some of them are really good. I can drink it to fish dishes. What kind of spirits are they producing in SA?
August 1st, 2020  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
I'm not a huge wine drinker, I prefer beer and whisky, but my stomach doesn't like whisky.
Only whisky I can drink is a Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
I associate SA with white wine and some of them are really good. I can drink it to fish dishes. What kind of spirits are they producing in SA?
SA white wine is very good especially the Stellenbosch labels, I cannot get on with red, it gives me a massive headache.

Brandy is the main spirit distilled in SA, the main one is klipdrift, but its not a patch on German Asbach brandy. Here brandy is usually drank with coke (sacrilege) and ice (more sacrilege). The Boers havent got the finesse to drink it how it should be drunk
August 1st, 2020  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Only whisky I can drink is a Bourbon



SA white wine is very good especially the Stellenbosch labels, I cannot get on with red, it gives me a massive headache.

Brandy is the main spirit distilled in SA, the main one is klipdrift, but its not a patch on German Asbach brandy. Here brandy is usually drank with coke (sacrilege) and ice (more sacrilege). The Boers havent got the finesse to drink it how it should be drunk
I watched the Wine Show last night. A show on our food channel and they were exploring wines from SA. They were tasting a wine from the late 18th century, a sweet white wine.

I can drink red wines, but they give me a severe hungover. Beer is much better, how's the SA beer?
August 2nd, 2020  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
I watched the Wine Show last night. A show on our food channel and they were exploring wines from SA. They were tasting a wine from the late 18th century, a sweet white wine.
I quite like the dry white wines, sweet is far too sweet for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
I can drink red wines, but they give me a severe hungover. Beer is much better, how's the SA beer?
The beer brewed here are:-

Castle Lager. ...
Castle Lite. ...
Castle Milk Stout. ...
Hansa. ...
Carling Black Label. ...
Miller Genuine Draft. ...
Pilsner Urquell. ...
Peroni Nastro Azzurro.

I don't like lager type beers I prefer Guiness which is sold here on draught and bottled. The problem with Guiness is, its very difficult to keep, if a barrel is knocked for example its got to be taken off line until it settles down. I was assistant steward for a Royal British Legion club a few years ago in Essex, part of my job was sorting out the various beers.
August 2nd, 2020  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I quite like the dry white wines, sweet is far too sweet for me



The beer brewed here are:-

Castle Lager. ...
Castle Lite. ...
Castle Milk Stout. ...
Hansa. ...
Carling Black Label. ...
Miller Genuine Draft. ...
Pilsner Urquell. ...
Peroni Nastro Azzurro.

I don't like lager type beers I prefer Guiness which is sold here on draught and bottled. The problem with Guiness is, its very difficult to keep, if a barrel is knocked for example its got to be taken off line until it settles down. I was assistant steward for a Royal British Legion club a few years ago in Essex, part of my job was sorting out the various beers.

My sweet tooth makes me more of a Riesling drinker although I am developing a taste for American Chardonnay, still cant drink reds, they all taste like they crushed the grape leaves instead of the fruit.
August 3rd, 2020  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
My sweet tooth makes me more of a Riesling drinker although I am developing a taste for American Chardonnay, still cant drink reds, they all taste like they crushed the grape leaves instead of the fruit.
Did you try any wines when you were here in SA Monty?
August 3rd, 2020  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Did you try any wines when you were here in SA Monty?
We did a tour that included Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl, the only winery I remember was Glenwood wines.
I liked South African Chardonnay but much like New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc they all tasted like old damp socks.

The highlight of the tour was Sabi Sands and Victoria Falls.

One day I would like to go back and go up the west coast to Namibia.