Court Won't Declare Chimp a Person

--

September 28th, 2007  
Team Infidel

Topic: Court Won't Declare Chimp a Person

Court Won't Declare Chimp a Person photo
VIENNA, Austria (AP) - He's now got a human name - Matthew Hiasl Pan - but he's having trouble getting his day in court. Animal rights activists campaigning to get Pan, a 26-year-old chimpanzee, legally declared a person vowed Thursday to take their challenge to Austria's Supreme Court after a...
September 29th, 2007  
Padre

If I were "Matthew Hiasl Pan's" lawyer, I would advise him to move to Massachusetts and make his case there. Backed by his two Mass. senators, it would only be a matter of time before he could be recognised as a person, citizen, registered voter, able to contract a marriage, and hell, one day succeed Kennedy or Kerry.
September 30th, 2007  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
Court Won't Declare Chimp a Person photo
VIENNA, Austria (AP) - He's now got a human name - Matthew Hiasl Pan - but he's having trouble getting his day in court. Animal rights activists campaigning to get Pan, a 26-year-old chimpanzee, legally declared a person vowed Thursday to take their challenge to Austria's Supreme Court after a...

Well thats a shocker.

I am always amazed that some of these case even make it as far as a court, surely there is some judicial department that screens these cases to prevent time wasting.
--
September 30th, 2007  
DTop

You'd think so wouldn't you? Unfortunately some people use the courts as a mere forum for promoting their pet causes. When there's no consequence for bringing court suits of no merit, it fosters an overly litigious society. This is a perfect example. It's interesting to see it happening in Austria though.