The Courland Pocket - Page 2

--

4 Weeks Ago  
MontyB

I tend to think the cold war defined how we saw the Red Army successes during WW2.

It was more politically prudent to sell the Eastern front as a failure of the German military than it was to show it as a Russian success.
4 Weeks Ago  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I tend to think the cold war defined how we saw the Red Army successes during WW2.

It was more politically prudent to sell the Eastern front as a failure of the German military than it was to show it as a Russian success.
That, plus how 'better" decisions by Hitler that would have benefited us in the post War period, Cold War, vs what might have benefited them at the time.
4 Weeks Ago  
MontyB

Strangely I am not sure Hitler made a great number of poor military decisions on the Eastern front.
Many cite the Lotzen decision, Stalingrad and the policy of creating fortress cities as examples of his incompetence in command yet I think there are very strong cases to be made for at least two of those and the third makes sense if you look at things from a German perspective.

If you want to look at the real failure of Germany in WW2 I suspect a good place to start would be it's military procurement policy that saw it producing countless types of weapons and vehicles in a system that had very limited capacity and raw materials.
--
4 Weeks Ago  
George

Quote:

If you want to look at the real failure of Germany in WW2 I suspect a good place to start would be it's military procurement policy that saw it producing countless types of weapons and vehicles in a system that had very limited capacity and raw materials.
reportedly still making things like refrigerators for the civilian market as late as 1943. Then things like 2 companies making the Hunting Tiger, if I remember right, to their own designs instead of one design. Romania wanted to make Panthers, but the Germans wanted such a high license fee that they couldn't afford it. Probably would have been usefull…..
3 Weeks Ago  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
reportedly still making things like refrigerators for the civilian market as late as 1943. Then things like 2 companies making the Hunting Tiger, if I remember right, to their own designs instead of one design. Romania wanted to make Panthers, but the Germans wanted such a high license fee that they couldn't afford it. Probably would have been usefull…..
I read somewhere the Italians wanted to make Panthers too, but it didn't work out well.
3 Weeks Ago  
MontyB

Quote:
I am convinced that Germany should have ditched the King Tiger altogether, built the Jadgpanzer IV in bulk from the Panzer IV lines as they used less materials and were well suited to a defensive war then developed the Panther in smaller numbers with the view that it would form the mainstay of a rebuilt and trained armoured corps later.
3 Weeks Ago  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
I read somewhere the Italians wanted to make Panthers too, but it didn't work out well.
The ones they were building didn't end well either...
3 Weeks Ago  
MontyB

Quote:
The ones they were building didn't end well either...
The Italians came up with a number of designs most of which were bad but they did produce ones like the P-40 which were more than adequate for the job.
3 Weeks Ago  
George

Quote:
The Italians came up with a number of designs most of which were bad but they did produce ones like the P-40 which were more than adequate for the job.
Hadn't heard of the P-40, considering the numbers probably why.
3 Weeks Ago  
MontyB

Quote:
Hadn't heard of the P-40, considering the numbers probably why.
To be fair it only went into production after the allied invasion of Italy which makes any production somewhat remarkable.