Course Tales: The Colonel's Transport

Mark Conley

Just another fine day in CQ office in the woods:

The CQ office was where the action...and the boredom often was at Camp Bullis, where we taught doctors the fine art of military medicine in the Field. Often, you pulled Charge of Quarters for a night and saw it all...doctors that had to make a phone call, people slightly hurt but run out to Brook Army medical center, The big wigs...an endless stream of ad nauseam (its latin) to fill the void up right.

One day, we had a colonel that was sitting on the front porch, enjoying the sun, and actually looking foward to being jacked out of the field the next day. He was an older , more experienced colonel, a really good one.

Sitting on the porch, he remarked that he was looking foward to leaving the camp...heck he wanted to leave that very day! Turning to me, he exclaimed " TSgt Conley, Call me a Cab".

So, without batting an eye I replied "Ok Sir, You're a Cab".

The four people in the CQ were stunned. first, no one even thought I had a sense of humor. Second, I hadnt shown any thing that even smelt like moxie at all. Third, this guy was an Air Force Colonel, and could make life very interesting for me one day....:p

The colonel just looked at me, and said "Very funny Airman Conley" gave a short laugh, and walked away. Actually, other than the two striper in the CQ almost died from laughing, not much happened to me for the incident.

And now for the rest of the story...ten years later.

I was almost out the door of my office when in walked one of the local Air Guard members i knew with...a one star general in tow. a air guard medical corp general. Now this was unusual, but what the heck...

When i had the courage to look at this mans face...yep you guessed it, a little older but he was that colonel. He looked at me and said "Dont I know You TSgt Conley?" I replied, "well i believe the last time we met, I was concerned with making your travel arrangments" He broke out laughing, i found the information he was looking for, and we had a good time after that.

It does come around folks. :hide:

Back